2-5 FSU trying to reschedule cancelled UL-M game to get bowl eligible

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I hate FSU, but this is a genius idea. What's Northern Colorado doing December 2nd?

Florida State might end up rescheduling its home game with ULM, ostensibly to preserve its bowl streak

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...florida-state-bowl-streak-1981-ulm-reschedule

Florida State has a problem. The Noles have started the season 2-5, which makes bowl eligibility anything but a lock with Clemson on the schedule as well as tricky dates with Syracuse and Florida. The way FSU is playing, neither of those are slam dunks.

The Noles only have 11 scheduled games this year thanks to Hurricane Irma forcing the cancellation of the second game of the season against ULM.

Because of their poor seasons, both Florida State and rival Florida may be playing with bowl eligibility on the line in the final week of the season.

Either team could reschedule its canceled game from earlier in the season to get to 12. FSU could host ULM, or Florida could host Northern Colorado, on a Saturday when neither team will have to worry about a scheduling conflict: conference championship weekend.

It seems like the Noles are strongly considering adding ULM on that vacant date after the formal regular season, according to comments AD Stan WIlcox made to The Orlando Sentinel.

“We’re working on a release that will come out next week,” Wilcox said after an athletics board meeting Wednesday afternoon.

“[Coach] Jimbo [Fisher] and I have talked about it. And we’ve talked to a lot of other people. We want to wait until after this week, and then put something out next week.”

FSU would host Louisiana-Monroe in Doak Campbell Stadium on Dec. 2, a day reserved for college football conference championship games.

But a local event — Tallahassee’s Winter Festival, scheduled from 3-10 p.m. on the same day — has complicated logistical plans to have law enforcement in place for the football game.

If bowl eligibility is still in the balance heading into the makeup with ULM, the optics will be that the Noles added a previously cancelled game back on the schedule just to preserve the bowl streak that has endured since 1981.

There’s also the benefit to local business in Tallahassee, and it’s unlikely that the team would say no to more practice and game reps, particularly if it’s not bowl-bound. But it’ll still be kinda funny if FSU makes a middling bowl thanks to a win against a Sun Belt team.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I consider this the embarrassing cherry on their awesome year. :lol:

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
Noles are looking at a 3 win season. The extra game is not going to help.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I hope that ULM agrees and gets it in writing that they will receive their huge check for going to Tallcrappy. Then FSU loses 2 of 3 against Clemmy, Cuse and UF, (quite possible), thus the ULM game would only give them 4 wins. Then FSU cancels b/c of that, and has to pay them a check anyway. Or they play and about 12,000 fans show up. That would be the ultimate negative recruiting tool.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I really hope Cuse can beat FSU on Saturday...

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I consider this the embarrassing cherry on their awesome year. :lol:
You ain’t kidding. Embarrassing is the understatement of year. This is cringeworthy.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
They could always play in Baton Rouge. Or I guess Monroe.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Regular top 5 talent in the nation and currently 2-5... the quarterback isn't the only problem... FSU might need to take another look into Jimbo "Offensive-Guru" Fisher's contract......

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
But a local event — Tallahassee’s Winter Festival, scheduled from 3-10 p.m. on the same day — has complicated logistical plans to have law enforcement in place for the football game.

There’s also the benefit to local business in Tallahassee,

Are they sure the football game would benefit local business more than the Tallahassee Winter Festival? At this point, I'm betting the festival brings more folks into town.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Regular top 5 talent in the nation and currently 2-5... the quarterback isn't the only problem... FSU might need to take another look into Jimbo "Offensive-Guru" Fisher's contract......

There's a bunch of stories out about them cleaning house w/ assistant coaches....and players not respecting them. The DC is gone. The OC is gone. WR coach is gone. Jimbo has some ridiculous buyout, more than $20 million, so they're not firing him.

I think this is still a genius idea in that even if they don't make a bowl game they get another game, another week to practice, etc.

We're in a bit of a different situation w/ an entirely new staff coming in, so does it really help us if we did something similar (in rescheduling NCU)? Probably not. Hopefully we win out, Randy Shannon wins SEC COY, we win our bowl game, and Scott Frost takes over - landing the #1 recruiting class in the country, we get 91,000 at the spring game, Corral is named the starter, we blow through our schedule until the Cocktail Party where we blowout UGA, we curb stomp FSU, beat Bama in the SECCG, beat USCw in the 1st round of the playoff, then beat Ohio State in the championship game....causing Urban to have another heart attack, Saban retires from Alabama, they replace him w/ Butters....and repeat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.