Recruiting 2024 Transfer Portal Thread: USC offensive lineman Jason Zandamela headed to UF

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Listen, it's a great honor to coach these young men, right? It's an opportunity to go out every day and work to be the best you can be, and that's what we're doing, right? There will be struggles along the way relative to length and experience, but those opportunities are special. If that makes sense.
FIFY

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
These numbers problems are all bullsh!!t. Portal guys just commit and don't count until enrolled. Who enrolls in April?
I don't think 85 even matters until fall semester starts in August. Of course when you follow a program that sits between 75 and 80 guys for 15 years you can lose track of the actual rules.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alderman said that nothing is imminent with this kid. He said this kid wants to come, but UF has a numbers problem. And so everything is still un flux.
Easy - get rid of the 5th and 6th year players that add nothing to the team.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
We have 9 TEs, 15 Edge/OLB types and like 6 WRs that have done nothing in their time here. Wonder if that’s playing a role.
Awesome, a three deep at TE. Shouldn't need more than 6, but okay. 21 DBs on roster, one DB coach. 19 OL on roster, two OL coaches.

9 listed at ILB, 13 listed at EDGE, most of whom are above 250 so not OLBs. Am I not understanding our D alignment, thinking there should be a number of OLB types? An EDGE is one of four down DL, no? Are those listed at ILB also OLBs?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Moten—good Lord, I forgot about that disaster
Fraziars—good kid, gone
Weston—city in SoFla known for wealth and JAP’s.
Desmond Watson—ultimatum, probably gone
Damien George—I don’t even know who that is
Simmonds—ok, now you’re just making up names
Wingo—potential, I’d be ok with him staying

Problem solved.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
These numbers problems are all bullsh!!t. Portal guys just commit and don't count until enrolled. Who enrolls in April?
I don't think 85 even matters until fall semester starts in August. Of course when you follow a program that sits between 75 and 80 guys for 15 years you can lose track of the actual rules.
Correct. 85 only matters when fall semester starts.

But we were under 80 longer than you realize. UMIII only topped 80 once during his tenure. Him, we trusted.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Awesome, a three deep at TE. Shouldn't need more than 6, but okay. 21 DBs on roster, one DB coach. 19 OL on roster, two OL coaches.

9 listed at ILB, 13 listed at EDGE, most of whom are above 250 so not OLBs. Am I not understanding our D alignment, thinking there should be a number of OLB types? An EDGE is one of four down DL, no? Are those listed at ILB also OLBs?
Wait just a doggone minute here. I was told that our recruiting was MUCH more balanced. Not sure where I read that, but maybe here on GC!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

I think they are now calling both "DEs", both what we would traditionally call SDE and WDE as an "Edge" now, probably bc it looks cooler or something. Obviously the heavies arent play the "WDE/jack" position that flexes into coverage as an "OLB".

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
apparently we just got some air force tight end, Caleb Rillos, from the portal as a walk-on. in 4 seasons he's had 11 total catches fellas!

just so excited about this season...

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
apparently we just got some air force tight end, Caleb Rillos, from the portal as a walk-on. in 4 seasons he's had 11 total catches fellas!

just so excited about this season...
There's a lot wrong with the program to legitimately complain about, but taking a lower D1 guy in as walk-on ain't one of them. Seriously, do you really care about walk-ons now?

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
There's a lot wrong with the program to legitimately complain about, but taking a lower D1 guy in as walk-on ain't one of them. Seriously, do you really care about walk-ons now?
For me the concern isn't taking a walk on. It's taking a walk on while not being able to attract any actual talent in areas of need, or being so slow in the portal because of our "process" that we don't land guys like that olineman who wants to come here but can't get anyone to answer their phone.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah. If he’s a walk on, I don’t give two shyts. I just don’t want these guys taking up scholarships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator