Best Posts in Thread: Bits & Pieces: Florida vs. Kentucky

1. cover2

cover2 I've grown old
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $981
    Ratings:
    +3,816 / -2
    After reading a couple of threads, I think we'll start out with a joke to lighten the mood a little. Here goes...What did Bennie Snell say to the Florida defense when he ran into them at the bar in Club Park Avenue? "Excuse me guys, but may I push your stool in?"

:rimshot:

Bad joke, but you get the point. Snell ran for 175. He's a good back, but I couldn't believe just how many missed tackles we had. I was hoping we had that leftover habit repaired, but apparently not. I was not quite as surprised that the OL stunk, unfortunately. You won't win many when the opponent dominates both lines of scrimmage. Big story of the game as far as I'm concerned, but let's talk about some of the moving parts:

*Franks was not consistent tonight and it would be easy to say he either regressed from the first game or he just fooled us against an over matched opponent. Maybe a little of both. Though he wasn't real sharp, he was better when the game was close and made some good decisions and good reads and throws in the first half. I didn't think he handled the pressure when behind with the clock ticking. To be fair, the OL didn't make his job any easier. The missed opportunity on the two point conversion attempt was a text book case of Franks making his mind up to throw back across the formation, which we scored against CSU with, and completely missing a wide open Davis...on the side he rolled to! He may be better, but there's still work to be done, especially with composure.

*Poster boy for our OL woes is Martez Ivey. Tackle body; Guard feet. Poor Fred Johnson is a close second. But really they all seem to play with cement shoes and look confused on their assignments frequently. The SEC Network commentator made a good point on the step-gap responsibility that remains backside that wasn't fulfilled. Got to at least be able to get a punch and slow the guy up a step. Ground Hog Day.

*The entire D was not good. It starts with the DL, who simply got manhandled the majority of the game (when they weren't being held; a lot of no calls IMO). Our LBs aren't good, but they're really not good when the DL can't protect them. Henderson looked like our best cover guy in the secondary and I can't say much bad about Chauncey, but we gave up two TD's that certainly should have been better covered IMO. First one was a young guy that got caught peeking at the QB when he should have been in the receiver's jersey with him. The second I thought the safety had plenty of time to read the route and adjust, but it never happened. Losing Wilson will definitely hurt. Even though they did have a couple of good stops, the entire D better grow up in a hurry.

*I've alluded to what I believe were several missed holding calls by the officials, so you can read that as I'm not impressed with their performance. I won't say "we was robbed," but they didn't help matters. The homer in me also says as close as the field goal attempt was, it was hard for me to see justification in the no good call. I guess I understand the rule change that the ball must be inside the upright when it crosses, but I'm not agreeing with it tonight. Could have made a difference, particularly if Franks would have seen Davis! Moot point I guess.

*High point in the game was the 99 yard drive. It wasn't smooth, but the ending was beautiful.

*Freddy Swain was announced as the player of the game. Toney looked good. Franks, again, wasn't consistent with all his throws, but we had some drops. Cleveland had some stone hands tonight.

*I'm sure Mullen (and the staff) will be raked over the coals and surely they deserve some criticism. Personally, I felt like we didn't rush the ball to set up the pass nearly enough at the outset, but maybe what they knew about the OL influenced that decision? Poor tackling has to fall in the coach's lap. Illegal substitution penalty after the time out was inexcusable. I'm sure there are more. But if you didn't think that there was going to be some of what was on display tonight from this roster, you were kidding yourself. The fact that we saw it this early was a kindling point. The fact that UK was better than they have been, got pretty good play from their QB, Snell, and didn't shoot themselves in the foot like last year had a bearing on the outcome.

Back to the drawing board and another week of *****in' in store. Got to find away to get more wins on the LOS. For as much as the average fans these days want to focus on the skill positions and the need for entertainment, the game is still usually won or lost at the line. I believe tonight helped remind us of that. Still a lot of football to be played, but it's got to get better in all phases as we move forward. Go Gators!

:chomp:

• Gatorpastor1975

Oxbucks:
      $36
      Ratings:
      +31 / -0
      Newbie here. The only one positive thing from last night was my father wasn't with me to see it. My father passed away this past February and watching the game isn't the same without him. If he was still alive, I would have been looking for a new tv. The man was passionate about his beloved gators. The last thing my dad said to me was,"Son, I am glad they got rid of 3 star general. I just hope Dan isn't one too." I hope you guys don't mind me joining in the talk. I just wanna to be in group that reminds me of my father.
      Ok, now that's over, I am so disappointed with the lost. Since, we have been playing like we are in the 70's can someone tell me where I can get a polyester leisure suit?

• AlexDaGator

AlexDaGator The Hammer of Thor
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $2,458
        Ratings:
        +9,147 / -11
        I said before the game I expected a score of 21-20 or 17-20.

I did expect us to win though. It should have been worse than it was. Franks hit Kentucky DBs in the hands several times and was fortunate they dropped them.

Most of us were overreacting to game one. We’re probably overreacting to this one a bit too although this is a lot closer to what we are than what we saw last week.

Some sober takes:

This IS a better coached team than last year. Less confusion on O for sure. Last year’s delay and procedure penalties were constant. We’re getting the plays in on time. We can’t complain that they aren’t trying to stretch the D by taking deep shots.

The special teams coaching is waaaay better than last year.

Franks IS better. He’s feeling the rush, moving better in the pocket, he’s more of a leader. He’s still not a touch passer, and he’s inaccurate. There are things coaching can fix in a QB. Unfortunately, accuracy seems to be something a QB has or doesn’t have. Franks don’t got it.

Scarlett has shown me nothing this season. Maybe it’s rust but he’s not running as well as Perine or Davis.

Raymond can’t catch.

The OL...sigh. It’s not like we’re rolling out a bunch of true freshmen and a D2 transfer. We have size, experience, even some depth. And they suck. We KNOW Hevesy can coach. He can’t put in what God left out but I’d like to see progress to the level of their ability.

I don’t have much nice to say about the D or Grantham. I really hope Wilson’s injury isn’t an ACL but that’s what it looked like. We’ve got a couple of big run-stoppers at DT and they didn’t clog the middle at all. Others have mentioned the tackling problems. We’ve had this for years and this CAN be improved by coaching. Unfortunately, we have a short defensive bench without a lot of talent on it and that makes coaching a lot harder.

Big picture? We are who we thought we were. Everybody is disappointed because you let last week get your hopes up. We knew D wasn’t going to be good. We were hoping for improvements in special team coaching and in offensive coaching. We’ve got better receivers and a deeper RB corps. We lack overall talent. We have bad LBs and a bad OL. We don’t have a QB. We are who we thought we were.

Alex.

• cover2

cover2 I've grown old
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $981
          Ratings:
          +3,816 / -2
          Very disappointed to hear you say this. I can understand the frustration, however. Sack 'em up. There's a lot more ball to be played.

• SeabeeGator

SeabeeGator Well-Known Member
            Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
            $956
            Ratings:
            +967 / -7
            Like cover2 said, sack up. This was never going to be a great year. Watch for progression throughout the year - that’s whats important.

• stephenPE

stephenPE Senior Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $1,060
              Ratings:
              +6,059 / -310
              When you take away a man's eternal hope, blind faith and optimism all you have left is a Vol\commodore\MSU\UK\USCe\ fan. We have been to the mountain top and watched our rivals\enemies cower before us. When you reach the top it makes the bottom seem so much worse. Some have said _________burned our beloved empire to the ground with arrogance and frugality. Maybe. Maybe there is parity below the five star communities and we are now fighting to rise above this level. Hungry? UK was a starving beast who's players would become INSTANTLY famous and lauded by their big fan base with a win on Fla Field. THEY were playing for something real and tangible. Our boys were just trying to dig themselves out of this decade long hole of mediocrity and despair. Maybe Mullen is the wrong guy. His short time here may all some EXPERTS need to believe that. He is my coach and these are my players. Gonna support their asses until they aint ours anymore. Then support the next in line. It is what I do. Cannot speak for anyone else.

• GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
                $2,857
                Ratings:
                +10,877 / -98
                Failure to run it. Weird game plan.

Defense was abysmal. Some of the worst tackling I’ve ever seen us have. And 12 men on the field with time running down. Grantham is just a liability.

• Jay26

Jay26 Senior Member

Oxbucks:
                  $3,026
                  Ratings:
                  +8,698 / -241
                  While I’m at it...call me crazy but I don’t think Franks was the issue either. I thought he looked pretty good in the first half, we just had A) no run game and B) multiple dropped passes.

Second half it looked like he was pressing and trying to force balls. As he is still relatively young, this should not be unexpected. Bottom line is he needs more help (heck, he was our leading rusher :facepalm: )

• alcoholica

alcoholica Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                    $1,875
                    Ratings:
                    +7,842 / -252
                    @Swamp Donkey *****ed all year about shytty LB’s and Safeties. And...he was right. Deal with it.

I thought Scarlett would be better but Perine clearly has better vision. Time for a change.

Ivey has no business at LT and Johnson has no business starting.

Our LB’s can’t tackle for shyt, our Safeties let people behind them. How many passes did Cleveland drop.

Franks is improved and really the least of our concerns. Which is really weird to say.

8 months of lifting weights doesn’t make up for 3 years of yoga.

Only pissed at Mullen for not running the ball more, not playing Perine more, and starting Ivey at LT. Grantham can EABOD.

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Wait til 2025
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $15,504
                      Ratings:
                      +39,635 / -1,243
                      He isn't good but he was much less of an issue than OL, DL (DEs mostly), LB and safeties.

• '78

'78 Dazed and Confused
                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                        $5,816
                        Ratings:
                        +11,717 / -301
                        I'm searching all the hospitals in Lake Tahoe for NV.

• SCColaGator

SCColaGator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                          $522
                          Ratings:
                          +536 / -11
                          I think the drop in recruiting talent has caught up to us. There was a lot of panic it seemed like in our boys. A lot of boys expecting to lose.

• Jay26

Jay26 Senior Member

Oxbucks:
                            $3,026
                            Ratings:
                            +8,698 / -241
                            I’m all for getting Davis and Pierce more carries, but I can’t pin the abysmal rushing numbers on any RB. Our OL opened little to no holes until UK went soft on the 99 yard drive.

It won’t matter who is back there if our OL gets zero push.

Oh, and Fred Johnson just ain’t it. Gotta find a replacement ASAP

Edit: I will 100% pin Scarlett’s two drops on him. We can’t be sending Scarlett and Raymond out on routes especially when we have better options in Davis/Perine and any other TE

#55 Jay26, Sep 9, 2018
                            Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
                            • LongTooth

LongTooth Senior Member

Oxbucks:
                              $867
                              Ratings:
                              +1,627 / -33
                              JUCO level talent at OL, QB, interior DL, LB, and safety will get you the 2-3 win season we are about to experience this year and maybe next.

Half the offensive playbook is dormant because we don't have a QB or offensive line.

Mac's lack of ability to recruit and develop, especially on defense, is now beating us around the head and shoulders.

UK pushed us 5 yds downfield every play. We got pushed two yards back every play on offense.

Toney, Pierce, and Perine need a ton more touches. Time for Dan to get ruthless with players and coaches.

• lizardbreath

lizardbreath Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                                $511
                                Ratings:
                                +949 / -18
                                Yeah, the tough talk from the steely-eyed "realists" gets old fast - especially when they throw in the towel and start crying like babies when "reality" rears it's ugly head like it did last night. I'm readjusting my expectations, just like a lot of people this morning, but anybody who actually "expected" 10 wins, or a championship season with this roster and this coaching staff is delusional. That having been said, the following points seem to be worth making:

1. We got our asses handed to us on both lines of scrimmage - like duh. Plenty of blame to go around for everyone, but Johnson and Ivey are seniors playing like low-end 3 star freshmen. They should be benched in favor of any younger player with a pulse. Go ahead and bite the bullet now and start the process of bringing someone else along, during what is obviously the first of at least two rebuilding seasons. All this talk about how "great" our defensive front seven is was just plain silly. The LBs are journeymen at best and the interior line is "about" average. The secondary is thin, young and talks more than it tackles. Grantham better get it together fast or he'll rapidly become DM's Nuss, and DM won't be dancing around on the sidelines for long if the ineptitude we saw last night continues.

2. Franks doesn't look as bad as he did last year, but he's so far behind the curve that even with some evidence of improvement, he is still a long-term project and a near-term liability. Obviously, my enthusiastic response to his performance last week was premature - to say the least. Apparently, the staff thinks he's the best option at this point and that speaks volumes about our situation at QB.

3. Like virtually everyone on the board, I was somewhere between distinctly disappointed and severely pissed when DM was hired. Law donkey is correct - he is what his resume says he is. My hope is that he can at least make some headway in the struggle to get this program back on its feet. Any illusions that he can do it quickly or easily can now be laid to rest. I don't know if there is a "best case scenario" beyond modest improvement and a glimmer of hope for the future. And even that small hope may well be in vain. But giving up after the first bloody nose damn sure ain't the answer. We have no choice but to play the cards we've got and get on with trying to put the program back together.

4. Kentucky is doing what we need to do. At this point, they are physically stronger, more talented at several positions, and clearly better coached than we have been at any point in the last several years. They didn't get there over night and neither will we. As I've said before, there is considerable doubt the DM will ever be more than a transitional coach - taking us from utter calamity to some semblance of respectability. But one thing is for sure, the coming couple of seasons will not be for the sunshine patriots or the faint at heart. Anyone who can't brace himself for the ride should probably check out now. Go Gators!

• Like Like x 6
                                • Dislike Dislike x 1
                                • List
                                • Turk182

Turk182 Go to guy!

Oxbucks:
                                  $75
                                  Ratings:
                                  +202 / -2
                                  Your constant "Me against the World" crap is getting old. Many, if not most of us were not overjoyed with the Mullen hire but once he's hired, he's our coach, that's the sad truth. You seem to be ate up with the need to be the only person who see's the problem and lump everyone else into the "enemy" camp.

The team sucked, the coaches sucked and many of the fans sucked, that's the take away from this crappy game!

• NVGator

NVGator Member
                                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                    $2,338
                                    Ratings:
                                    +5,737 / -181
                                    Season's over. Have fun with the rest of it. Sucks this ended so soon.

• Dislike Dislike x 8
                                    • Like Like x 6
                                    • List
                                    • cover2

cover2 I've grown old
                                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                      $981
                                      Ratings:
                                      +3,816 / -2
                                      I don't think any scheme changes are as much the issue as poor fundamentals and lack of execution, which we have seen for the last several years from the OL group. The whole zone concept that is employed by many programs these days has the players higher than ever before and relying on lateral movement and engagement while on the move. Throw in three seasons of what has been described as "walk-through" practices and what translates to the field is what we see. I think the base blocking requirements now are maybe foreign to what has been required before, but the lack of execution, attention to details like the inside gap step and keeping an eye on the backside that you refer to, and the overall effort from some of the players has not and is not sufficient to get the job done against a motivated opponent. Another factor, the strength and conditioning aspect has improved, but as with the blocking rules, techniques, and fundamentals are still some seasons behind where they need to be. At least that is what it looks like from the games. This problem didn't just happen overnight and it won't be fixed quickly either, unfortunately. But they still could be better than we've seen!

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
                                        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                        $2,625
                                        Ratings:
                                        +9,742 / -41
                                        I think its impossible to really overstate just how much of a hole that Butters and Foley put this program in. Our talent level is the lowest I can ever remember and our facilities and overall football atmosphere have made it damn near impossible to correct that crucial part of the equation. I don't know if we are ever going to get back to the Spurrier/Meyer level in my lifetime. For those who think its as simple as getting a better coach, I don't see a better coach who is available and even if he were I don't see this program replacing Mullen any time soon. He is going to be here for years and by that I don't mean 3 years I mean 5-6 minimum. So buckle up buttercup.

• NVGator

NVGator Member
                                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                          $2,338
                                          Ratings:
                                          +5,737 / -181
                                          GTFOOH, Seriously, Get the Fùck out. No one, NO ONE, saw this BS coming and it’s all at the footsteps of the O & D play calling. Stick you progress up somewhere else. That don’t fly.

• Drunk Drunk x 6
                                          • Like Like x 5
                                          • List

The Box

Help

You don't have the necessary permissions to use the chat.

• About Us

Our community sprung up when the Gatorsports message board was shut down in the summer of 2014. We pride ourselves on offering Gator-biased, yet critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is the best Gator message board you will find.
                                          • Like us on Facebook

• Buy us a Zima!

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a non-alcoholic Zima? We'd really appreciate it! Just click the "Donate" tab at the top of the page.