Justin Fields decides to remain a leghumper

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Other than a few on this board, I haven't any real anger except Brindise and he backed off. Please document this statement with links to links to articles, twitter, op eds, whatever, that support the statement "many close to the program are so angry."
9 decommits might be disappointed not angry. They were close to the program.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Your bar is 8-5 or 7-6 teams? Really?

EDIT: Sorry...I'll tap out.

Please do. I come to this board to find information on my Gators; this specific thread to find the latest on Fields. I already knew that you hated the Mullen hire. So I've learned nothing else from your negativity and pessimism.

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Please do. I come to this board to find information on my Gators; this specific thread to find the latest on Fields. I already knew that you hated the Mullen hire. So I've learned nothing else from your negativity and pessimism.
He's coming around. Slowly but surely.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Not year three, year one. I don't expect to win titles right away but I do expect to see improvement.
Not year one ... Feb 7th. O&B GAME. 1ST Game of the season. It answers 1. Can he recruit 2. Can he make wholesale changes on both sides of the ball in time to entertain us at the O&B? 3. 1st game...do they look like they WANT to play? If the answer is yes to all three then we hired the right guy to stabilize the program and brand.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Three things:

1) We don't have half the talent we had in 1989. The roster is in shambles.
2) The conference has changed dramatically and is one hell of a lot more competitive.
3) Most of all, Dan Mullen is not Steve Spurrier.

When Meyer took over in 2005, the cupboard was full. That sure as hell isn't the case now. Even Urban Meyer would take 4 years to win it all here this time instead of 2.

1. UF has plenty of talent on its roster. For example no one thought UF any WR talent in 1989, but in 1990 there was plenty. Similarly there was a QB lurking on UF's roster too. There were DBs, LBs etc.

2. Yes the conference has dramatically changed. THIS IS THE WORST SEC IN MY LIFETIME and I am old. In 1990 UF played UAL, AU, LSU and UTn all who won 10+ games in an 11 game + a bowl schedule in 1989.

3. I agree.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
1. UF has plenty of talent on its roster. For example no one thought UF any WR talent in 1989, but in 1990 there was plenty. Similarly there was a QB lurking on UF's roster too. There were DBs, LBs etc.

2. Yes the conference has dramatically changed. THIS IS THE WORST SEC IN MY LIFETIME and I am old. In 1990 UF played UAL, AU, LSU and UTn all who won 10+ games in an 11 game + a bowl schedule in 1989.

3. I agree.
Who is UAL?

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@TreyW_Radio: Looks as though Texas A&M & FSU are visiting with QB Justin Fields. It will be difficult to pry away from Dawgs, but Jake Fromm isn’t going anywhere for a bit.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not year one ... Feb 7th. O&B GAME. 1ST Game of the season. It answers 1. Can he recruit 2. Can he make wholesale changes on both sides of the ball in time to entertain us at the O&B? 3. 1st game...do they look like they WANT to play? If the answer is yes to all three then we hired the right guy to stabilize the program and brand.
I don't think he needs to make wholesale changes. as un talented as this roster is it's going to take a while. but it can't be getting worse every year and the recruiting can't be a disaster. I think reasonable people understand it's going to take a few years.

I also think Mullen knows we expecting to score some points and throw the ball.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

3. I agree.
Spurrier was able to take a conference by storm that was still playing 1940's football. That could never happen again. And while UF has some talented skill players, there is no depth at all. The 1989 team had more depth.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think he needs to make wholesale changes. as un talented as this roster is it's going to take a while. but it can't be getting worse every year and the recruiting can't be a disaster. I think reasonable people understand it's going to take a few years.

I also think Mullen knows we expecting to score some points and throw the ball.
By "wholesale changes" I mean a different scheme on both the O and the D. If he and his staff can show glimpses of NOT looking like a total cluster by the O&B game...thats a win.
I think it will take 2-3 years to be truly competitive. I don't think Mullen is the answer for an elite program though.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

3. I agree.
Iirc, the TE was the leading receiver. KIRK KIRPATRICK ?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If UGa can start freshmen QBs 2 years in a row, if Eason & Fromm were injured don't you know Smart would start Fields in 2018. Well why isn't it valid that we start stud Carrol? Our version of Fromm could greatly improve our wins.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

3. I agree.

1) We were coming off of three years of probation. Hard to believe that team had more talent. Spurrier certainly got the most out of what he had though.
2) Spurrier's first three years in the SEC the conference had 4, 3, 4 teams ranked in the top 25. The last three years the conference has had 4, 4, 5 teams ranked. Not significantly different.
3) Nobody is Spurrier.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

Calm down. I even defended Mullen already. This year's recruiting class is a transition class so you can't really judge him on this one. I may be down on the hire but I will give him a fair chance. If I am pleasantly surprised great. Just an FYI, if we go back and look at most of our posters...in fact...the poll that was on here was pretty telling...a lot of us did not want him. Sorry I'm not falling in line, yet. AT some point I will come to terms with it but I am not there yet. That doesn't make me a serial killer btw.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
But.....

the conference is playing 1940s football again.

There’s some truth to that.

I’d also add that we took the league by storm in ‘90 through ‘93 at best. Beyond that, we were just out athleting and out working the others. Some of the basic skinny posts we ran were just run to perfection by Doering and others. Any system, demanded to be run perfectly, can be effective. If we do that, we can turn even this basic roster around very quickly, imo. We need to think big.

Last edited:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
There’s some truth to that.

I’d also add that we took the league by storm in ‘90 through ‘93 at best. Beyond that, we were just out athleting and out working the others. Some of the basic skinny posts we ran were just run to perfection by Doering and others. Any system, demanded to be run perfectly, can be effective. If we do that, we can turn even this basic roster around very quickly, imo. We need to think big.
I like the sentiment but I've been Muswainened. Santa's dead to me. (until proven otherwise)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb