2009 Sugar Bowl #3 12-0 Cincinnati Bearcubs vs #5 12-1 Flahduh Fighting Tebows

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Dang! Often the WRs were wide open, but often he was hitting receivers in stride or gunning it into a narrow window. When did he become so inaccurate?

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
I went to this game with my dad. It was a lot of fun to see Tebow rack up all those yards. He broke Vince Young's bcs bowl record of total yards in a game. Threw for over 300 and ran for over a 100 I think. It was like watching a video game version of Tebow. Made us kinda wonder why they didn't open it up like that against Bama the game before. Oh well. Afterwards the Cincinnati fans were horrible. They were sore losers. Can't say they were any worse than the Louisville Cards fans that I encountered in N.O. at our next Sugar Bowl appearance.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Dang! Often the WRs were wide open, but often he was hitting receivers in stride or gunning it into a narrow window. When did he become so inaccurate?
That's the $64000 question. Meyer did not get Tebow NFL ready. But that doesn't explain why Tebow is the most accurate passer in SEC history became so inaccurate in the NFL other than he's playing against better athletes and better defenders and better coaches. Seeing Tebow gets squeezed in the NFL by the Jets and the Eagles has tainted my view of the NFL forever and started my down slide with the NFL. That league will never be the same to me and now with all the protest thing that's going on in the last couple years the league has really fallen in my eyes.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
That's the $64000 question. Meyer did not get Tebow NFL ready. But that doesn't explain why Tebow is the most accurate passer in SEC history became so inaccurate in the NFL other than he's playing against better athletes and better defenders and better coaches. Seeing Tebow gets squeezed in the NFL by the Jets and the Eagles has tainted my view of the NFL forever and started my down slide with the NFL. That league will never be the same to me and now with all the protest thing that's going on in the last couple years the league has really fallen in my eyes.

Tebow’s bigger issue is reading defenses and working through progressions. I heard the best stats breakdown on him that showed he was among the most effective QBs in the NFL at making a play once the play had broken down. He was on the very low end of making a play in the normal flow.

That’s doesn’t explain why he’s not on a roster. He’s clearly one of the top 64 quarterbacks in the world today. Jeff Driskell is on a roster. Various McCowns get recycled from team to team. The whole Tebow-mania thing hurts him.

I always thought the best team fit for him would be the Steelers. Roethlisberger is good in the pocket but makes his biggest plays after things break down. Tebow would be an excellent understudy and could salt in some power running plays as well.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Tebow’s bigger issue is reading defenses and working through progressions. I heard the best stats breakdown on him that showed he was among the most effective QBs in the NFL at making a play once the play had broken down. He was on the very low end of making a play in the normal flow.

That’s doesn’t explain why he’s not on a roster. He’s clearly one of the top 64 quarterbacks in the world today. Jeff Driskell is on a roster. Various McCowns get recycled from team to team. The whole Tebow-mania thing hurts him.

I always thought the best team fit for him would be the Steelers. Roethlisberger is good in the pocket but makes his biggest plays after things break down. Tebow would be an excellent understudy and could salt in some power running plays as well.
Those are good points and I to have thought but Tebow would have been good as a backup on the Steelers. That would have been a good fit. But Tim Tebow in the NFL jump the shark a few years ago and there's no turning back. You are correct that Tim's problems or with progressions most of all and reading defenses but all NFL teams and front offices took notice with the way the fans reacted in Denver because it was there clamoring for Tebow that got him to replace Kyle Orton in the first place. No team wants an NFL quarterback a backup quarterback at that to bring that type of power which can lead to a controversy.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Shortly after this game Jeremy Foley stepped up to a microphone and infamously stated, "We're not getting into an arms race...."

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Cincinnati had awful corners.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It's like that Bearcats defense wasn't even there. Talk about overmatched - the talent gap was as wide as the Grand Canyon.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Agree completely! No longer eaycj it.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The NFL is a completely different animal...there's a reason there is really only about 5-6 elite QB and maybe up to 12-15 starters firmly entrenched followed by a bunch of crap. You have to see things happening before they happen...throw to spots on the field that nobody is at but will be by the time the ball gets there...the windows are far tighter than college. Tebow threw to receivers when they were open or failed to pull the trigger and would improvise.

Perfect example of what you said in the last sentence...was watching a film breakdown of one of his crazy scramble TD's where he broke containment and found a receiver open deeper for a TD. However, going through the design of the play his #1 option was wide open and if he would have made the correct read and throw he had his guy 15-20 yards downfield for an easy first down. He hesitates and doesn't throw it but gets a better result later. Problem though is that you can't rely on that to win consistently in the NFL...being a great improviser is supposed to be an added weapon not something to rely on. Aaron Rodgers is a perfect example...his ability to make plays once the play is broken down is a great tool to have and supplements his already fantastic play...but if he can't do what he does from the pocket on most of the plays it wouldn't work so well.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator wide receivers picked their zones apart. We were faster than them. The offensive line manhandled them. Hernandez ran like he infamous Tattooed Hawaiian leaving the scene. Terrible mechanics and inability to even read the comics and despite all his other personal shortcomings, Tebow managed to cobble together a workmanlike game, completing 31 of 35 attempts for 482 yards (89%/232 qb rating-Sugar Bowl Record).

*Wiki-The Gators' 659 total yards were the most in Sugar Bowl history, and Tim Tebow set Sugar Bowl and Bowl Championship Series records with 482 passing yards and 533 total yards. Tebow's 320 first half passing yards also set a Sugar Bowl record, as did his 12 consecutive completions to start the game. This puts little Timmy in some pretty rare air.

All things considered, not bad stats while operating in a middle school offense.

In fairness to the team from Cincinnati, coach Brian Kelly left a couple weeks before the game, being forced by Notre Dame to take it now or forget it.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Tim was such a special player at UF. He is an even more special person in the real world. Go Gators!!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Tim was such a special player at UF. He is an even more special person in the real world. Go Gators!!
A special things are special to special poster, special boss. Except for perverted things. Which arent special.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I was there as well, I had watched their last game and knew from that it would be a massive mis-match. I stayed at their fan hotel and got some push back, my answer was that is why we play the game. The next day nobody bothered us, they knew that Tebow and our team destroyed them.

There were some UF fans who were not that nice, I had to mention to them we are Gators.

It was a great game to see and experience by my standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.