2016 is...

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
(I'm going from memory here so don't jump down my throat if I'm wrong)

2016 is...

...the 50th Anniversary of Steve Spurrier's 1966 Heisman Trophy Season (the first in Gator history)

...the 20th Anniversary of our 1996 National Championship Season (the first in Gator history)

...the 20th Anniversary of Danny Wuerffel's 1996 Heisman Trophy Season

...the 10th Anniversary of our 2006 National Championship Season

...the 110th Anniversary of Florida Football

That's a lot to celebrate. I hope we take time this season to honor each of those accomplishments (well, maybe not the last one).

Given that Spurrier is no longer coaching a rival, I'd really like to see the Golden Anniversary of his Heisman season celebrated. In many ways, that event really helped put Florida on the map. He's in great shape but he's over 70 now so there won't be too many opportunities left. By the way, it's also his 50th Wedding Anniversary (he married Jerri that year too).

Steve and Jerri back in the day:

spurrier_jerri_a13lzck2_4y3llj0y.jpg

Alex.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's a great photo!
2016 is.....................................already 1/4 over?! :eek:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier's birthday is Wednesday the 20th. He'll be turning 71.

Alex.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That is a great pic. It will be really disappointing if he isn't honored in some way at a game this year.

It would also be awesome if we could continue the streak of winning a SEC and national title in a year ending with 6. Ten years ago no one thought that team was national title bound so who knows?

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
UF should honor him at the SC game. Make the Cock fans bungholes suck up some more hurt and shrink further, realizing he is NOT a 'Gamecock for life' as they want to believe.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
UF should honor him at the SC game. Make the Cock fans bungholes suck up some more hurt and shrink further, realizing he is NOT a 'Gamecock for life' as they want to believe.
Yes and no. Yes because that would be perfect. No because I have to be in California for work that weekend.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
If that happens this game I'll give up going to a kick ass resort on the company dime.

My wife never even liked college football until Tebow was in the mix. I'm happy he converted her. Still funny as hell, you mention the word 'Tebow' around her and it is like Pavlov's dog and the bell.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
2016 is the 8th year of wait til next year rebuilding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator