Gator Baseball 2024 Baseball Thread; Gators wasting Caglione

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Yes, I understand it's a LITTLE early to talk Gator Baseball. I'm sick of the crappolla of football so I figured we could use a diversion to rag on Sully. Chew on this for a minute and let's opine on the upcoming season!

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
So Sully seems better with the portal than BN, duh! Last season he brought in several key contributors highlighted by Hursten Waldrep. It was a great run.

It seems like Sully has reloaded both recruiting and portal. The big name thru the portal is Bama transfer Colby Shelton who tore it up for the Tide last season and is scheduled to take over SS for the Gators and hit in the heart of our line-up. I am very excited to see what we can do with Caglione, Kurland and Heyman and the other contributing returners. It seems he did a good job of keeping Florida talent at UF especially pitchers.

Yes, I understand many here do not love Sully, even though he is hard to top when you look at the accomplishments here. I question his judgement during games too! I do like being part of the National conversation year in year out.

Baseball cannot arrive soon enough for me.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Very concerned about the pitching, especially the starting pitching. Know they picked up a UCLA transfer so I hope he can be effective. And a ton of new, young arms in the bullpen.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Hey Joe!! Sometimes Sully makes decisions that make my head explode but he has definitely made good use of the portal and replacing him is too risky. Shelton and other roster additions have made good impressions so far. It should be a good year if they can avoid the injury bug.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Very concerned about the pitching, especially the starting pitching. Know they picked up a UCLA transfer so I hope he can be effective. And a ton of new, young arms in the bullpen.

Hey FF!! I thought I read that the UCLA guy went to the MLB. I will have to check on that

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Hey FF!! I thought I read that the UCLA guy went to the MLB. I will have to check on that
Did not know that but have not kept up that closely, other than the box scores from the two scrimmages where I saw a bunch of names I never heard of pitching. Could have used a reliable veteran though. Sorry but can't trust Cags on the mound just yet.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Did not know that but have not kept up that closely, other than the box scores from the two scrimmages where I saw a bunch of names I never heard of pitching. Could have used a reliable veteran though. Sorry but can't trust Cags on the mound just yet.
Yeah he definitely has to show better command of all his pitches to become a top tier pitcher. I would allow him to open as the Friday starter and DH and then take over at 1B for the weekend. I would also DH him during the mid-week games all to insure his legs were rested when he takes the mound on Friday night. He has the stuff of a Friday guy but not the command and control. I also heard that Neely will be in the weekend rotation as he wants to be a starter again.

sminings

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Sully deserves some of the criticism hurled his way but he deserves way more props than he receives.

Looks like they're loaded again and if they can find some quality pitching we should be in for another entertaining season with a possibility of some trophies.

I think it's safe to say we would love to see a fraction of the baseball teams success bleed over to the football program.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
not a great in game manager/decision maker or talent developer, but a heck of an eye for raw talent and excellent recruiter and program builder. Definitely more good than bad but if he could improve in those weak areas we'd see a lot more hardware. that said, i think he is what he is at this point and we need to just take it. if he was going to improve the in game and development aspects, he would have done so years ago.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Yeah he definitely has to show better command of all his pitches to become a top tier pitcher. I would allow him to open as the Friday starter and DH and then take over at 1B for the weekend. I would also DH him during the mid-week games all to insure his legs were rested when he takes the mound on Friday night. He has the stuff of a Friday guy but not the command and control. I also heard that Neely will be in the weekend rotation as he wants to be a starter again.
Glad Neely is going back to starting. He is a good pitcher but without lights out stuff, hard to be a closer. But he is more of a pitcher than a flame thrower. Just needs to be a little less precise so his pitch count does not add up quickly b/c he definitely relies on good location for his success.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
"Florida was ranked No. 2 in D1Baseball's Preseason Top 25, as announced by the publication on Tuesday morning. The D1Baseball poll, which is viewed as the most-widely accepted ranking in the sport, tabbed the Gators as the nation's seventh best team a year ago."

Gators ranked 2 in preseason top 25

Hopefully Sully can nab another national title.

VirginiaGator

VA to RI to FL
Jul 9, 2014
Is Coppola still hurt or will he pitch at some point this year? Sat out all of last year from injury. Was a highly rated prospect that only pitched a few innings.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Is Coppola still hurt or will he pitch at some point this year? Sat out all of last year from injury. Was a highly rated prospect that only pitched a few innings.
I haven't seen anything updating his progress. Last season he had his pitching elbow immobilized in sone weird looking thing so even if he has the brace off I doubt he will be able to go at the required level this year. He did attend all the home games and sat on the bench with the team. Two years ago he was the Sunday starter the opening weekend and has not pitched since then so effectively out for two full seasons.

Edit: It was two different things. First season surgery for a bulging disc, last year shoulder surgery. I did not see anything about him pitching during fall ball.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I found this about Coppola

Although he has not toed the rubber since February of 2022, Coppola enters the spring healthy and ready to contribute to the Florida pitching staff. The southpaw arrived on campus as the No. 50 overall recruit in the class of 2021 and shined in his collegiate debut, throwing 4 1/3 innings of two-run ball with seven strikeouts against Liberty on Feb. 20, 2022.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.