2015 Offensive line

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The starters won't be terrible at all but I don't know if I've ever seen an entire O-line stay healthy for a whole season. Injuries are just a part of it and numbers are so important. We could very well start off pretty decent but might be relying on a lot of youth by the end of the year. I don't think anyone is expecting championships this season so we'll likely have to take our lumps but it could pay off big time in a year or two.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I would be shocked if Ivey redshirts. You may see some of these other guys redshirt, but I think Ivey starts to get playing time as the season goes on. I don't think he starts, but they will start to work him in and get him experience.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Concrete Helmet;n178913 said:
Just speculating here so feel free to jump in and correct me if you want.
LT- David Sharpe
LG-Trip Thurman
C-Cameron Dillard
RG-Kavaris Harkless
RT- Rod Johnson

Let's hear your thoughts....

Frightening!!! And not in a good way.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
FireFoley;n179315 said:
Frightening!!! And not in a good way.

:lol: I think most of us understand that things might get kinda ugly at times this year but it is what it is......A dawg crapped in our house and now the new staff has to get it smelling good again. It's gonna take time.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
GatorInKnox;n179215 said:
The starters won't be terrible at all but I don't know if I've ever seen an entire O-line stay healthy for a whole season. Injuries are just a part of it and numbers are so important. We could very well start off pretty decent but might be relying on a lot of youth by the end of the year. I don't think anyone is expecting championships this season so we'll likely have to take our lumps but it could pay off big time in a year or two.

:exactly:I hope we get to see a lot of younger players get reps this year. I'm not sure any of the upper classmen have the talent to be any better than the young guys. Don't get me wrong, I don't want guys to get injured but I'd rather see the young guys get thrown to the wolves so to speak. It could also speak volumes to kids in the 2016 class that if they are good enough they will get an honest chance.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
rewatched Mac's signing day presser. he alluded to the idea that some JUCO's will be offered some of the remaining scholarships. wouldn't be surprised to see a couple OL's get offers. he even raised the possibility of offering a QB!! is there any time limit on this process? has that window closed?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
LongTooth;n179365 said:
rewatched Mac's signing day presser. he alluded to the idea that some JUCO's will be offered some of the remaining scholarships. wouldn't be surprised to see a couple OL's get offers. he even raised the possibility of offering a QB!! is there any time limit on this process? has that window closed?
The window hasn't closed, but all the good and even mediocre ones signed with their new schools on Jan 1 or so.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n179161 said:
I know that is usually the case however we are dangerously thin
I knew it was you all along.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
https://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrec...kzlLXdU1ZGPZB4

And here's where they went. We targeted several, Rankin and Danley at least. It's hard for a juco to transfer to UF because of some of the academic issues (required courses) and a standardized test they have to take. We can't just flip them in December most of the time.

Perhaps we could get lucky with another grad student transfer who would be immediately eligible to play.

I think he means we have plenty of seats for NEXT year's JUCOs. They (and our early enrollees) can count back against this class and a few from this class (EEs) count back to the last.

We could sign something like 35 in the next class, 25 + 10 Juco/transfer/EEs.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
seemed he was talking about guys who could come in this year and play, so there could be someone on his radar, but you may be right. if we have a good season and things look to be turning around, with the numbers we could offer i would expect next year's recruiting class to be ridiculous in both quantity and quality.

miss the pimp daddy steve avatar.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Law98gator;n179392 said:
I knew it was you all along.

Guess again? We have several linemen under 300#.....So we are dangerously thin in both size and depth. Horton-330#- will be a HUGE miss...pardon the pun.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We have three good starters in Johnson, Thurman and Sharpe. Beyond that, we have some bodies but it's a complete unknown. I do have faith in Summers. He made our previously atrocious o-line at least serviceable last year and at times, pretty darn good.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n178980 said:
I think you could be right but strength and being able to play are 2 different things. Trial by fire is how we're going to find players this year...
I disagree. Our o-line hasn't gotten the push it used to when mariotti was here.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n179547 said:
I disagree. Our o-line hasn't gotten the push it used to when mariotti was here.

He was here for mostly the Myer years and Muschamp's first year, I think. They weren't all that impressive in 2011 and the Meyer years were a completely different scheme. I don't think it necessarily compares.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Alagator;n179684 said:
He was here for mostly the Myer years and Muschamp's first year, I think. They weren't all that impressive in 2011 and the Meyer years were a completely different scheme. I don't think it necessarily compares.

You are correct. T doesn't seem to remember as I pointed out in another thread that we were ready to run Mariotti out of town after the 2011 season. The offensive line was very physical in 2012 which was Baldies first year.....At least they were in the run game although they sucked horribly at pass protection. Gilly had a monster year in 2012.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;179407 said:
https://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrec...kzlLXdU1ZGPZB4

And here's where they went. We targeted several, Rankin and Danley at least. It's hard for a juco to transfer to UF because of some of the academic issues (required courses) and a standardized test they have to take. We can't just flip them in December most of the time.

Perhaps we could get lucky with another grad student transfer who would be immediately eligible to play.

I think he means we have plenty of seats for NEXT year's JUCOs. They (and our early enrollees) can count back against this class and a few from this class (EEs) count back to the last.

We could sign something like 35 in the next class, 25 + 10 Juco/transfer/EEs.

We signed our fair share of JUCO/Transfer OL under Muschamp. Problem was that it was 50% of his Oline recruiting.

In All Kinds Of Weather

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know true freshmen don't usually start from day 1, especially on the offensive line in the SEC, but I think if anybody could it'd be Ivey.
RT- Ivey
RG- Rod Johnson
C- Dillard
LG- Thurman
LT- Sharpe

I just don't see how you can look at Ivey (the #2 OVERALL player in the nation coming out of high school) and keep him on the bench. Especially given that the guys who would be playing in front of him are also young and inexperienced.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
In All Kinds Of Weather;n179712 said:
I know true freshmen don't usually start from day 1, especially on the offensive line in the SEC, but I think if anybody could it'd be Ivey.
RT- Ivey
RG- Rod Johnson
C- Dillard
LG- Thurman
LT- Sharpe

I just don't see how you can look at Ivey (the #2 OVERALL player in the nation coming out of high school) and keep him on the bench. Especially given that the guys who would be playing in front of him are also young and inexperienced.

I think Ivey will play during the year, but I don't see him starting. Even top players in HS need to adjust to the speed and size of college. He won't redshirt, but I don't think he starts unless we get hit with injuries.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n179687 said:
You are correct. T doesn't seem to remember as I pointed out in another thread that we were ready to run Mariotti out of town after the 2011 season. The offensive line was very physical in 2012 which was Baldies first year.....At least they were in the run game although they sucked horribly at pass protection. Gilly had a monster year in 2012.
In 2011 didn't we have some bum off the streets name verdaguchi coaching the o-line? And how many o linemen did we put in the nfl when marrioti was here? And if I remember correctly Ohio state just won the national championship because of their power running game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.