4* QB Joe Milton

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I do 2....Del-Rio is a$$ :lol: If I we're betting on it I would say yes...hopefully we land Milton because I think he would start day one.

Doubt it. Milton looks good. SEC ready? Yeah, no. If Del Rio starts next year and Mac is here for a 4th season then there's zero chance he stops starting a 3 year starter in his SR year. NO way. You'd need to fire Mac and Nuss to finally get rid of Del Rio.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Hope i'm wrong...but i truly believe he or Del-Rio will start against Michigan. After seeing Franks Panic (multiple times) under pressure (even though he had no chance to get hit) last spring and throw the ball to the defense I doubt he does much at UF. Trask needs more time to develop unfortunately.
That was a year ago. Isn't there some expectation that he's improved since then?

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
That was a year ago. Isn't there some expectation that he's improved since then?
Composure is something that you are born with...not something someone can coach up. We'll see what happens but I'm not getting my hopes up after he went "full Driskel" on us!

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Say we land him, does he start over our 2 freshman, or is he gonna be a backup like Appleby was? Also, does his coming force either Franks or Trask to consider transferring?
Why would either transfer if Zaire came? He's a one and done and they'd have to sit out a year.?. He'll be gone by the time they're eligible at their new school. There's no gain for them... Unless they just view it as a slap in the face for Mac to bring in a transfer. But they're redshirt freshman not juniors or seniors.

I personally don't mind using an open scholly on a transfer for a year. I just hope it's for insurance and an extra arm on the squad.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Does Jake Allen show any future promise or is our next great potential QB still in high school? I really hope your wrong about Del-Rio.

Define promise. Allen has no chance of playing in the NFL except as a career backup. He simply lacks the physical ability to be a quality starter at that level. It doesn't mean he can't be great in college. Look at Shane Matthews, Danny Wuerffel, Aaron Murray, Ty Detmer and so on. He is your classic overachiever. I wish the kid well. I have my doubts though.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Why would either transfer if Zaire came? He's a one and done and they'd have to sit out a year.?. He'll be gone by the time they're eligible at their new school. There's no gain for them... Unless they just view it as a slap in the face for Mac to bring in a transfer. But they're redshirt freshman not juniors or seniors.

I personally don't mind using an open scholly on a transfer for a year. I just hope it's for insurance and an extra arm on the squad.

These days kids transfer for lesser reasons. Hopefully no one will. Think franks would probably be the only threat to transfer though.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Define promise. Allen has no chance of playing in the NFL except as a career backup. He simply lacks the physical ability to be a quality starter at that level. It doesn't mean he can't be great in college. Look at Shane Matthews, Danny Wuerffel, Aaron Murray, Ty Detmer and so on. He is your classic overachiever. I wish the kid well. I have my doubts though.

I don't give a crap what these players do in the NFL. I want them to reach their peak in college and we get the best out of them. So if we get the best out of Jake Allen, and that is him playing like Shane Mathews for a couple years. I'll definitely take that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Doubt it. Milton looks good. SEC ready? Yeah, no.
Is he SEC ready as a junior in HS? Probably not, I agree. Will he be in a year? I hope so.

Unfortunately I agree that Butters plays Zaire and/or Del Rio until he is fired but Im thinking about the next HBC.

Last edited:

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Finally got a chance to watch the kid. Milton, like Franks, has a ton of talent. My only complaint is the same as with Franks. Don't these high school coaches know anything about mechanics? Do they not care? Because Milton just arms the ball too damn much leading to major accuracy issues. He'll be red-shirting for sure unless he gets it corrected which is unlikely since his dumba$$ coach hasnt done anything about it so far. This kid is a massive project.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Finally got a chance to watch the kid. Milton, like Franks, has a ton of talent. My only complaint is the same as with Franks. Don't these high school coaches know anything about mechanics? Do they not care? Because Milton just arms the ball too damn much leading to accuracy issues. He'll be red-shirting for sure unless he gets it corrected which is unlikely since his dumba$$ coach hasnt done anything about it so far.
It depends on the HS. Some are very sophisticated, some are not. Franks came out of an unsophisticated HS and received very little "coaching". He should benefit from a year in the system.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
It depends on the HS. Some are very sophisticated, some are not. Franks came out of an unsophisticated HS and received very little "coaching". He should benefit from a year in the system.

I assume his high school isn't sophisticated. The plus is his mechanics aren't a mess like Franks. He is lazy. His mechanics aren't bad when he isn't arming. Still, bad mechanics alone don't explain his horrific completion percentage. I'm interested in watching if that improves his senior year.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Composure is something that you are born with...not something someone can coach up. We'll see what happens but I'm not getting my hopes up after he went "full Driskel" on us!
I don't think Franks has a "composure" problem I think he has an overconfidence problem and an under coached problem.
I just re-watched the spring game.
Ist interception: From the pocket. Corner (Dawson) read the throw and jumped in front of the receiver. Dawson was mentally two steps ahead of Franks. Looked like HS versus college.
2nd interception: Avoids a sack, spins around, and seemingly blindly throws the ball. I think Freddie Swain was supposed to be there but he was off double teaming a corner for some reason.
3rd interception: Receiver and corner (Dawson) running shoulder to shoulder on a slant. Franks should have thrown it behind.

I'm convincing myself that Franks should be the starter and if not then our staff has done a really bad job of getting a talented kid ready to play at this level. He may not be the most accurate but he should be able to be taught when and where to make the right throws.
Trask on the other hand is the one with the "confidence" problem. I think that's tougher to teach because you only gain it from playing and our schedule doesn't favor OTJ confidence training.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016

In my opinion, the phrase "arm like a rocket" is thrown around way too much. However, there is really no other way to describe Milton.

The video is of him throwing at the NFA 7v7 Southeast Regional tournament in Bradenton at IMG Academy. This kid has serious arm strength. Here's the write up from Bud Elliot at SBNation.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...n-recruit-quarterback-florida-orlando-florida

BRADENTON, Fla. — I watched more than 100 of Joe Milton’s throws over the weekend at the NFA 7v7 Southeast Regional tournament, but I only needed to see a couple to conclude that the four-star Orlando (Fla.) Olympia High quarterback has one of the strongest arms in the country.

It’s really something to see in person. One of Milton’s receivers told me his chest hurts after games, and indeed some of his best throws were dropped by receivers who are not as good as the players he will throw to at the next level.

The 6’4.5, 222-pound QB fires rockets all over the field. He can make throws others cannot. That arm, with his size and athleticism, is why some schools are high on him. He has picked up 13 new offers in 2017, including Florida, Michigan, Georgia, Pitt, Tennessee, Miami, and Louisville. Milton is on track to enroll in college for the spring semester, and wants to get his decision out of the way in spring or early summer.

In the clip above, Milton is able to fit this ball in despite the safety standing on the hash mark. From the time Milton winds up to throw, to the time the ball gets there 30 yards away to the opposite hash, the safety takes just two steps and a dive. That is serious arm strength.

I will be interested to see how Milton progresses. Right now, he is like a pitcher with a 100-mile-per-hour fastball who needs to develop his other pitches.

A perfect example came Saturday, when Milton threw a perfect 30-yard out route on a rope to put his team inside the opponent’s 5-yard line. On the next play, he had a wide open receiver 10 feet away and rocketed the ball at him. The throw was on the wrong shoulder and way too hard to catch. It bounced off the receiver’s back shoulder and up into the air for an interception.

Milton ran hot and cold. His offense put on a show against a loaded Houston team but did not score a point against the Florida Fire club.

Milton’s arm also lets him get away with being late on some throws. That luxury will continue in college, but to a lesser extent as defenses are faster.

If Milton can learn to change the speed and arc on his throws to fit the situation and read defenses more quickly, he could be a beast at the college level. But with two consecutive seasons at the high school level under 50 percent completions (46 percent as a junior), that is not a guarantee. In 2013, Deondre Francois had a 49 percent completion rate at Olympia High as well. While Francois improved as a senior, accuracy is still a major issue for him at the college level.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hope i'm wrong...but i truly believe he or Del-Rio will start against Michigan. After seeing Franks Panic (multiple times) under pressure (even though he had no chance to get hit) last spring and throw the ball to the defense I doubt he does much at UF. Trask needs more time to develop unfortunately.

Last spring? Really?

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

In my opinion, the phrase "arm like a rocket" is thrown around way too much. However, there is really no other way to describe Milton.

The video is of him throwing at the NFA 7v7 Southeast Regional tournament in Bradenton at IMG Academy. This kid has serious arm strength. Here's the write up from Bud Elliot at SBNation.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...n-recruit-quarterback-florida-orlando-florida

BRADENTON, Fla. — I watched more than 100 of Joe Milton’s throws over the weekend at the NFA 7v7 Southeast Regional tournament, but I only needed to see a couple to conclude that the four-star Orlando (Fla.) Olympia High quarterback has one of the strongest arms in the country.

It’s really something to see in person. One of Milton’s receivers told me his chest hurts after games, and indeed some of his best throws were dropped by receivers who are not as good as the players he will throw to at the next level.

The 6’4.5, 222-pound QB fires rockets all over the field. He can make throws others cannot. That arm, with his size and athleticism, is why some schools are high on him. He has picked up 13 new offers in 2017, including Florida, Michigan, Georgia, Pitt, Tennessee, Miami, and Louisville. Milton is on track to enroll in college for the spring semester, and wants to get his decision out of the way in spring or early summer.

In the clip above, Milton is able to fit this ball in despite the safety standing on the hash mark. From the time Milton winds up to throw, to the time the ball gets there 30 yards away to the opposite hash, the safety takes just two steps and a dive. That is serious arm strength.

I will be interested to see how Milton progresses. Right now, he is like a pitcher with a 100-mile-per-hour fastball who needs to develop his other pitches.

A perfect example came Saturday, when Milton threw a perfect 30-yard out route on a rope to put his team inside the opponent’s 5-yard line. On the next play, he had a wide open receiver 10 feet away and rocketed the ball at him. The throw was on the wrong shoulder and way too hard to catch. It bounced off the receiver’s back shoulder and up into the air for an interception.

Milton ran hot and cold. His offense put on a show against a loaded Houston team but did not score a point against the Florida Fire club.

Milton’s arm also lets him get away with being late on some throws. That luxury will continue in college, but to a lesser extent as defenses are faster.

If Milton can learn to change the speed and arc on his throws to fit the situation and read defenses more quickly, he could be a beast at the college level. But with two consecutive seasons at the high school level under 50 percent completions (46 percent as a junior), that is not a guarantee. In 2013, Deondre Francois had a 49 percent completion rate at Olympia High as well. While Francois improved as a senior, accuracy is still a major issue for him at the college level.

How does he compare to this guy though?

IMG_4115.PNG

Can he throw it over them mountains?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.