2014 Preseason Power Ratings

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n14180 said:
Tennessee's 64th. Btw, whose power ranking is this? Some random guy named Jim Howell? Why are we pimping his rankings?

Year after year why do we all play this game? Preseason rankings. It's means absolutely nothing. Truth be known how many times have the experts even been able to forecast the eventual National Champions. Now the only relevance of ranking is at the end of the season will your number get you in the playoffs for the NC.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n14180 said:
Tennessee's 64th. Btw, whose power ranking is this? Some random guy named Jim Howell? Why are we pimping his rankings?

Googled this..
(The Superlist systems are selected by Ray Waits.) The Superlist will this season consist of a better formulation - the Five Core Systems, two high-quality Retrodictives, and two high-quality Predictives.
[h=2]The Five Core Systems[/h] James Howell, Kenneth Massey, David Rothman, David Wilson and Peter Wolfe have contributed considerably to the world of sports ratings. Their systems are reliable and well-established. Unfortunately, David Rothman is no longer with us but his ratings will continue through Dr. Peter Wolfe's thoughtful maintenance. I have faithfully followed David Wilson's ratings over the years. They have always been among the handful I check every week. (Another system I check every week is one David maintains for me. If you ever ask me what team was the best in a given year, that's the one I go to.) [h=2]The Retrodictives[/h] Jay Coleman's and Richard Billingsley's systems are a couple of the very most retrodictive, meaning they had the highest number of games in which the winner is the higher rated of the two teams playing. [h=2]The Predictives[/h] This season Justin Moore and Dunkel Sports represent the predictive ratings. These were chosen by tallying up four categories of awards for the past ten seasons on Todd Beck's Prediction Tracker (link = http://www.thepredictiontracker.com). The top five systems are: 1) Dunkel, 2) Tempo Free, 3) Nutshell Sports, 4) Covers.com, 5) Kambour. The totals were from four categories - straight up for season, straight up for second half, against the spread for season, and against the spread for second half. Last season's winner in each category received ten points, the previous season's winner received nine, and so on down to the tenth season back. Edward Kambour received the most awards in these categories at six - again.
The third name in these ratings is Stewart Huckaby of ARGH Ratings. He helped me work out the final kinks in the formula. The second name is David Wilson, who actually maintains the Superlists now. Where I only kept the top twenty-five, David increased the Superlist to include all the 1-A teams. The first name in the Superlist is just some guy that thought up the idea (me!).
The Superlist won its second Todd Beck Prediction Tracker award last season, both were for most retrodictive wins.
This season's contributors currently are:
Update ratings.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Never heard of him. I guess he's not so random after all....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb