Happy Anniversary! Jim McElwain fired

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I really didn't think the administration would have the guts to pull this off. Kudos to Stricklin for doing it.

I think Monday's press conference was a huge piece of this because they already didn't like Mac, but the whole death threats thing gave them the ability to get out for a lot less money.

Before the season I thought it was almost guaranteed that Mac would get one more year.. unless a perfect storm of horrible happened...

Guess what... it happened.

1. Suspensions of 9 players for credit card fraud (2 key starters)
2. Lack of any offensive improvement
3. DelRio - who was best starting QB (which is a problem) is out for the season
4. Mac himself as a coach - team should have beat LSU and A&M... it is harder to fire a coach who is winning, even if ugly
5. Mac himself as a person - his press conference was the final straw.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure which thread is the best to say this, but I simply had a great weekend this weekend. It wasn't a perfect weekend, but it was very enjoyable. And really the best part about it, besides the quality family time with my wife and son, is that I knew all day Saturday that Mac would be fired, and then he was the next day. Gator nation can breath a sigh of relief and celebrate. The loser is gone 13 months earlier than expected, and it appears that we finally have an AD that isn't going to continue to destroy Gator football. I hate UGA, but somehow I'm not even bothered by the loss because I know that things are finally going to get better for this program. Go Gators.

:chomp:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Can we stop this "mutually agreed to part ways" BS? If that were true, Mac would have walked away with a handshake and no buyout. Instead, they have been in a negotiation where he gets millions to fail.

I'll keep saying it. At a minimum because it irritates some on here :grin: But seriously, it is mutual if we're not dragging this into court or arbitration and Mac isn't throwing a btchfest all the way to the bank. What does each side want? We want him out. DONE! He wants the money he was promised, though we don't want to pay the full amount. While the final payout isn't defined (from my understanding), it should end up less than the contract called for, so WE get what we want out of it, and HE gets some of what he wants out of it. Therefore, it is a mutual agreed parting - not a knock down drag out media fkfest.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
My lord if one of the rumors is true, we paid 4m to Mac and out of that he pays the 1.5m we still owe CSU. Net cost to us 2.5m.

Net cost to us is STILL the full 4M. Net into Mac's pocket is only 2.5M because HE is paying CSU.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Net cost to us is STILL the full 4M. Net into Mac's pocket is only 2.5M because HE is paying CSU.

Ok help me here. We owed CSU 1.5. We hadn't finished paying them yet. Now Mac pays it. Gross 4m. Net 2.5m. What am I missing.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ok help me here. We owed CSU 1.5. We hadn't finished paying them yet. Now Mac pays it. Gross 4m. Net 2.5m. What am I missing.

He's saying Mac owes it, not us. I can't remember the terms.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He's saying Mac owes it, not us. I can't remember the terms.

I read that Mac eats his 1.5 and our 1.5. What's a few pennies among friends. It's all rumor anyway. the only thing we know for sure is:

HE'S GONE.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He's gone, and he's getting 7 figures to fail miserably and heavily damage the brand. There's something wrong with that.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He's gone, and he's getting 7 figures to fail miserably and heavily damage the brand. There's something wrong with that.

Foley trying to extend his image as the value-play sleuth. Some value.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

You make a bad hire and you make a bad deal you pay the price. If we got out for a little (in relative terms) then I'm OK with it. It minimizes the damage. I really don't think it helps to hear about negotiations gone bad and law suits for the rest of the year. Do I think after all this crap he deserves one red cent? No. It's the cost of doing business with a bozo.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
The final nail in the coffin - UF finishes the Mac Error ranked #113 in total Offense and #111 on Passing O.

Interesting stat - UGA is ranked #112 in Passing Offense.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I guess this means no more Belk commercials?

He could do one of those Tide-stick commercials replacing the mustard stain with BBQ-stain. Well, there would be a problem since they'd have two unintelligable voices at once.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Can we stop this "mutually agreed to part ways" BS? If that were true, Mac would have walked away with a handshake and no buyout. Instead, they have been in a negotiation where he gets millions to fail. Is someone honestly trying to tell me that if UF had made no move Mac would have walked away with no money on his own? Of course not.

He may have wanted to leave, but ultimately he was fired. Period.

Nope, they mutually agree to part company. What that means is that neither party can sue the other party unless they can show they agreed to the mutual agreement due to fraud by the other side.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@TimBrando: The McElwain circumstances far too complicated for 140 characters. I’ll say this, Gators be happy Scott Stricklin is your AD. 1 of the BEST!

Quite a statement

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
The final nail in the coffin - UF finishes the Mac Error ranked #113 in total Offense and #111 on Passing O.

Interesting stat - UGA is ranked #112 in Passing Offense.

With Chubb and MIchel going to the League next year and Fromm not showing a lot of talent, I think we win next year's cocktail party with our new coach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb