The primary role of the sports message board

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Vetting for sure, but I get an education from several posters. In the sports area Cover 2 is great, in politics Alex the Gator. I also use the site to find out things about the Gators.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
No I use other forums as well, like that one our new members dislike.
Chatter is the
th

I was banned so much on that "Other Forum" I had to find my
th

Give our love to Lacuna & River for us.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I used to have more of a championship-or-bust mentality, and would be bitterly disappointed at the point in any given sports season when my team of choice was eliminated from contention. That was before any of my teams actually won one.

The first one, the Gators in '96, felt fantastic when it happened. Finally!

But shortly afterwards, I had sort of an epiphany:

The real joy doesn't come from reaching the mountaintop; it comes from the climb.

It's not "my" win when my team wins; I don't play on the team. By the same token, a loss is not "my" loss, so I don't take it to heart too much. I just like watching games, not taking anything for granted, and not knowing what I'm gonna get.

Nice post, G! The height of peaks in life is defined by the depth of the valleys around them. Gator football has been in a pretty deep valley the last 10 years. Reaching the next peak is really going to feel good!

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
...the Gators in '96, felt fantastic when it happened. Finally!

But shortly afterwards, I had sort of an epiphany: My life hadn't changed one bit! I still had to go to my same old job. Nobody was more impressed with me than they'd been before. I didn't get a ring, or a trophy, or certainly not a cash prize. Nobody carried me around on their shoulders. And the thing is, even if they did, they would've had to put me down eventually. Life goes on, no different than before.

I know it sounds like a super-cheesy cliché, but it's true: The real joy doesn't come from reaching the mountaintop; it comes from the climb.

I am a sports fan. I like watching games. I love when my team wins...that game. That day. I'm not fixated on "winning it all," because as I've learned, that joy is fleeting and inconsequential in terms of its real impact on my life.

It's not "my" win when my team wins; I don't play on the team. By the same token, a loss is not "my" loss, so I don't take it to heart too much. I just like watching games, not taking anything for granted, and not knowing what I'm gonna get.

That's it. Thanks for reading my ramblings if you made it this far.

chocolate-gif.gif

Love your post.

My first real awareness of sports was the ‘71 Dolphins. I was 10. They lost the Super Bowl TJ the Cowboys but went undefeated the next year and won another after that. All downhill from there!

I got deeply hooked into the Gators soon after. My first season as a student was 1980 - when the climb began. I started season tickets in 1990 and loved the radical change to excellence.

I differ from you a bit in that my life did change after 1996. I howled for joy in the street in the middle of the night and I could hear others doing the same. As SOS said at the championship rally, it was for all Gators. My grandfather graduated in 1931 and lived to see that. Our team, our school, had won. It mattered, as many things do or don’t, because we made it matter.

I’m well aware a huge chunk of this world doesn’t care about college football. But I do, so reaching the pinnacle that first time was huge. And all 3 matter, even though they don’t affect my job etc. They bring me joy. (Some friends and colleagues smile patronizingly or shake their heads in disbelief at my fandom. So what?)

But I’ve nestled in with this being my team. I learn about the players’ stories and take delight in their success. I do get frustrated at their failures but try to think about what a young man needs - challenges, encouragement & consequences for willful mistakes. Championships are “mine”, but I realize that is at a derivative level. I do want the shirts and the hats, though.

I limit my investment of heart to Gator athletics. I like pro sports and like certain teams and athletes, but not like I love my Gators.

And I agree it’s the climb. Savor the climb. And I’ve had as my sig line from the start here and at GSMB “Enjoy the ride”.

This board helps. We care about this stuff. I learn a lot & get my too-rosy outlook challenged. Sometimes I challenge other’s too-dour outlook. And...NO TROLLS!!!! That’s why I’m here.

So thanks, Ox.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Gordon G said:
I used to have more of a championship-or-bust mentality, and would be bitterly disappointed at the point in any given sports season when my team of choice was eliminated from contention. That was before any of my teams actually won one.

The first one, the Gators in '96, felt fantastic when it happened. Finally! :woohoo:

But shortly afterwards, I had sort of an epiphany: Age does that........I call it perspective

The real joy doesn't come from reaching the mountaintop; it comes from the climb. Yes times 10000

It's not "my" win when my team wins; I don't play on the team. By the same token, a loss is not "my" loss, so I don't take it to heart too much. I just like watching games, not taking anything for granted, and not knowing what I'm gonna get. Who is this guy that I agree with so much.

Could not agree more. It is like you found my old post somewhere and put it into your own words.........:scratchchin:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
@GR8 2B and @Theologator, thanks for the props, guys. Much appreciated! Glad I didn't write all that crap for nothing. :proud:

@stephenPE, great post! I like it better when you copy my ramblings and annotate them with some favorable comments, rather than posting.....your own ramblings.....about the time you went to Morganville*.....with an onion tied to your belt.....which was the style at the time. ;):p

Just messing with you, Coach. :D RAMBLE ON! Sing your song! :headbang:

Here's the original, for purists who don't like covers.

*Morganville is what they called Shelbyville back in those days.

Great song.........I remember when I discovered Robt Plant. On a hot turn table my brother brought home from boot camp.
This is the same concept about "singing your song" SOS's favorite at one time.

Jun 2, 2015
Football, like life, has ups & downs, peaks & valleys. As an old 'Cane, from the mid 1950's, we were thrilled to win 5 to 6 games & were everyone's doormat/homecoming game. Then along comes Coach Snelly with emphasis on speed & we became invincible & better than any team in the nation for a few years.

Then, the bottom fell out for a number of years and we were humbled again, much like UF. FSU has been on top & now it is their turn to hit bottom (I hope) for a long period of time. I feel both the 'Canes & UF are on an upward trend & FSU is headed down. Remember Alabama was down quite a few years after The Bear & it is only a matter of time before they too will go down...

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Football, like life, has ups & downs, peaks & valleys. As an old 'Cane, from the mid 1950's, we were thrilled to win 5 to 6 games & were everyone's doormat/homecoming game. Then along comes Coach Snelly with emphasis on speed & we became invincible & better than any team in the nation for a few years.

Then, the bottom fell out for a number of years and we were humbled again, much like UF. FSU has been on top & now it is their turn to hit bottom (I hope) for a long period of time. I feel both the 'Canes & UF are on an upward trend & FSU is headed down. Remember Alabama was down quite a few years after The Bear & it is only a matter of time before they too will go down...
I always enjoy your posts, daytona. Am I correct in assuming that you've already got August 31, 2019, circled on your calendar?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Most gator fans do, GR8..............And my GOD we play Auburn next year, also? Its like we have a time machine so we
can return to yesteryear.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Most gator fans do, GR8..............And my GOD we play Auburn next year, also? Its like we have a time machine so we
can return to yesteryear.
I hear you, Coach. It's circled on my calendar too. I asked daytona because I remember her history as she related it to us on this board some time ago. She's clearly a Gator AND a Cane. Having the Canes and the Tigers on our schedule the same year is a real throwback. I was unhappy when the Canes went off our rotation, because I really liked the idea of the Gators, Nulls, and Canes playing each other every year. I understood SOS' explanation at the time, but still didn't like it.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Doing it in the 90s was suicide. It was bad enough the nulls only had us and Miami to play while we had a murderers row most of the year but adding Miami would have been insane. I think we shoulda alternated the nulls and coCANES every two years............It was insane what we had to play : UT, Aub for awhile, FSU , LSU. Bama sometimes. THen usually bama in Atlanta or worse, on their home field for the title.
The other reason was so we could have one extra home game for the $$$. With miami we lose it every other year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.