Recruiting 2024 Transfer Portal Thread: USC offensive lineman Jason Zandamela headed to UF

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Addition by subtraction. Dude was a false start machine that doubled as revolving door.
Yep. If he doesn't get picked up in the portal, he can head to Mexico to become a Matador. Ole'

Plus with the estimate on the scholly count, made need the room.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
How many o-linemen do we have left on the roster? Are we going to end up back in the Chump days where we didn't have enough?

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
How many o-linemen do we have left on the roster? Are we going to end up back in the Chump days where we didn't have enough?
A bit confused...I thought we've been that way since the chump days. Are you suggesting we've had enough OL since then because I dont think we have (dont count PWO)

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Has anyone ever considered that maybe ALL of our starters and backups on the oline suck for a reason OTHER than each one of them is just bad? Is it possible there is a common denominator for that entire position group's suckage?

I know, I know, but just hear me out here. Maybe, possibly, could it be the coaching? Ya'll sit around and trash every dang lineman we have, then we sign some new ones in the portal and out of HS, and everyone says "upgrade!" Then by midway through the following season we are trashing those guys. Rinse and repeat year after year. Half the guys that we "processed" for better kids will have better seasons next year than our "upgrades" will with us.

And if anyone actually wants to counter that all of them really are this awful, how is that not a complete indictment on the staff for having ZERO ability to identify a single kid worth a crap?

No matter how you slice it, tater and his band of sunbelt bums are a boat anchor around the neck of this program. No matter who's playing QB, they are going to be running for their life.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Has anyone ever considered that maybe ALL of our starters and backups on the oline suck for a reason OTHER than each one of them is just bad? Is it possible there is a common denominator for that entire position group's suckage?

I know, I know, but just hear me out here. Maybe, possibly, could it be the coaching? Ya'll sit around and trash every dang lineman we have, then we sign some new ones in the portal and out of HS, and everyone says "upgrade!" Then by midway through the following season we are trashing those guys. Rinse and repeat year after year. Half the guys that we "processed" for better kids will have better seasons next year than our "upgrades" will with us.

And if anyone actually wants to counter that all of them really are this awful, how is that not a complete indictment on the staff for having ZERO ability to identify a single kid worth a crap?

No matter how you slice it, tater and his band of sunbelt bums are a boat anchor around the neck of this program. No matter who's playing QB, they are going to be running for their life.
Meh...I kinda think it has more to do with the recruiting than the coaching at this point. They aren't all that awful tbh...the problem is we dont have enough of them so depth is an issue, bunch of Hev specials that have gotten shuffled around a lot due to injuries and they just aren't the best out of the bunch. We have done a good job of getting better skilled players on offense but have done a terrible job at getting better and enough OL players.

4-5* OL recruits make 3* skill players look like 4-5* players as well as making OCs look like geniuses.
2-3* OL recruits make 4-5* skill players look like 2-3* players as well as making OCs look like morons.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Get out of shape immobile OG put them at tackle then run a bunch of sideways plays needing them to move quickly.

thats what we call developmental funformentals

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Meh...I kinda think it has more to do with the recruiting than the coaching at this point. They aren't all that awful tbh...the problem is we dont have enough of them so depth is an issue, bunch of Hev specials that have gotten shuffled around a lot due to injuries and they just aren't the best out of the bunch. We have done a good job of getting better skilled players on offense but have done a terrible job at getting better and enough OL players.

4-5* OL recruits make 3* skill players look like 4-5* players as well as making OCs look like geniuses.
2-3* OL recruits make 4-5* skill players look like 2-3* players as well as making OCs look like morons.
agree with all this, but we are heading into year 3. a competent staff, especially with the portal, would have fixed the depth and talent issue already. instead we seem to be worse than we were when tater arrived. again, regardless of your take on it, its 100% another faceplant into a roadside ditch by this staff of absolute dumbasses.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
agree with all this, but we are heading into year 3. a competent staff, especially with the portal, would have fixed the depth and talent issue already. instead we seem to be worse than we were when tater arrived. again, regardless of your take on it, its 100% another faceplant into a roadside ditch by this staff of absolute dumbasses.
definitely a fail...a huge one...because it was the very thing he spoke about in his first speech as a gator! He said it all starts and is built upon fixing the trenches. Day one...which is one of the reasons I immediately liked and supported him. He even followed it up with hiring 2 OL coaches...a little weird, but, honestly, if you look back through the previous 10yrs of Gator Football hell I think we would all agree our OL has been garbage. I mean it was the first thing that went to crap in 2010...we couldn't even snap the ball correctly that season. That was the start of our downfall and its been the hugest issue keeping us down for all those years.

So day 1 speach Coach Napier puts emphasis on it as the first thing to fix. But nothing has been fixed with our OL at all. Its the same crap we had with Hevesy. Do we have play calling and offensive strategy issues...fuchs yeah...but its really kinda meaningless until we actually fix the OL problems.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
some of you will be shocked next year with the improvements you see on the field
I see 8 wins in 24 with an appearance in the 12 team playoff in 25
Tripping Seeing Things GIF by CBC

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I mean it was the first thing that went to crap in 2010...we couldn't even snap the ball correctly that season.
:lol:

The funny thing about this is that was 4 time pro bowler Mike Pouncey at center. It was just his first season shifting in from guard.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bottom line with the OL is that it's tough to tell how poorly it's being coached with how poorly we've recruited.

Going into next year we're returning 5 guys who've played meaningful snaps and we've pulled a G5 guy out of the transfer portal. We need to close on a couple more in the portal and pray that a couple of the guys that red shirted will be ready to go.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Every coach worth his salt knows that the SEC is a line of scrimmage league. If you ain't got monsters in the trenches, you ain't got sh!t. You're not going to fineness your way to a SEC Championship. You need some large hombres on both sides of the line.

Nape knew this when he took the job. He told us himself, "it's a line of scrimmage league." The question is .... why aren't we paying for the best linemen NIL money can buy on both sides of the ball? Like yesterday. Forget the midline, where's our front lines?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

I'll bet we wished we hadn't processed Josh Braun who transferred to Arky last year and became 2nd team All Conference....Mazzccua is more than adequate at one of the guard positions too...The biggest problem is exactly what you're talking about....there is ZERO development of offensive linemen when they are HERE....That's coaching or lack of coaching most likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator