2018 class size and needs (Bowl story)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-gators-recruiting-needs-class-size-2018

Florida’s recruiting needs, possible class size for 2018

Looking ahead

Florida coach Jim McElwain and football staff members were on vacation for a few days, but progress is being on the Gators recruiting class of 2018.

The Gators landed a commitment on Friday from Miami cornerback Divaad Wilson, who received an offer just a day before from defensive coordinator Randy Shannon.

UF has 82 recruited players on scholarship and 11 seniors for 2017, though wide receiver Dre Massey and guard Antonio Riles could return for one more year with medical redshirts.

Assuming both do, the Gators will have 12 available scholarships for the 2018 class before attrition. Antonio Callaway, Martez Ivey, CeCe Jefferson and Jordan Scarlett are all expected to leave early, bringing the numbers to 16.

RELATED: Where McElwain should focus Gators’ 2018 recruiting

Given the amount of Will Muschamp signees who haven’t played and the influx of McElwain players, Florida will likely have about five transfers between now and the next signing day. That would allow UF to sign 21 recruits for 2018, give or take.

Nine players on the roster this time last year are no longer with team via transfer or injury.

Here are Florida’s three biggest needs for the Class of 2018.

1) Safety
Starting safeties Marcell Harris and Nick Washington are redshirt seniors this year. The Gators will return Quincy Lenton, Jeawon Taylor and Donovan Stiner in 2018, leaving them with little depth and experience at the position. UF has not signed an elite safety prospect since 2013. That needs to end in this recruiting cycle.

2) Wide receiver
Florida will likely lose Callaway along with senior slot receiver Brandon Powell. The following season, Massey and Tyrie Cleveland could be gone. UF must sign a few 2018 wideouts to keep the numbers at 10 or higher. Fortunately for the Gators, they have several targets at the position as well as a commitment from 3-star WR Jalynn Williams (St. Petersburg, Fla.).

3) Offensive line
The Gators should return everyone but Ivey for 2018, but they could lose as many as six offensive linemen after that season. Florida needs to sign at least four line prospects in the 2018 upcoming class to combat those departures. Barring transfers, four or five signees would give the unit a dozen or more returning linemen for 2019, plus the incoming recruits.

Running back and defensive end are the other big needs for Florida in the Class of 2018. Here’s how the class breakdown could look.

QB: 1
RB: 2
WR: 4
TE: 1
OL: 4
DT: 1
DE: 2
LB: 1
DB: 5

Florida offers another Miami recruit
The Gators are once again making Miami a priority on the recruiting trail. Two days after landing Wilson’s commitment, UF extended an offer Sunday to Nigel Bethel.

Blessed to receive my First SEC offer from the University of Florida #AllBite18 pic.twitter.com/vZgMBJ8e0a

— Baby Nigel (@F5_nigel) February 6, 2017

A 2018 athlete from Miami, Bethel is currently unrated but has early offers from Central Florida and Florida Atlanta. The 5-foot-11, 165-pound prospect could play cornerback or receiver.

Wilson seems confident in Florida’s chances with Bethel.

Bro finna hop on board @F5_nigel

— Divaad Wilson® (@NikemanNewt) February 6, 2017

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
ZACH ABOLVERDI said:

It would be silly to have such an unbalanced class. I do agree a mature program signs about 22 each year. As for my allocation it would be:

QB: 1
RB: 1 after signing two RBs in the last class and having Perine at least two more years, I do not see a need for two RBs in the next class.
WR: 3
TE: 0 particularly if Gamble stays at TE and Byrd eventually gets in.
OL: 4
DL: 4
LB: 3 We certainly do not want a class with one LB in it.
DB: 4 I can not really see 11 DBs in two classes. That would be 13% of your roster spots on a 4 positions unless UF is signing DBs to grow into fast LBs?

That is 20 and would allow the last couple to be used depending on at what positions attrition happens or if Byrd does not ever come to UF.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Bowl still thinks Chimp is here and that 1/3 of the roster should be DBs.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
One defensive tackle lol and 5 DB's lol. We've signed 12 DB's the last 2 years.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah....so stupid! Then that 1 DT commit bails out on signing day and we're left holding our d*ck again. So stupid. 2 DT's EVERY YEAR!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I swear there is no discernible difference between that moron Mushdump and the current crew, except that current crew can't recruit offense OR defense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator