Recruiting 2024 Transfer Portal Thread: USC offensive lineman Jason Zandamela headed to UF

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

Season 3 Leave GIF by Martin

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
We don’t always know why guys transfer out. It can of course be purely football considerations like playing time etc. or financial inducements via NIL. But let’s not forget the unspoken issues including academics and unpublicized disciplinary problems.

I’ll add a newer one. Can’t handle money. While UF is putting a lot of effort into teaching these guys how to deal with money that few have ever seen, there are surely players who don’t deal well with it, including loss of focus, fat & happy, which impedes development. They can lose their edge, more often than Princely.

We won’t know the full story, usually.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I know it’s somewhat in jest that people are unhappy with Marshall coming back, but it really is a positive for two key reasons. One, it means that he obviously likes something he’s seen in Harris which bodes well for recruiting. And two, despite what it looks like at times, he’s a solid corner who carries experience and can help the younger guys. He’s been less than what I expected, but I’d also likely to become yet another example of an NFL player who’ll look substantially better as a pro than he did at UF because of the play surrounding him. Either way, we can’t keep the revolving door going at all times with new faces at every position. Would love to see Jackson grab the other spot.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I know it’s somewhat in jest that people are unhappy with Marshall coming back, but it really is a positive for two key reasons. One, it means that he obviously likes something he’s seen in Harris which bodes well for recruiting. And two, despite what it looks like at times, he’s a solid corner who carries experience and can help the younger guys. He’s been less than what I expected, but I’d also likely to become yet another example of an NFL player who’ll look substantially better as a pro than he did at UF because of the play surrounding him. Either way, we can’t keep the revolving door going at all times with new faces at every position. Would love to see Jackson grab the other spot.
I’ve felt for awhile that he has regressed the last two seasons. A change of CB coaches could make a big difference, as he has all the physical tools. (Or not of course.).

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I’ve felt for awhile that he has regressed the last two seasons. A change of CB coaches could make a big difference, as he has all the physical tools. (Or not of course.).
Yes, but as @soflagator said, he’ll be a lot better when things around him improve. We haven’t put pressure on QBs since Greenard, Zuniga and Polite. They were solid vs. the run, too. That’s why those were the last decent defenses we’ve had.

When the threat is the play will be over in 2 seconds they play tighter, and benefit from hurried throws, more chances to jump routes or snag errant throws, blitz etc.. When you can’t get pressure, the DBs play softer and have to defend way too long.

Whether it’s Boone, Pyburn, Collins, McCray or hopefully all of them and more, we’ve simply got to affect the QB fast and/or meet the RB behind the line.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Bama starting center, in the portal?
Seth McLaughlin appears ready to put his time at Alabama behind him.

The center for the Crimson Tide has entered the transfer portal after a disastrous playoff game against Michigan, according to Pete Thamel.

McLaughlin will have two years of eligibility remaining wherever he lands next.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
If Moore can stay healthy, he has the other spot locked down IMO.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Perhaps. Or is it possible there was no interest in Marshall at the level he thought there would be?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We don’t always know why guys transfer out. It can of course be purely football considerations like playing time etc. or financial inducements via NIL. But let’s not forget the unspoken issues including academics and unpublicized disciplinary problems.

I’ll add a newer one. Can’t handle money. While UF is putting a lot of effort into teaching these guys how to deal with money that few have ever seen, there are surely players who don’t deal well with it, including loss of focus, fat & happy, which impedes development. They can lose their edge, more often than Princely.

We won’t know the full story, usually.

Or in the case that has been with this staff, being told they will be let go, so transfer to give themselves an opportunity. One thing this staff has done better than even Meyer is stay right at the 85 and over limit. Meyer was usually a few players short of the number, now you could make an argument that not the same quality of talent (which I would agree). And some of this is due to the poor creation and application of the 2020 exemptions. But The staff since year one has been telling kids that were on the fringe they need to go elsewhere.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Or in the case that has been with this staff, being told they will be let go, so transfer to give themselves an opportunity. One thing this staff has done better than even Meyer is stay right at the 85 and over limit. Meyer was usually a few players short of the number, now you could make an argument that not the same quality of talent (which I would agree). And some of this is due to the poor creation and application of the 2020 exemptions. But The staff since year one has been telling kids that were on the fringe they need to go elsewhere.
While ratings should always of course be taken with a grain of salt, it interesting to see how many of the Bama guys who entered the portal yesterday were highly rated coming out of HS, but their On3 transfer rating is much lower. Assuming On3 knows what they are talking about, it definitely goes toward your point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator