Justin Fields decides to remain a leghumper

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

Mullen? I went back 5 years on Rivals and it is 25th. So, it's not like he was playing against teams(ranked or unranked) with 150lb linemen or 190 pound linebackers. One could argue he under performed with his talent. Seems like he never outschemed anyone.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Mullen? I went back 5 years on Rivals and it is 25th. So, it's not like he was playing against teams(ranked or unranked) with 150lb linemen or 190 pound linebackers. One could argue he under performed with his talent. Seems like he never outschemed anyone.

You're right. Being ranked 25th in recruiting isn't all that bad. Until you consider that said ranking puts you consistently behind Lsu, Ala, Aub, OM and A&M(they tend to play those guys), not to mention the years they draw UF, uga, and/or Ut from the East. Every time he was in the game against any of those teams, let alone the times he won, you could credit it to his scheming.

I'm not sure one could attempt to call his performance at Msu underachieving, but I'm sure at least ONE will try.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
You're right. Being ranked 25th in recruiting isn't all that bad. Until you consider that said ranking puts you consistently behind Lsu, Ala, Aub, Ala, OM and A&M(they tend to play those guys), not to mention the years they draw UF, uga, and/or Ut from the East. Every time he was in the game against any of those teams, let alone the times he won, you could credit it to his scheming.

I'm not sure one could attempt to call his performance at Msu underachieving, but I'm sure at least ONE will try.

Wouldn't you expect a GREAT coach to at least pull a few upsets? Mac could never ever beat those more talented teams. It was Mullen like but better. You are excusing his results but it's not like he was playing with blind kids. I would feel a lot better if he didn't have the worst record in history against ranked teams. You don't think that is worrisome?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Wouldn't you expect a GREAT coach to at least pull a few upsets? Mac could never ever beat those more talented teams. It was Mullen like but better. You are excusing his results but it's not like he was playing with blind kids. I would feel a lot better if he didn't have the worst record in history against ranked teams. You don't think that is worrisome?

So, change it. Do something to get Mullen out and put your coach in....whoever that is.......let me know when that happens....

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
That's the point though. You need some luck and breaks to go your way to win it, but if Mullen is going to compete for championships we'll know a lot sooner than year 7. I'd say by year 3 it'll be obvious if this was another mistake or not. Saban ain't getting any younger so somebody is going to take over as top Dog or top Gator. If he can't beat Kirby then fuhgeddaboutit.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Well this year alone he beat Lsu and A&M (and was within 7 of Alabama).
Last year he beat A&M and OM.
In 2015 he beat Auburn.
In 2014 Lsu, Auburn and A&m(5 point loss to Alabama)

Every year he's beaten a few teams that had much more talent, and has played eventual NC teams to 3-6 point losses. I'm not excusing anything. I'm stating reality that his record is one of the more impressive out there given the circumstances. As I posted a week or so ago, if Ala or uga wins it all, that would make 6 times in 9 seasons that he had to play the eventual NC winner. And should one of those two make the finals, an additional 4 times he would'e faced the eventual runner up(not counting us in 2009). Forget names and coaching preferences. That stat is absurd. The West has chewed up and spit out coaches since 2008, either because they couldn't win enough or because they had to cheat to even stay close.

Again, I'm ok with having some worry about Mullen. I may even share certain concerns. But you could make just as much of an argument that Frost wasn't ready for the big stage with zero counter evidence. You could argue that Kelly and some of his baggage may have hindered him here in recruiting, not to mention his lack of SEC knowledge and insistence on tempo which has noted and irrefutable defensive side effects. Any and all candidates were going to carry their fair share of risks. I just see no point in focusing solely on the negatives and ignoring the numerous reasons many national analysts feel this is a great hire. I love to argue, and we've had some fun ones on here. But I honestly don't see a single reason to not sit back, hope for the best and try to enjoy UF football again.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
In 2015 he beat Auburn.

In 2014 LSU, Barn and A&M were all 8-5 that year. They sucked. 2015 Barn was 7-6. 2016 Ole Miss was 5-7. A&M was 8-5. This is your evidence? Wow...I'm blown away.
many national analysts feel this is a great hire.

Am I in the twilight zone? We heard all the same junk with Chump then with Mac and now the same with Mullen. Call me crazy...just not sold on Mullen. Gonna have to prove it.

We are all still Gators though and that is the most important thing of all.

Last edited:

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
In 2015 he beat Auburn.

Every year he's beaten a few teams that had much more talent, and has played eventual NC teams to 3-6 point losses. I'm not excusing anything. I'm stating reality that his record is one of the more impressive out there given the circumstances. As I posted a week or so ago, if Ala or uga wins it all, that would make 6 times in 9 seasons that he had to play the eventual NC winner. And should one of those two make the finals, an additional 4 times he would'e faced the eventual runner up(not counting us in 2009). Forget names and coaching preferences. That stat is absurd. The West has chewed up and spit out coaches since 2008, either because they couldn't win enough or because they had to cheat to even stay close.

Again, I'm ok with having some worry about Mullen. I may even share certain concerns. But you could make just as much of an argument that Frost wasn't ready for the big stage with zero counter evidence. You could argue that Kelly and some of his baggage may have hindered him here in recruiting, not to mention his lack of SEC knowledge and insistence on tempo which has noted and irrefutable defensive side effects. Any and all candidates were going to carry their fair share of risks. I just see no point in focusing solely on the negatives and ignoring the numerous reasons many national analysts feel this is a great hire. I love to argue, and we've had some fun ones on here. But I honestly don't see a single reason to not sit back, hope for the best and try to enjoy UF football again.
Agree to a point, but those moral victories that make you a hero in S-Ville wil get you fired in G-Ville.

Superior Jimmy's and Joe's are his only chance here, so we will actually get our first piece of objective data very soon which is purty kewl.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
You're right. Being ranked 25th in recruiting isn't all that bad. Until you consider that said ranking puts you consistently behind Lsu, Ala, Aub, OM and A&M(they tend to play those guys), not to mention the years they draw UF, uga, and/or Ut from the East. Every time he was in the game against any of those teams, let alone the times he won, you could credit it to his scheming.

The years he drew UF, UGA, and TN the teams were in a down year and didn't finish above .500 in the SEC. It speaks volumes to me that he only has 2 wins against teams with a winning SEC record knowing he had several opportunities and failed. My point is if you put Saban or Meyer as the coach at MSU with the same players the last 9 years they would have found a way to win more games against the elite teams. It might not have been a lot more games but they wouldn't have had a 6-32 record against top 25 teams, it would have been somewhere around 15-23.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Is this a Justin Fields thread or our coach "Sucks" v. "no he doesn't suck" girl fight?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
In 2014 LSU, Barn and A&M were all 8-5 that year. They sucked. 2015 Barn was 7-6. This is your evidence? Wow...I'm blown away.

Am I in the twilight zone? We heard all the same junk with Chump then with Mac and now the same with Mullen. Call me crazy...just not sold on Mullen. Gonna have to prove it.

We are all still Gators though and that is the most important thing of all.

Your post said (paraphrased) "shouldn't he be upsets over those more talented teams from time to time". I provided examples of where he did. Again, the initial question was about talent. Do you think he had more talent than UF or uga in 2010? Neither were good teams that year, but he found a way to win with far less.

On WM and JM, they both came with serious unknowns--one being a first time HC, and the other having 3 years under his belt in Colorado. You could make legit arguments that both would fail based on their body of work, or lack thereof. You really can't here. But in any event, you're making my point. If every coach (including Meyer in 2005) can be picked apart if you strictly look at the negatives, then what's the use? Anyone that we hired this offseason could've been debated over and over again. I just don't see the point. But we can agree that DM is going to have to prove it. No question there.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The years he drew UF, UGA, and TN the teams were in a down year and didn't finish above .500 in the SEC. It speaks volumes to me that he only has 2 wins against teams with a winning SEC record knowing he had several opportunities and failed. My point is if you put Saban or Meyer as the coach at MSU with the same players the last 9 years they would have found a way to win more games against the elite teams. It might not have been a lot more games but they wouldn't have had a 6-32 record against top 25 teams, it would have been somewhere around 15-23.

Should've hired Saban or Meyer then. Not sure how we missed that. Dammit, it was right there!

But in the off chance that neither were available, could you prove that Frost would've? Or Kelly? Because that's really more the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.