Recruiting 2015 Recruiting Class

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mac's first class had 21 members and ranked 23rd. How good has this class been?
  • McGriff never made it to camp
  • Imatorbhebhe transferred after enrolling early
  • Andrew Ivie, medical hardship
  • Cronkrite transferring
  • Now the good news:
    • Jefferson
    • Ivey
    • Callaway
    • Scarlett
    • OL contributors: Jordan & Johnson, with Desir-Jones making inroads
    • Underrated guys who have contributed: Zuniga, K. Johnson, K. Davis
So it's been a mixed bag, but not a bad haul for what Muschamp left in the class. I think it speaks to the level of evaluation by the staff, but certainly not a great haul from a recruiting and stars approach.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's about what you would expect from the 23rd ranked class. Some good. Some bad. Overall mediocre. The 2016 class will be significantly worse. Particularly at the DB level.

And if they do not close well on this class, this one will be an utter disaster.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
He definitely got some talent in that class, but most of it is on the offensive side of the ball. I think he is doing OK offensively. He is bringing in play makers where we didn't have any and if Trask/Franks pan out we will be in good shape. He does need to close on some OL in this class.

The big issue is defensively. He has been the opposite of Muschamp from a defensive standpoint. Other than Cece he hasn't gotten any top players on the defensive side of the ball. I think Reese will be good, but we need some dominant players on defense or even a good offense won't help.

Sep 29, 2015
He definitely got some talent in that class, but most of it is on the offensive side of the ball. I think he is doing OK offensively. He is bringing in play makers where we didn't have any and if Trask/Franks pan out we will be in good shape. He does need to close on some OL in this class.

The big issue is defensively. He has been the opposite of Muschamp from a defensive standpoint. Other than Cece he hasn't gotten any top players on the defensive side of the ball. I think Reese will be good, but we need some dominant players on defense or even a good offense won't help.

Clayton was a 5 star DE. Jordan Smith 4 star DE. Gardner was borderline 5 star. And there were a few 4 star linebackers (who looked pretty good to close out this year). He whiffed in the secondary (save Gardner) and DT, but at least in the secondary this year's class look solid and we shall see at DT (4* Campbell on board though). I think Harris should be really good next year at safety, but we need to pull in a stud safety in this years class.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
About what you'd expect from a 23rd ranked class. Mac did a very admirable job salvaging that class, chump had really left us in a hole and he did a good job pulling in a couple big fish (CeCe and Ivey) on signing day. Plus some underrated guys obviously. End of the day though, you can't live off of underrated guys. Gotta get some big fish too and he's yet to show us he can do that. Hope he closes strong on signing day this year.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Clayton was a 5 star DE. Jordan Smith 4 star DE. Gardner was borderline 5 star. And there were a few 4 star linebackers (who looked pretty good to close out this year). He whiffed in the secondary (save Gardner) and DT, but at least in the secondary this year's class look solid and we shall see at DT (4* Campbell on board though). I think Harris should be really good next year at safety, but we need to pull in a stud safety in this years class.

Clayton was a 5*, but didn't really contribute. Not sure if he will pan out yet or not although I think some of that was due to him being sick. I agree that Gardner is going to be good and while I like Reese, Moon and Joseph they are good, but not great LBs. To compete in the SEC you need to be strong up the middle.. that means DTs, LB and Safety... I think those have been his weakest areas.

I hope he can pull in some more DTs in this class. If he lands Soloman and Truesdale that would be great from a DT perspective. Add that to Campbell and those are 3 talented DTs.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

We are in desperate need of an elite safety. Hopefully we get Hunter or Stewart in this class. I wouldn't call Stewart elite but he's pretty damn good.

The problem with last year's class was DT and LB. With probably only 1 game changer in Clayton. In a class full of project DBs, Gardner stands out.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I never subscribe to the thinking that because a guy plays or starts on a team it must mean he's good. It's all relative to how good the team is.

IMO the only reason most of those guys are on the field is because their competition is that bad. How many of them would be playing/starting at Alabama or Ohio state or even FSU? Very few would be my guess. So just because some of these guys are playing really doesn't mean crap to me. What matters is are they whipping the guys they're playing against on elite teams. So far the answer has been no.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

The big issue is defensively. He has been the opposite of Muschamp from a defensive standpoint. Other than Cece he hasn't gotten any top players on the defensive side of the ball...
Cece was a top guy, no doubt. But not the only one on that side of the ball...

- Clayton was a 5* wasn't he?
- Zuniga is a beast and was definitely underrated.
- Gardner was a high 4* and was a significant contributor as a true frosh.
- Polite is a star in the making.

He's gotten some top players...certainly more than just Cece... the problem is most of the defensive players have been average. He NEEDS to sign some studs this year. Our average star rating on the D needs to rise significantly. And for the love of God, PLEASE get some game ready DT's!

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Cece was a top guy, no doubt. But not the only one on that side of the ball...

- Clayton was a 5* wasn't he?
- Zuniga is a beast and was definitely underrated.
- Gardner was a high 4* and was a significant contributor as a true frosh.
- Polite is a star in the making.

He's gotten some top players...certainly more than just Cece... the problem is most of the defensive players have been average. He NEEDS to sign some studs this year. Our average star rating on the D needs to rise significantly. And for the love of God, PLEASE get some game ready DT's!

Clayton was a 5*, but hasn't contributed. It is too early to tell how good he will be. I agree with Zuniga being underrated. I don't know if Polite is a star yet. Gardner has definitely shown flashes, but the only real contributor at this point has been Cece.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I never subscribe to the thinking that because a guy plays or starts on a team it must mean he's good. It's all relative to how good the team is.

IMO the only reason most of those guys are on the field is because their competition is that bad. How many of them would be playing/starting at Alabama or Ohio state or even FSU? Very few would be my guess. So just because some of these guys are playing really doesn't mean crap to me. What matters is are they whipping the guys they're playing against on elite teams. So far the answer has been no.

Good post TAG.

We have 3-star players playing...because they are all we have! It doesn't mean McElwain and staff are some sort of over the top talent evaluators.

We got our ass kicked by a team full of 2 and 3-star kids this year (Arkansas). I'm sure Arkansas would rather have more 4-star kids as well....and a better than 7-5 record.

Gator fans (mostly the pumpers) need to realize, we ARE an 8-4 type program now. If we lose less than 4/year, that's a good thing (for the shape of our program). But when you're an "8-4 type" program that means some years you go 10-4 (like last year) and some years you go 7-5 (or worse)...like next year is shaping up to be.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Exactly BMF! And we should win 7-8 games because we play 7-8 bad teams/year lately.

When we've played the higher ranked teams we've had our butts handed to us.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
Good post TAG.

We have 3-star players playing...because they are all we have! It doesn't mean McElwain and staff are some sort of over the top talent evaluators.

We got our ass kicked by a team full of 2 and 3-star kids this year (Arkansas). I'm sure Arkansas would rather have more 4-star kids as well....and a better than 7-5 record.

Gator fans (mostly the pumpers) need to realize, we ARE an 8-4 type program now. If we lose less than 4/year, that's a good thing (for the shape of our program). But when you're an "8-4 type" program that means some years you go 10-4 (like last year) and some years you go 7-5 (or worse)...like next year is shaping up to be.
really excellent post. We keep thinking we are a better program than we really are. 8-4 is about right. Thats pathetic considering we're UF, but that is what we've become

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly BMF! And we should win 7-8 games because we play 7-8 bad teams/year lately.

When we've played the higher ranked teams we've had our butts handed to us.

Well at the rate Mac has recruited since he got here we will only face about 6 teams a year out of the twelve we have a talent advantage over if he doesn't turn it around really fast.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We have a good class going right now. We're short at DT and OL. We need at least one more S and one more WR. So at 14 recruits, add 3 OL, 3 DTs, a S, a WR, and we have 3 spots to work with. Probably need another RB now that Cronk it out. So two spots. Add 2 LBs or an LB and highly rated CB.

All just pipe dreams, since our staff can't recruit a fat kid to eat a twinkie.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty sure that 5* Clayton everyone keeps bringing up currently weighs around 230 pounds.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty sure that 5* Clayton everyone keeps bringing up currently weighs around 230 pounds.
might be all he's up to. i think he was around 240, when he graduated. There's an interview with Crucial where he said the most frustrating part of the process was everyone having his weight too low. He was sick early in the season and lost a ton of the weight he had put on. When he was at the UA practices he was unblockable. I hope he can add good weight and adjust to the speed of the game.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We have a good class going right now. We're short at DT and OL. We need at least one more S and one more WR. So at 14 recruits, add 3 OL, 3 DTs, a S, a WR, and we have 3 spots to work with. Probably need another RB now that Cronk it out. So two spots.
Where did you get those numbers? If we take 25 it will take us back to like 72 (depending on which walkons you count). If we can take 7 Ees and count them back, we can sign 32...

And still be sitting at less than 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator