What's the worst Gator game you attended?

With a huge game on the line, which of these coaches would do the best job?

• Ron Zook

Votes: 61 76.3%
  • Will Muschamp

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • Jim McElwain

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
UT 2003. Sat in the Bull Gators box for the first time. Some drunken doosh who sang "Ooh Ungawa" at the top of his lungs prior to the game was cursing out Zook like a drunken sailor by the fourth quarter.

But the food was good.

Speaking of dooshes, Casey Clausen led the UT band in Rocky Top after the game. Man, did we suck.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
November 2015 vs the seminoles .. 27-2..

Wife got me tickets as my wedding gift. Sold them because I couldn’t stomach seeing Jameis eat our lunch in the Swamp.

Edit: I was thinking of 2013 lol. Whoops.

Last edited:

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I left off losing to Memphis 17-11 in 1988 after thumping LSU the week prior and Emmitt getting hurt.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Three come to mind and all three were at different places but in this order.
1. 2007 WLOCP: I sat by myself and stayed the whole game and walked out with those filthy animals surrounding threatening me barking the whole way out.

2. 2010 LSU: Back and forth battle with a rode of emotions the whole game. LSU pulled ahead 26–14 early in the 4th quarter then Andre Debose returned a kick for a TD and we were right back in the game. Then our defense held strong and we drove down and scored with Gillislee with like 2 minutes left. Crowd was going nuts we thought it was over cause they hadn't done anything in the 4th other than the 1st drive. They drove a little bit and was going for like a 50 yard fg with around 30 sec and the place holder flips the ball behind his head and get a perfect bounce to the kicker who takes it to the house.

3. 2004 Peach bowl: It was the only game I got to see live with my dad before he passed and we drove up to Atlanta only to watch Miami score on a blocked fg and a punt return. It's the only Miami game I've been to because I refuse to go again. I remember my dad making me drive all the way back to Jax he was so pissed. We were supposed to find a hotel but he refused because of the loss.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Was born in 1980 and was at games by ‘81, so I’ve seen some tough ones. The ‘87-‘89 losses in Jax and to the noles set the tone for my hatred there. Throw in the OM loss to begin Emmit’s final season, or the “wth” moments against Vanderbilt and Memphis, and that whole 3 years can be burned from the record, IMO.

I’d say the quietest, most deflated walk out of the Swamp that I’ve ever experienced was after Aub in ‘94. Crushing, as it was described above, is a perfect description.

‘03 Swindle was probably the most infuriating, with ‘01 ut a close second, and ‘11 uga in the discussion.

‘09 Atl was sad because you could see everything was shifting, plus Tebow getting emotional, the whole rammer jammer nonsense. Negative 10 degrees outside. Bad night.

And I had my two year old son at ‘13 GaSouthern, for which I’ve never forgiven myself.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’m going to go with 85 Rutgers. Up 28-7 midway third quarter, tied at 28-28, Galen pulls Bell for Rodney Brewer. Unbelievable!

I don’t personally remember it, but get a few in my Dad and mention the word Rutgers and/or Brewer...look out. :lol:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The first game that came to mind was the Tennessee game in 2003.
This was Zook's second year and he no longer had Grossman to cover his ineptitude.
It was about 150 degrees that day for a noon start and we floundered our way through the game scoring only 3 points.
A bonus moment was when the defense gave up a Hail Mary for a touchdown as the first half came to an end.
When my wife and I walked back to the car, we truly realized what a cluster the program had quickly become.

VERY depressing day

The quintessential Zook clock management. We had the ball deep in our own territory with like a minute left. After a modest gain on first, he calls timeout as if we’d picked up 30+ or were in position to bleed the remaining clock. Needless to say, an incomplete pass and stuffed run later, we were giving them the ball close to midfield with just enough time for that play. I was in disbelief.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
1995 NC loss to Nebraska (it was cold as **** up in the nose bleed seats we had)

Swindle (I flew cross country just for that game on Thanksgiving weekend and got served a turkey), I lost my voice for days after.

2003 @ MSU (The Zooker’s death nail). Though that’s probably a good thing since we ended up with Meyer. But I flew all the way from Seattle for that crap fest; not an easy place to get to.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t personally remember it, but get a few in my Dad and mention the word Rutgers and/or Brewer...look out. :lol:

Many might not remember that Brewer was a great baseball player, ending up playing in the bigs for a few years.

My claim to fame is that he was 0-4 hitting against me in my high school career. :proud:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
1982 Florida - UGA. Freezing breeze off the St. John’s and right up my back as I watched Herschel run all over us to win 44-0. That really sucked!

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Glad you asked. Worst game for me personally would be a Richmond Spiders game in the 1960s. We were playing so badly, not trying at all, that I became enraged at the lack of effort and starting cheering ''Go you Spiders". Some drunk frat boys wanted to throw me out of the stadium. The team eventually put out enough effort to win. Least effort that I have ever seen a Gator team display.

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Choke
Tempe
Auburn 94 -- Sanders caught the winning pass right in front of me and my buddy (third row endzone seats). Heartbreaking...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Second worst was also a loss to UT, but far different circumstances. The 2001 season ender that had been rescheduled from the week of the Sept. 11 attacks.

So much hope entering that game and so much Jon Hoke futility in trying to stop the Tennessee run. The place went eerily silent at the end.

Last edited:

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

You must not have stayed until the end. You might recall that we beat Georgia the prior year, ending a six game losing streak, and our fans stormed the field and tore down the goal posts. The lack of police presence on the field allowed us to celebrate undeterred. By the time the 1985 game rolled around, the city got wise and lined the stadium with police in riot gear and drawn nightsticks. When Georgia won, the fans in the end zone pushed down the fence to crash the field. The fans in the front rows, who were well aware of the well-armed police presence in front of them, became reluctant participants in the aborted celebration, receiving a brutal clubbing at the hands of enthused law enforcement personnel. The police were swinging wildly at anything that moved, cracking skulls, etc.

I will tell you that there are times when opposing fans put aside their differences during a crisis and feel empathy and compassion toward one another. This was definitely NOT one of those times. It was beautiful to watch the Georgia fans' joy and excitement over their win turn into screams of horror, pain and agony as the police unleashed their brutal assault. It was almost worth losing to watch it all unfold before us.

By the way, this is a great lesson to all Gators to stay until the end of the game, even if we are losing. You never know when some opposing fan will get his ass kicked for being a loudmouth or challenging law enforcement. When it happens, you want to be there to see it.

Last edited:

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
My first ever Gator game was the 1989 season opener against Ole Miss. It was a brutal, hideous loss, but at least I got to see Emmitt play.

Number 2 would be the 2002 LSU game. We lost 36-7. It was like at that point that we realized Spurrier being gone (and Zook being on the sideline) was going to be really, really bad.

Discuss.
Although I had to sit through some of the Zook Error, I only endured a few games under Muschamp in person and they were all wins. I didn't go to any of the hot garbage Mac served up. For me though, hands down worst was 2001 UT. I will go to my grave believing that if we have Earnest Graham for that game we end up with a shot at Miami for another Natty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb