Gator Baseball 2024 Baseball Thread; Gators wasting Caglione

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
There seems to be no answer to our mid-week pitching woes. Certainly, weekend series are the most important, but it seems sully cannot find a reliable pitcher during the week. He sure is using a lot of the staff to find someone who can throw it consistently over the plate. But, pitching isn't the only reason for the weekday losses or losses to the clowns. Afterall, we are supposed to have bats!

Unfortunately, we only appear to have 2 starters to pitch for the weekends. Thankfully we haven't lost a weekend series, but our relievers are flailing too.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
There seems to be no answer to our mid-week pitching woes. Certainly, weekend series are the most important, but it seems sully cannot find a reliable pitcher during the week. He sure is using a lot of the staff to find someone who can throw it consistently over the plate. But, pitching isn't the only reason for the weekday losses or losses to the clowns. Afterall, we are supposed to have bats!

Unfortunately, we only appear to have 2 starters to pitch for the weekends. Thankfully we haven't lost a weekend series, but our relievers are flailing too.
Who is this second starter you speak of?

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
Who is this second starter you speak of?

Disagreements may abound; but I like Cade. This year Cade has K/BB ratio of 42/7 and the Gators won 4 of the 6 games he started. With the exception of the St Johns game, I think he got at least 5 innings in before being relieved. His ERA is higher this year at 8 , but as he gets some of his old form back, that ERA should drop. Last year he had a 3 ERA but K/BB are better this year. The Gators are struggling with our pitching right now and even though Cade's ERA is 8, he is improving and has started every Friday. He has improved his pitch numbers and hurled 100+ pitches in his last 3 games.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Disagreements may abound; but I like Cade. This year Cade has K/BB ratio of 42/7 and the Gators won 4 of the 6 games he started. With the exception of the St Johns game, I think he got at least 5 innings in before being relieved. His ERA is higher this year at 8 , but as he gets some of his old form back, that ERA should drop. Last year he had a 3 ERA but K/BB are better this year. The Gators are struggling with our pitching right now and even though Cade's ERA is 8, he is improving and has started every Friday. He has improved his pitch numbers and hurled 100+ pitches in his last 3 games.
I guess Sully has other ideas. Neely is our announced starter Friday night, Saturday and Sunday remain the same. Cade to the pen. We will soon see how this rotation works.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I guess Sully has other ideas. Neely is our announced starter Friday night, Saturday and Sunday remain the same. Cade to the pen. We will soon see how this rotation works.
Very interesting. Could be a few things as I thought Fisher had been getting a little better, but it could be they want to make a change. Maybe they want to find a way to get more out of Neely? Perhaps they see what we see that middle relief is awful and they are going to put Fisher back into the bullpen? How about this? Neely for 3 or 4 innings on Friday then go to Fisher and have Neely for an inning or 2 on Sunday? Just thinking. Or perhaps Fisher is a little hurt? I am guessing it is going to see if Fisher is just more comfortable out of the bullpen.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Very interesting. Could be a few things as I thought Fisher had been getting a little better, but it could be they want to make a change. Maybe they want to find a way to get more out of Neely? Perhaps they see what we see that middle relief is awful and they are going to put Fisher back into the bullpen? How about this? Neely for 3 or 4 innings on Friday then go to Fisher and have Neely for an inning or 2 on Sunday? Just thinking. Or perhaps Fisher is a little hurt? I am guessing it is going to see if Fisher is just more comfortable out of the bullpen.
That is my speculation. Fisher has been awful early and pretty decent thereafter, he throws strikes as g8tr76 pointed out. I concur he wants Neely to get a full weekend so I bet he will stretch him out Friday maybe 80 pitches today with plan to be able to go 100 next outing. Fisher and Slater are good for two outings per weekend so it still leaves a lot of gaps to fill. Just like the shuffle of the BO helped last weekend this may spur some positive change in pitching statistics.

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
I like the idea of Neely starting tonight; but I almost hate to see it too because he has worked well in closing. Liam got the nod over Cade for Saturday, but he got beat up badly against a&m but came back the against bayou kitties. Maybe middle relief will help Cade along. We cannot keep going through 6 to 8 pitchers in every game; like both noles games!

What will really help our pitching is to see more than a couple of bats come alive!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
unfortunately mid week games should be where young arms are left in the game after getting themselves into trouble and forced to work through it. it wont be pretty and will likely result in more L's but its the only way they are going to gain any level of comfort and confidence in themselves. If we keep yanking freshmen as soon as they get in a jam or give up a few runs, they will never learn how to battle through adversity. the short leash is bad for development and bad for their psyche. at the same time, we need to win! :lol:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Gators lead 1-0 after one inning. Evans solo HR to RF. Maybe wind aided but counts. Neely got Cowbell out in order in the 1st on 13 pitches. Not used to that. Cowbell pitcher threw even less pitches in the first although faced one more batter.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
It just does not matter who we put on the mound. a 2 out walk with no one on base after having an 0-2 count. Then a stolen base and the guy scores on a single. I just do not understand how a team can walk so many hitters after getting them down in the count? Neely at about 60 pitvhes thru 3 innings.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
2-1 Gators after 3. Garrison solo HR to LF. Guess my thought of Neely possibly going 3 or 4 innings then coming back on Sunday for an inning or two is not happening. He cannot keep his pitch count down., The Cowbell starter is still under 40 pitches thru 3 innings. I have to think Fisher or Slater will be the first out of the bullpen,

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Total complete BS with an 0-2 count. Neely hits the guy after 2 pitches later. follow that with a single. Free passes equal hot garbage. Another single. 2-2. 2 on still one out. Neely walks the 9 hole hitter. Bases loaded. I have seen enough. The horseshyt free passes are what this team does best. Neely then goes 0-2 on the next hitter and then hits him on a 1-2 count. A complete disaster for Neely. Just throw the ball underhanded to get it over the plate. At some point you have to wonder who is coaching the pitchers and what are they being coached on.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
At what point is the pitching no longer laughable? Fisher comes in and induces a SAC fly (yay he got an out). They intentionallly walk the next guy to load the bases (correct move) so Fisher can pitch to a lefty and he FKKING walks him and in a run. total :poop:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator