10 years ago, if I told you...

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Deonte Thompson would still be on an NFL roster and Percy Harvin would be out of the league...would you believe me?

Btw, he is playing for the Cowboys on a 1 year deal. They just released Dez Bryant so he might actually get a decent amount of PT this year.

I have a feeling we’re gonna start to see a lot more skill position players getting drafted and having solid NFL careers than we’ve seen under Champ and Mac.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Or that wed have two losing seasons and zero championships in 10 years?

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Touché. I’m curious to see how quickly Mullen can turn things around. I expect a lot more kids on the offensive side of the ball to get drafted under Mullen than we saw under Mac and Champ.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Deonte Thompson would still be on an NFL roster and Percy Harvin would be out of the league...would you believe me?

Btw, he is playing for the Cowboys on a 1 year deal. They just released Dez Bryant so he might actually get a decent amount of PT this year.

I have a feeling we’re gonna start to see a lot more skill position players getting drafted and having solid NFL careers than we’ve seen under Champ and Mac.

Yeah, football can be unpredictable like that. Lots of late bloomers that weren’t viewed as superstars in college who go to the NFL and seem to have better or longer careers than guys who were studs in college. It also applies to kids leaving HS for the college ranks and suddenly they hit their stride.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I thought this was going to be about hope and change.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I mean, that’s been business as usual for what, 75% of Florida football history?
Asssquatch has gone all 0-10-1.

Do you really think ANY of that crap from back when Florida was nothing but a swamp and had less population than Missippi is relevent in anyway?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Asssquatch has gone all 0-10-1.

Do you really think ANY of that crap from back when Florida was nothing but a swamp and had less population than Missippi is relevent in anyway?
Just stating facts, sorry if the truth hurts. I'll help you bandage your ankle up from jumping off the bandwagon.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
People who are comfortable with losing do.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I mean, that’s been business as usual for what, 75% of Florida football history?

From 1984 to 2009 UF won the SEC title on the field 9 times or slightly better than every 3rd season. That is business as usual for UF after Florida's population grew enough to have double digit electoral votes. Then Foley decide he would show the world that he was a great picker of football coaches.

Your thought gives Foley way too little credit. Anyone could struggle a bit at UF back before UF had all the advantages of population it has now. It takes a real star to set a program with all the current advantages of UF as far back as Foley has.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
From 1984 to 2009 UF won the SEC title on the field 9 times or slightly better than every 3rd season. That is business as usual for UF after Florida's population grew enough to have double digit electoral votes. Then Foley decide he would show the world that he was a great picker of football coaches.

Your thought gives Foley way too little credit. Anyone could struggle a bit at UF back before UF had all the advantages of population it has now. It takes a real star to set a program with all the current advantages of UF as far back as Foley has.
Florida football has been around for 112 years now. So my math is fairly accurate if you include some of the random years here and there when we were really good outside of that 25 year stretch.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

Good observations, but a better measure of this advantage would be population divided by those programs that are significant. Our state has many such and more being added. Who would think that central florida would have a perfect season and claim some mythical championship ten years ago?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

I think it stands out since the around the mid 80s minus a couple of probation years since Florida is such a big recruiting ground etc. To me you have the mid 80s time forward and the times before that as far as what should be expected.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
A lot of programs have had pockets of success sprawled out over a century. Weve had all of ours over a course of 33 years. But just about every program aside from a handful have about the same succes rate.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Well, technically. We had a NT and SEC title in that ten year span. But yeah. If you told me we would have two seasons with a combined 8 wins id laugh at you

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Bear Bryant years ago, around the time I was hanging out at Nickel Beer Night, referred to Florida as a sleeping giant.

Problem was, we couldn't figure out how to wake it up.

Pell, Spurrier, Meyer. Every so often we get lucky enough to hire someone with a big poke stick.

Keep pokin', Gators.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wouldn't have shocked me. Look at football history, Bama after Bryant, Notre Dame after Parseghian/Devine. I could go on. Lot's of programs struggle to get back after they've lost great coaches. Some never get back.
Great post and pretty much spot on. Hell didn't Army win some NC's back in the 40's and 50's?
I think what makes this seem like such a dry spell is that we had the good fortune of having 2 great coaches only within 3 years apart. That's pretty unusual. A lot of historically great programs sometimes go decades between NC's. UT, USC, ND, Michigan, OU, Penn State, OSU and Nebraska are all considered historically "higher up" than UF on a long term scale yet none of them have won 3 NC's in the last 4 decades.....Only Bama, Miami ,FSU and UF can claim that fact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.