Happy Anniversary! Jim McElwain fired

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How much of a buffoon does Stricklin look like now?
Well.... I don't know. There are written reports now also that support that there was a huge rift between Butters and the administration almost from the beginning. Howver, knowing this, I don't really know how you extend him (and Nuss).

Maybe Strickland is just now feeling confident and getting his sea legs.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
we don't get to count "and yets" anymore during pressers :lol:

Also, Is Shannon the one taking over? And does that officially make him the first black head coach at UF?
It would.

Jim McElwain was Gator coach for less than three full seasons but it felt like six full seasons if they ask me.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well.... I don't know. There are written reports now also that support that there was a huge rift between Butters and the administration almost from the beginning. Howver, knowing this, I don't really know how you extend him (and Nuss).

Unless there was a real concern about him being hired away -- which seems laughable now -- it made no sense to sweeten the pot prematurely, esp it being Stricklin's first year. Normally a new AD takes a wait and see approach. Maybe Stricklin couldn't wait to see another SEC East title.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Unless there was a real concern about him being hired away -- which seems laughable now -- it made no sense to sweeten the pot prematurely, esp it being Stricklin's first year. Normally a new AD takes a wait and see approach.
Yeah..... I dont understand.

Maybe they still had hope for him til he refused to fix OC and offense.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
For some reason, I have a fair amount of pity for Mac compared to the chump firing (absolutely none in 2014). Not saying Mac needed “one more year.” I think it’s the right call based on mounds of stats and the eye test.

I guess I’m just baffled at the odd chain of events that led to Mac’s undoing (a considerable amount of his own doing). Whereas with chump, the guy has an incredible amount of stubborn arrogance that inspired more anger in me than any other UF coach dating back to dickey (my early years).

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but those are my thoughts. Maybe I’m getting soft now that I’m eligible for AARP membership.

I don’t and I don’t feel that way about just Mac but rather all of them. Any coach that gets a HC job at a place like UF and then scores a contract extension is set for life. These guys are walking away with $10m or more buyouts plus they’ve been making $3-$5m per year for the 3 or 4 years they were employed here. That doesn’t even take in to account the $750k+ per year they made as a coordinator and/or HC at their prior stops. Trust me, these guys won’t have to stress about making the mortgage payment, the COBRA payments for healthcare, groceries, etc. Their kids will still get mountains of gifts come Christmas time. You want to feel bad for somebody...feel bad for the guy making $75k per year who loses his job through no fault of his own when his employer goes belly up and he has a wife and kids to support.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
UF , UT, Ole Missy 100%. I also think A&M but not 100% sure, not sure about Barn. I could see Arky being soft and keeping Bert. And Cowbell yes, when some idiots take Cousin Eddie.
UT - Petrino
Ole Miss - Kiffin
A&M - Morris (SMU coach)

UF - Scott Frost

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@SECcountry: Report: Chip Kelly hasn’t heard from Florida or Tennessee, choice will come down to recruiting

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/repo...florida-tennessee-choice-will-come-recruiting

If it comes down to UF and ut “and” recruiting is a major contributing factor, you gotta think UF has the obvious edge! Tenn HAS to recruit out of state out of necessity. We could sign a top 10 class every year with JUST Florida kids..... Take a few cream of the crop kids from out of state and he’d have a top 3 class every single year!

Stricklin better pony up and offer whatever he wants in terms of assembling a top notch coaching staff and support staff. If we’re ever gonna catch back up and be on top of the mountain again, this is our chance to do it! Don’t blow it Stricklin & company.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

Yeah, why give more time & money to a coach you don’t like? Frustrating but to your point about sea legs, having Foley looking over your shoulder when you’re the new guy can’t be easy. Let’s hope that Stricklin has the balls and the brains on a go forward basis to be a better steward of athletic department resources when it comes to giving extensions and raises.

Punto

BANNED
Jan 22, 2015
My message to Mac: Go get your F---ing Shine Box!!! Got no time, patience, or energy for cry-baby hacks who do nothing but disappoint.

My message to Foley: You are, have been, and always will be a Loser. You may be be gone, but your incompetence is not forgotten.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
My message to Mac: Go get your F---ing Shine Box!!! Got no time, patience, or energy for cry-baby hacks who do nothing but disappoint.

My message to Foley: You are, have been, and always will be a Loser. You may be be gone, but your incompetence is not forgotten.
:burn2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb