Recruiting 2019 NSD: 4* DE Khris Bogle and 4* CB Elam signs

CHAMPIONSHIP: If you were forced to have dinner with one of these members, who would you choose?

• Swamp Donkey

• Swamp Queen

• Durty South Swamp

• dubster1

• BNAG8R

Results are only viewable after voting.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Our QB pool includes Franks, Trask, Emory Jones, and Jaylin Jackson/Toney as emergency backups. They will all be here next year when Jalon Jones gets here next year and when Richardson gets here the year after. We're not going after anymore transfers or commits. It seems pretty obvious that Mullen will try to keep 4 scholly QBs with preferred walkon emergency backups. I wouldn't doubt seeing the recruitment of HS QBs like Toney switching positions becoming more frequent here as well.

Have you ever heard of this thing called transferring? Did you know that players can both transfer in and transfer out? So what the roster looks like at QB next year can be fluid.

My view has long been if you do not have an established QB on your roster, you want 5. If you have a young established QB on your roster you maybe be able to get by with 4. If you run the QB frequently, you should probably err on the side of more rather than fewer QBs on your roster.

Thus in my view UF has too few QBs, Franks, Trask and E. Jones on the roster this year. Two signees might help UF get back to where UF needs to be in QB depth or the extra signee might only offset a transfer. So there is no reason not to see if one of the QB commitments who committed at a place undergoing a coaching change or where a younger guy surprisingly won the job wants to come to UF.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

We know lots of things about QB recruiting. We know:

1. UF does not have an established top tier QB right now.

2. E. Jones has not come in and been so good UF can reduce its QB recruiting yet. (See point 1 above.)

3. J. Jones is a high school player whose ability to transfer whatever skill he has to college is unknown.

3. UF has too few scholarship QBs on the roster right now.

4. This is not the NFL where you have a 53 man roster. There is no such thing as an emergency QB. If you get caught short and have to play a WR at QB, you failed to do your job correctly as a coach unless you had 5 or 6 scholarship QBs all have injuries.

These are why I think UF should be looking to turn an additional QB prospect for the 2019 class.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Have you ever heard of this thing called transferring? Did you know that players can both transfer in and transfer out? So what the roster looks like at QB next year can be fluid.

My view has long been if you do not have an established QB on your roster, you want 5. If you have a young established QB on your roster you maybe be able to get by with 4. If you run the QB frequently, you should probably err on the side of more rather than fewer QBs on your roster.

Thus in my view UF has too few QBs, Franks, Trask and E. Jones on the roster this year. Two signees might help UF get back to where UF needs to be in QB depth or the extra signee might only offset a transfer. So there is no reason not to see if one of the QB commitments who committed at a place undergoing a coaching change or where a younger guy surprisingly won the job wants to come to UF.
Have you ever heard of a thing called EABOD?

Everyone here knows about transfers. We’ve been living on transfers in lieu of real QB recruiting. Now that we have our QB recruited for this and the next cycle, you want more transfers to do what? Prove that this staff undercuts recruits not even signed yet.

And like it or not, Franks is our starting QB. He actually isn’t playing bad at all considering the dumpster fire last year. So EJ will just have to nut up at some point and seize the job. Or not. At this point we have much bigger problems than QB recruiting/transfers. And Trask isn’t transferring and EJ likely won’t unless Jalon passes him up.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
And like it or not, Franks is our starting QB.

He actually isn’t playing bad at all considering the dumpster fire last year.

So you are claiming:

1. either Mullen is such a bad coach he will go with Franks no matter how well a possible replacement does or no matter how poorly Franks plays.

2. you basically have no memory even from my post above listing Spurrier, Reave, Gaffney, Matthews, Wuerffel, Grossman, Tebow and even some others and thus think Franks "actually isn't playing bad at all."

Well apparently some of us have both higher standards and more faith in Mullen as a coach than you do.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
So you are claiming:

1. either Mullen is such a bad coach he will go with Franks no matter how well a possible replacement does or no matter how poorly Franks plays.

2. you basically have no memory even from my post above listing Spurrier, Reave, Gaffney, Matthews, Wuerffel, Grossman, Tebow and even some others and thus think Franks "actually isn't playing bad at all."

Well apparently some of us have both higher standards and more faith in Mullen as a coach than you do.

I am not sure you are getting it. There are no Tebows or Wuerffels to get in 2019 that can reasonably flip to us. As of now if JJ signs, we have 4 QBs on the roster. Sure if there is a Tua that we can reasonably flip to us then I get it. I don't see that now. There are far more positions we need to recruit to than QB at this point.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I am not sure you are getting it. There are no Tebows or Wuerffels to get in 2019 that can reasonably flip to us. As of now if JJ signs, we have 4 QBs on the roster. Sure if there is a Tua that we can reasonably flip to us then I get it. I don't see that now. There are far more positions we need to recruit to than QB at this point.

You nor anyone here has no idea who the next Wueffel or Tebow is. Any player we could flip is afterall in high school so we have little idea if he would be a better or worse prospect than the guys we have. It is amazing to me that anyone here considers it controversial that UF should be working to flip another QB. UF clearly needs more candidates for the QB spot until it is locked down with good production.

Let me add this. Posts like your make people who have followed recruiting suspect you "knew" that Kresser, Berlin, Brantley and Driskel would all be star QBs at UF.

Last edited:

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
You nor anyone here has no idea who the next Wueffel or Tebow is. Any player we could flip is afterall in high school so we have little idea if he would be a better or worse prospect than the guys we have. It is amazing to me that anyone here considers it controversial that UF should be working to flip another QB. UF clearly needs more candidates for the QB spot until it is locked down with good production.
I don't think anyone thinks it's controversial. There's just slim pickings at this point in the process.
There's not 1 transfer out there that I would be interested in if I were Mullen. Of course that could change, but I'm basing that off the current expected transfers.
Secondly, you can't just recruit anybody. It's a new day in college football. You don't want to risk running off your current commits by chasing inferior players. I get that you never know when it comes to recruiting, but you just can't afford to lose what you have. With that being said, you never turn down a chance to improve. So, if something was to open up, sure, take a look.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I don't think anyone thinks it's controversial. There's just slim pickings at this point in the process.
There's not 1 transfer out there that I would be interested in if I were Mullen. Of course that could change, but I'm basing that off the current expected transfers.
Secondly, you can't just recruit anybody. It's a new day in college football. You don't want to risk running off your current commits by chasing inferior players. I get that you never know when it comes to recruiting, but you just can't afford to lose what you have. With that being said, you never turn down a chance to improve. So, if something was to open up, sure, take a look.

I agree this has to be done carefully. You certainly do not want to scare of one QB recruit with another. I guess if you promised J.Jones he would be your only QB signee in the class, you have some obligation to live up to that.

Of course some of the beauty of the early signing period is that you can ink one QB prospect and then go after the type of QB prospect I have suggested. That is you can go after committed QBs who have not signed early and are second guessing their choice because of a coaching change or that a younger guy won the job and is playing well.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Of course some of the beauty of the early signing period is that you can ink one QB prospect and then go after the type of QB prospect I have suggested. That is you can go after committed QBs who have not signed early and are second guessing their choice because of a coaching change or that a younger guy won the job and is playing well.
Good point. I didn't consider that angle.

I just think with the new redshirt rule the need to carry a surplus of players at a specific position is diminished. But, to your point, having a good stable of QBs can set you up for longevity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator