“Smart” Home Gadgets?

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So, just bought a Ring doorbell and looking forward to installing it. I would say it is my first “smart” home product. Maybe the Ring falls more inline with security system, but whatever. What products have you tried? Hated? Loved?

The only other thing I would like is a camera inside the house as well. I tried a Dlink a few years ago and ended up throwing it in the trash because configuring it was damn near impossible. Maybe also a doorlock.

We have some friends who’s house is 100% “smart”. They say, “we are leaving Alexa.” And the blinds all shut, curtains close, all lights go off, thermostat adjusts, water valve closes, and alarm sets.

BeachGator

Mar 10, 2018
So, just bought a Ring doorbell and looking forward to installing it. I would say it is my first “smart” home product. Maybe the Ring falls more inline with security system, but whatever. What products have you tried? Hated? Loved?

The only other thing I would like is a camera inside the house as well. I tried a Dlink a few years ago and ended up throwing it in the trash because configuring it was damn near impossible. Maybe also a doorlock.

We have some friends who’s house is 100% “smart”. They say, “we are leaving Alexa.” And the blinds all shut, curtains close, all lights go off, thermostat adjusts, water valve closes, and alarm sets.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Start with winning the current raffle.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have the echo, an echo show, two dots, blinds, thermostat, cameras and a crap load of lights and switches.

I really like being able to control the thermostat, blinds and lights. Like your buddy's "we're leaving" I have "watching a movie" that sets the lights exactly how I like them. Unfortunately I can't include the blinds in a scene, because the scenes are done through a wink hub and the blinds aren't compatible with wink.

The echo show is a waste in my opinion.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Did you know you could use your echo’s as an intercom system?

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have the echo, an echo show, two dots, blinds, thermostat, cameras and a crap load of lights and switches.

I really like being able to control the thermostat, blinds and lights. Like your buddy's "we're leaving" I have "watching a movie" that sets the lights exactly how I like them. Unfortunately I can't include the blinds in a scene, because the scenes are done through a wink hub and the blinds aren't compatible with wink.

The echo show is a waste in my opinion.

If you had to start from scratch, would you start with a hub and build with items that are compatible with it?

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
If you had to start from scratch, would you start with a hub and build with items that are compatible with it?

I am building my system with devices that communicate directly with my router with no proprietary hubs in-between the devices and router. Nest, Eufy, etc, then controlling via Echo.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am building my system with devices that communicate directly with my router with no proprietary hubs in-between the devices and router. Nest, Eufy, etc, then controlling via Echo.

So Echo acts as a control center? Does echo control these devices by managing them through their own app or does echo do it directly?

I have a sweet Logitech all in one remote that is truly remarkable and so damn smart. It’s amazing how integrated the TV, sound system, cable box, and fire stick setup it does. Having said that, the kids and wife can barely use it. Im afraid an all-in-one control home center would also be met with the same confusion vs just using each app independently.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
So Echo acts as a control center? Does echo control these devices by managing them through their own app or does echo do it directly?

I have a sweet Logitech all in one remote that is truly remarkable and so damn smart. It’s amazing how integrated the TV, sound system, cable box, and fire stick setup it does. Having said that, the kids and wife can barely use it. Im afraid an all-in-one control home center would also be met with the same confusion vs just using each app independently.

Each brand has its own app. I have Nest for cameras and thermostats, Alarm.com for builder installed home security system monitoring, Wemo for wall plugs and Eufy for light bulbs. I have four different apps, each of which controls only its devices. Then you register each app with Amazon’s Echo via Alexa and voice control everything. Or go to the Alexa app which can also control everything.

Think of Echo as the Logitech remote. I also use the Logitech but that can apparently be replaced with the Fire Stick.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It depends on what starting from scratch is.

For example, I bought mysmartblinds to control my blinds. They don't work with any standard hub and they have limited functionality with alexa. But retrofitting my blinds was way cheaper than buying new blinds that might have better smart home integration.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Also, it isn't that big of a deal to get multiple hubs if you have devices with different standards. When I first got all this stuff I had to use the scenes feature in a hub to execute a group of commands. Now alexa has routines to do the same thing. Except the bitch can't control the blinds as part of a routine.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Also, I recommend checking out the app IFTTT (if this then that). You can use it to set up things like, if I come within a half mile of home then turn on the AC.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
It looks like technology is going away from individual hubs. Just make sure any device is Alexa compatible if you go that way. You just set up simple commands for tasks on Alexa. My kids love it.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

Rich people.
tumblr_p6uhr2ZxGd1wzvt9qo1_500.gif

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A was talking to a coworker and he got a bunch of Wyze cameras through some sort of promotion. So he gave me one. This little thing is pretty damn cool, was ultra easy to setup, and is very affordable. There is a corny little video in the Amazon link:

Wyze Cam 1080p HD Indoor Wireless Smart Home Camera with Night Vision, 2-Way Audio, Works with Alexa Amazon product

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
I had a lot of problems with the cheap cameras I had. Nest cams are pretty solid. Definitely cost more.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A was talking to a coworker and he got a bunch of Wyze cameras through some sort of promotion. So he gave me one. This little thing is pretty damn cool, was ultra easy to setup, and is very affordable. There is a corny little video in the Amazon link:

Wyze Cam 1080p HD Indoor Wireless Smart Home Camera with Night Vision, 2-Way Audio, Works with Alexa Amazon product

I looked at the wyze cams, but I decided against them after reading reviews about them recording when turned off and sending data to servers in China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.