‘Smooth’ Florida tight end DeAndre Goolsby getting NFL notice

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

It’s better he didn’t get drafted....now he gets to pick his landing spot. I expect big things from him in Detroit! :grin:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

It’s better he didn’t get drafted....now he gets to pick his landing spot. I expect big things from him in Detroit! :grin:

Well, you’re a moron, so your expectations don’t amount to much. :lol:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

Who knows how he will respond if he gets actual coaching? I don’t think it’s fair to bag on the guy when everyone on this board unanimously hails Greg Nord as probably the worst position coach we’ve ever seen at UF. Plus his OC was Nuss, his HC was Mac and there was only a brief hope at QB for about 6 games in 3 years. And he had crappy S&C coaching, too.

Maybe he’ll make the practice squad. But he’s undersized, slow and had a weak bench press compared to other TEs in this class so I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets cut. He’s got his shot and I wish him well.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Goolsby will be drafted unless injury or character issues come up. That is a fact.
:giggle:

I like Goolsby. It's possible he could make a team somewhere. The majority of my opinion on the draft had to do with the coaching staff, not him. That coaching staff gave most of the players ZERO chance to succeed, and it's a criminal act. The TE's were totally screwed.

Mac ruined lives and ran into the night with millions.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
:giggle:

I like Goolsby. It's possible he could make a team somewhere. The majority of my opinion on the draft had to do with the coaching staff, not him. That coaching staff gave most of the players ZERO chance to succeed, and it's a criminal act. The TE's were totally screwed.

Mac ruined lives and ran into the night with millions.

You could say coaching staff ruined him, but I'd say Franks. The guy will not throw over the middle. Goolsby had 277 yards in 2015 and 350 yards in 2016. If he improves on that just a tad (400 yds) he gets drafted. Instead, he bombed last season with a whopping 105 yards. No one gets drafted looking like that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. Instead, he bombed last season with a whopping 105 yards. No one gets drafted looking like that.
Goolsby was rarely on the field, mostly because he couldn't block. Plenty of kids who play in option offenses and have no stats get drafted if they show good hands in their workouts and have good blocking film. This is on him, mostly though obviously having Nord as a position coach is approximately the same as having no one

Last edited:

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Goolsby was rarely on the field, mostly because he couldn't block. Plenty of kids who play an option offenses and have no stats get drafted if they show good hands in their workouts and have good blocking film. This is on him, mostly though obviously having Nord as a position coach is approximately the same as having no one

Rethinking my post, you are probably right. The biggest red flag was not even being invited to the combine. Not being able to block doesn't mean much. In today's nfl, you are either a move te or blocking te. I've seen plenty of nfl te's who can't even get in a guys way. Jordan Reed is still like that. Goolsby will get his shot. I wish the guy the best.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You could say coaching staff ruined him, but I'd say Franks.
If you look at Franks' high school tape he threw over the middle. That was something the coaching staff did.

Franks wasn't ready to play, no doubt, but that's on the staff too though.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
The fact he couldn’t even make it to training camp with Detroit isn’t a great sign.

He was cut for LB Trevor Bates. Patrica and Freeny coached him in New England. Understandable move having more to do with Bates being a known commodity to the coaching staff. Goolsby is an undrafted rookie FA. He won't get any breaks until he proves himself on the field if he gets the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.