2019 Roster

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
He had the potential for lots of good games if we had let him throw the ball down field in 05 and the rest of 06.

He was a really, really good and probably elite college QB. He just wasnt an option QB. Imagine if he had SOS for four years.
What I remember about Leak is that his best year was his Freshman year. It was probably due to the coaching change and scheme, but he got to where is was ducking on almost every throw in the face of the pass rush. He wouldn't stand in there and make the throw. He played gun shy.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
What I remember about Leak is that his best year was his Freshman year. It was probably due to the coaching change and scheme, but he got to where is was ducking on almost every throw in the face of the pass rush. He wouldn't stand in there and make the throw. He played gun shy.

I think he had a pretty good sophomore year as well.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Or the could just run it down our throat because we dont have enough ass in the box, like theyve been doing.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I think he had a pretty good sophomore year as well.
It seems the soph year was when he started the "chuck and duck" and it got worse from there. I think he lost his nerve a tad. I was definitely pleasantly surprised how well he played his last game and nobody can ever take that champtionship game away from him. Let me add this real quick. I would take him over Franks every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here's something to put recruiting in perspective and how far behind we are.

I added the following players to the 247 class calculator, which yielded a score 297.61 (good for 4th last year). Yes, 28 players.:

Chris Steele
Kaiir Elam
Travon Walker
Deyavie Hammond
Trey Sanders
Jordan Battle
Jaren Handy
Keon Zipperer
Kayvon Thibodeaux
Nay'Quan Wright
Kamaar Bell
Lloyd Murray
Lloyd Summerall

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But he was a Rivals 3*... I don't understand anything anymore.
It's just math, Ray. Not too hard. Bout 30% of 5 stars fail. Maybe 50% of 4 stars. Bout 90% of three stars.

You'll be ok. Don't try to think too much about this complicated stuff. You don't look any dumber than Insti or AR.

Wanna see all the 3 stars that DIDNT become all SEC or first rounders in the last 10 years?

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Here's something to put recruiting in perspective and how far behind we are.

I added the following players to the 247 class calculator, which yielded a score 297.61 (good for 4th last year). Yes, 28 players.:

Chris Steele
Kaiir Elam
Travon Walker
Deyavie Hammond
Trey Sanders
Jordan Battle
Jaren Handy
Keon Zipperer
Kayvon Thibodeaux
Nay'Quan Wright
Kamaar Bell
Lloyd Murray
Lloyd Summerall
Yeah.... not this year boys.

I guess it's wait til 2023. Until then, we watching more Butters ball.

Really it takes 2-3 good years of great recruiting to become elite again. And we aren't starting this year either.

I just hope we fix the staff and don't write these mid teens classes, assuming we get there again, as "good enough for Butters so good enough for me".

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah.... not this year boys.

I guess it's wait til 2023. Until then, we watching more Butters ball.

Really it takes 2-3 good years of great recruiting to become elite again. And we aren't starting this year either.

I just hope we fix the staff and don't write these mid teens classes, assuming we get there again, as "good enough for Butters so good enough for me".
Yeah, if others are right and we do have this line of guys wanting in, we are looking at a top 10 class, not top 5. The list i put up is an obnoxious pumper list. I understand why DL has been struggling, because Sunseri was coaching pro ball and has no current relationships, but it looks like he's starting to make some headway, and I expect him to return to form. Outside of him and Robinson (and QB recruiting), I don't know who we have. What's weird is it seems Hevesey is having better luck than other guys and he's known to not be a recruiter.

If the Jones's pan out, I think they can make up for some other deficiencies, but that's not getting us Championships.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I'll throw this random idea out there. Maybe next year try Edwards at Safety. He obviously wouldn't be a starter behind Wilson, Henderson, and Dean. Safety is still questionable and you never know when a guy moving from CB to Safety could end up being the right move. It may not work out, but let's be honest, currently safety isn't great and if Edwards can ball hawk (who knows), perhaps it can be better next year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'll throw this random idea out there. Maybe next year try Edwards at Safety. He obviously wouldn't be a starter behind Wilson, Henderson, and Dean. Safety is still questionable and you never know when a guy moving from CB to Safety could end up being the right move.
There has to be a way to get legitimate talent on the field. Reggie Nelson was a corner until someone figured out we needed a safety better than Jackson and could put a true freshman (who were were thinking might be a slot) at CB. It was a rough few games in transition but both are still playing in the NFL.

Stiner and Taylor are never going to be anything but Sunbelt players. CB, WR, I dont care but we need legitimate talent at WR.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
There has to be a way to get legitimate talent onnthe field. Reggie Nelson was a corner until someone figured out we needed a safety better than Jackson and could put a true freshman at CB. It was a rough few games in transition but both are still playing in the NFL.

Stiner and Taylor are never going to be anything but Sumbelt players.

I definitely was tiptoeing around using Nelson's name because there are people that would immediately come out swinging with something like "you really think Edwards is as good as Nelson???? :suicide:". But yes, that was my inspiration. What we are doing isn't working, why not at least try something new. Plus, then we can move Clement back to RB.

Also, I don't think I've seen too much about the upgrade our line gets by a good bit of starters graduating.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I think the key is using Kyle jackson's name and frankly Kyle Jackson is worlds better than what we have on the field.

Another name we might want to consider is Tony Joiner. Joiner was a heavy almost LB sized safety but not a guy in the mold of these freaks Trailerbammer and LSU have been fielding who are 210-220 pounders who can cover and hit. Joiner was essentially a fourth Lb, much better at tackling in the box and pretty marginal in coverage.

What did we do to limit that deficiency? We usually just played one high safety and Nelson was incredibly deep. It didnt much matter bc then as now most teams innthe SEC have never heard of the forward pass.

Ahmad Black was similiar. Essentially a great tackling CB who had weak coverage skills.

We can work with a weakness but we must first have a player who is good at SOMETHING. Stiner and Taylor arent even average at anything.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
At one point in time, didn't Bama just move big CBs to S?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Youre remembering wrongly.

He showed flashes but was a shaky freshman as a freshman. Probably shouldn't have been on the field but Ingle Martin was a third string punter. (Oddly, Ingle Martin would have been ok running the option under Meyer.)

Leak was ALLSEC as a soph. (All freshman SEC also the year before but much less competent.)

Passing
Year
School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Florida SEC FR QB 13 190 320 59.4 2435 7.6 7.1 16 11 132.9
*2004 Florida SEC SO QB 12 238 399 59.6 3197 8.0 8.1 29 12 144.9
*2005 Florida SEC JR QB 12 235 374 62.8 2639 7.1 7.4 20 6 136.5
*2006 Florida SEC SR QB 14 232 365 63.6 2942 8.1 7.7 23 13 144.9
Career Florida 895 1458 61.4 11213 7.7 7.6 88 42 140.1

Mostly screens in 2003, 2005 and 2006 though. Would have been nice if they'd let him throw down field like vs. Crackumbus.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
. . . then as now most teams innthe SEC have never heard of the forward pass.
:rotfl: It's not hard to imagine SOS laughing at this post.

Ahmad Black was similiar. Essentially a great tackling CB who had weak coverage skills.
No question you're right. However, I feel compelled right now to put this here for the viewing pleasure of us all.

Any excuse will do, you know.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No question you're right. However, I feel compelled right now to put this here for the viewing pleasure of us all.

Any excuse will do, you know.

Im not sure you are following. Black was given as an example of success. He became an elite safety. He wasnt an elite CB. Couldnt even get on the field.

The point is Im sure we have more talent on the bench at several positions, safety for sure. DT probably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.