Recruiting 2024 Transfer Portal Thread: USC offensive lineman Jason Zandamela headed to UF

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Princely is a jr. If the back end of the defense actually tackled people after a 6-8 yard gain instead of letting it turn into a 25-30 yard gain like UGA and Bama do we would have 7-8 wins and be going to a bowl game. Pass rushing is great unless you let the QB take off for 25 yards on 3rd down...I would rather have dlinemen who can keep OG's off our LBer's so they can make plays and develop a spy for mobile/running QB's(think Arky and LSU games).

Agree on offense and a more mobile QB helps make a oline look better anyway but how many times do we get stuffed on 3rd or 4th and short.....you keep those drives going and you keep your defense off the field.

Trust me, I don’t think the OL isn’t a problem lol

Don’t think Princely is back either. We need more edge rushers especially if we’re relying on a dude coming off an ACL to be our best edge rusher

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hopefully it all comes together next year. Small improvements on each level of the defense makes a better overall defense than being loaded at one level and terrible at the next.
:exactly:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

Don’t think Princely is back
either. We need more edge rushers especially if we’re relying on a dude coming off an ACL to be our best edge rusher
Do you think UMMpa MUlumpa or whatever his name is will go into the portal? I cannot imagine he is high on NFL boards. I think he has been disappointing and it might have to do some with awful DT's. But he is one dimensional as an outside speed rusher. No ability or strength to bull rush. The kid Powell who transferred is a much more fundamentally sound player than the Prince

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Do you think UMMpa MUlumpa or whatever his name is will go into the portal? I cannot imagine he is high on NFL boards. I think he has been disappointing and it might have to do some with awful DT's. But he is one dimensional as an outside speed rusher. No ability or strength to bull rush. The kid Powell who transferred is a much more fundamentally sound player than the Prince

Mock drafts have him going top 2-3 rounds and his “advanced metrics” (PFF and next gen stats) have him as one of the better pass rushers in the SEC. My eyes don’t see it but :dunno:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

Don’t think Princely is back either. We need more edge rushers especially if we’re relying on a dude coming off an ACL to be our best edge rusher
The "experts" think Princely with go to the NFL. I don't normally harp on players, but that guy was one (of a few) on the defense that was only concerned with his individual stats. He was not a team player, taking plays off as soon as the ball went to the other side. Zero motor except for his narrow role. In college, all players need to play as a team. Good riddance.

Last edited:

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
No, we don’t know. But we don’t know how much was attempted to hold onto them either.
Why should he have tried to keep any of Mullen's recruits. BN religiously reads Chatter and all we have said is Mullen did not recruit for shyt. When you look at the roster it says BN listened to us and jettisoned all of Mullen's boys, therefore it should have been addition by subtraction.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Mock drafts have him going top 2-3 rounds and his “advanced metrics” (PFF and next gen stats) have him as one of the better pass rushers in the SEC. My eyes don’t see it but :dunno:
GIF by Tomi Ferraro, Sportz

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Princely is a jr. If the back end of the defense actually tackled people after a 6-8 yard gain instead of letting it turn into a 25-30 yard gain like UGA and Bama do we would have 7-8 wins and be going to a bowl game. Pass rushing is great unless you let the QB take off for 25 yards on 3rd down...I would rather have dlinemen who can keep OG's off our LBer's so they can make plays and develop a spy for mobile/running QB's(think Arky and LSU games).

Agree on offense and a more mobile QB helps make a oline look better anyway but how many times do we get stuffed on 3rd or 4th and short.....you keep those drives going and you keep your defense off the field.
Lot to be said about a steady DL that keeps clogged up where the LB clean up. Unfortunately we have neither rushers or cleanup

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
To me, the most glaring need is a pass rushing. We get zero pressure. Gotta get a dude or 2 off the edge. And maybe if a guy at DT if we can find someone special. But we've got some young guys there. Scooby and shemar I think are starters no matter what and we have a good class coming in there. I think we need to add a corner and a safety. Safety that can be a leader but also an SEC quality starter.

Then on offense, we have to get a tackle. Barber is solid but we've gotta get that other side locked down. The biggest hole in our offense is right there. Pending on who stays and who goes, we may need to add a guard. And I think we definitely need to add a receiver. Pearsall is gonna leave a big hole in the offense. Receiver , DE , Safety and OT are the biggest needs imo. All must gets.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
To me, the most glaring need is a pass rushing. We get zero pressure. Gotta get a dude or 2 off the edge. And maybe if a guy at DT if we can find someone special. But we've got some young guys there. Scooby and shemar I think are starters no matter what and we have a good class coming in there. I think we need to add a corner and a safety. Safety that can be a leader but also an SEC quality starter.

Then on offense, we have to get a tackle. Barber is solid but we've gotta get that other side locked down. The biggest hole in our offense is right there. Pending on who stays and who goes, we may need to add a guard. And I think we definitely need to add a receiver. Pearsall is gonna leave a big hole in the offense. Receiver , DE , Safety and OT are the biggest needs imo. All must gets.
Part of the problem is our linebackers suck. Having Chiles and Graham is going to help considerably.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Part of the problem is our linebackers suck. Having Chiles and Graham is going to help considerably.
They've definitely had their struggles but to me our defensive hasn't kept em real clean either .
I feeling like scooby and shemar can be good. It's the guys behind them that are probably gonna lose snaps to the freshmen

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
They've definitely had their struggles but to me our defensive hasn't kept em real clean either .
I feeling like scooby and shemar can be good. It's the guys behind them that are probably gonna lose snaps to the freshmen
Scooby Williams is good for about a quarter. He just isn’t good enough to last the entire game. I think he’s meant to be a back up player.

And there’s nothing wrong with that.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Everything he said! Maybe the DB’s are tired of covering receivers for 10 seconds and having to make tackles 10 yards down field. I don’t think it’s fair to evaluate them when you look at our pass rushing numbers and our LB play.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
It's a major part of the problem. Those clowns are out of position a ton on both pass and run plays, don't know what gap they are supposed to be in, can't find the ball, clueless in pass coverage either letting the back go or not covering the TE. Is it youth? I don't know but here is what I do know...they ain't all true Fr and no matter the DC, some schemes aren't that much different. You have to know where the ball is..that's middle school shyt. You have to know you have the flats for coverage, High School shyt and you have to get your ass in the hole and stand a bytch up and make the tackle. What you cant do is go flying into the line, get all hemmed up in traffic and then watch the ball carries go whizzing past you and not put a hand on him. There is WAY TOO much of that going on and the LB coaches need to be in their ass. Peterson knows better that much I am sure of.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
No, we don’t know. But we don’t know how much was attempted to hold onto them either.
I’ve not claimed otherwise, but it’s not fair for some people to blame the current staff for players who left when they have no idea what effort went into trying to keep them.

Powell is a good example of a guy who I wish had stayed (Tarquin as well).

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Scooby Williams is good for about a quarter. He just isn’t good enough to last the entire game. I think he’s meant to be a back up player.

And there’s nothing wrong with that.
He’s decent as a pass rusher or QB spy on 3rd down . He’s also somewhat of an enigma. He was fantastic against Tennessee and absolutely dreadful against most teams since then. He doesn’t tackle well, especially in space which is of course a prerequisite for excelling at LB today .

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Everything he said! Maybe the DB’s are tired of covering receivers for 10 seconds and having to make tackles 10 yards down field. I don’t think it’s fair to evaluate them when you look at our pass rushing numbers and our LB play.

Saw this posted on another board. P12 and ACC are obviously different, but this is an example of getting too cute with the process and mismanaging the portal. No way you could convince me we couldn’t have used those guys this year, and to your point, our secondary has suffered as a result.

“Andrew Chatfield Jr. and Antwaun Powell-Ryland have 18 sacks, 2 INT's, 4 forced fumbles combined.

Our entire defense has 19 sacks, 3 INT's, and 6 forced fumbles combined.”

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Our defense went on a tear when we kicked Cox of the team and powell Ryland stepped in. I thought it was crazy that he was gonn be sitting behind princely. The one who has these high grades and no sacks lol

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Our defense went on a tear when we kicked Cox of the team and powell Ryland stepped in. I thought it was crazy that he was gonn be sitting behind princely. The one who has these high grades and no sacks lol

The grades are probably imagining Princely in a system where the defensive players are set, have their feet planted and understand what they’re doing before the offense snaps the ball. Several NFL teams are running those type systems today, as weird as it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator