3 UF players who must have break-out seasons

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Do you agree: Franks, Reese, and Heggie?

http://gridironnow.com/3-florida-players-breakout-seasons/

3 Florida players who need to have breakout seasons in 2017

Every college football team needs new stars to emerge each season. So who are the top-three Florida players who must deliver a breakout season for the Gators to achieve their goals? If this trio stumbles, it’s hard to see UF winning a third consecutive SEC East title.

QB Feleipe Franks

The buzz
: Florida is desperate to finally develop a highly recruited prospect into an All-SEC performer. Franks doesn’t have to become the SEC’s best quarterback this season, but he needs to be in the conversation among the top four.

Franks, a redshirt freshman, was far from perfect in the spring game, but he did enough to take some momentum into the summer. He was 8-of-14 for 119 yards with one touchdown, consistently moving the offense with scoring drives on three of four possessions.

Franks also was put in a position to succeed. He couldn’t be hit and was operating against the second-team defense. It won’t be that easy against Michigan on September 2.

It’s hard to envision Florida being able to reach elite status this season if Franks can’t secure the job and perform at a quality level.

MLB David Reese

The buzz
: Florida’s defense will greatly be shaped by the contribution Reese can make. He looked impressive as a true freshman last season when he filled in for injured standout Jarrad Davis. Reese started four games and finished the season with 49 tackles.

Reese missed the spring with a wrist injury, so fall camp will be vital for him. New defensive coordinator Randy Shannon needs Reese to be productive and to master the ability to communicate and lead the defense.

Reese also needs to become a bigger factor when it comes to big plays. He made just two tackles for loss last season.

The Gators have little proven depth behind Reese, so his health and improvement are paramount to UF’s success on defense. He needs to be in the All-SEC mix.

G/C Brett Heggie

The buzz
: UF finally believes it has a line that could be excellent. The tackles and center spot look strong with Martez Ivey (left tackle), Jawaan Taylor (right tackle) and T.J. McCoy (center). The key will be in the interior and Heggie will be an important cog.

McElwain praised Heggie throughout spring drills. Heggie, who was a star center in high school, redshirted last season but appears to be in position to win the job at left guard. If Heggie can deliver, UF has an enviable starting five with Fred Johnson and Tyler Jordan battling at right guard.

New offensive line coach Brad Davis described Heggie as a “gym rat” during spring and praised him for his performance.

Franks, or whoever starts at quarterback, would benefit greatly if Florida’s line can have its best season since the Urban Meyer era. The line can’t reach those heights without Heggie breaking out this fall.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I'm not going to say a RS fresh that's never played a game needs to have a breakout season. My guys,

1. Taven Bryan - He has freakish athletic ability and, according to reports, is now over 300 pounds. He needs to play like his nickname. The key is whether or not he's improved his technique which has been the problem.

2. Ty Cleveland - He played last year and showed immense talent. He'll be stronger, bigger, and faster than most of the corners covering him. Him breaking out will take the pressure off of Franks.

3. Marcell Harris - He's been a disappointment so far, but he played at a high level at the end of last year. He needs to continue that kind of play.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not going to say a RS fresh that's never played a game needs to have a breakout season. My guys,

1. Taven Bryan - He has freakish athletic ability and, according to reports, is now over 300 pounds. He needs to play like his nickname. The key is whether or not he's improved his technique which has been the problem.

2. Ty Cleveland - He played last year and showed immense talent. He'll be stronger, bigger, and faster than most of the corners covering him. Him breaking out will take the pressure off of Franks.

3. Marcell Harris - He's been a disappointment so far, but he played at a high level at the end of last year. He needs to continue that kind of play.

Nice list.

I would consider last season Harris' breakout season. Am I reading it wrong or did he lead the team in total tackles with 73? I think he broke out. I know it isn't the same thing, but I'd call it by position.

My positions in need of a breakout:

1. QB - I really don't care if it's Franks, Trask, Zaire, the freshman athlete or LDR (though I don't have high hopes for several of those)
2. DL - We need at least one DL to step up to be a play maker with plenty of TFL and sacks. We also need enough depth / few enough injuries to fill our needs there.
3. LB - We're projecting to have some good, but young, talent here. We need them to play with the flashes they've shown while minimizing mistakes that are so common with the position.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The bookends of Jefferson and Clayton.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Do you agree: Franks, Reese, and Heggie?

Well I would put it this way:

1. Any QB must have a break out season. It need not be Franks, but one of the QBs must.

2. Reese must be who he seemed to be when Davis was hurt last year.

3. The OL must be better. It was better last year and it must continue improvement.

So my view is less individual than positional.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
1. A QB other than LDR must step-up and at least be a consistent game manager. This could be Franks, a Franks-Toney combo, Trask, Zaire, whomever. Just not LDR.

2. Khari Clark. This guy needs to be rock solid in the DL center. Occupy offensive linemen to free up linebackers and be a force that demands attention.

3. Dre Massey. He needs to bring some pop to the return game and another speedster to the receiving corps.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The bookends of Jefferson and Clayton.
Clayton played with the walkons and didnt do anything notable that I saw. RJ Raymond was clearly the best player on that DL. I dont expect much. At best, he is still waay too light to be anything but a 3rd down only end.

My top 3 would be two backup DTs and a backup inside LB. Pick whomever you want but we will need them to give us quality minutes bc they will be on the field a bunch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.