49ers starting LB retires after 1 season

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
49ers are going back to their early 2000 playing days. Maybe win 5 games a season.

Can't fault the guy for wanting to get out of the sport. If he truly feels it is too dangerous to risk his health for millions of dollars, then I respect his decision.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's an incredibly smart decision

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n193034 said:
It's an incredibly smart decision

I am not sure how smart the decision is just because they can't even show how much damage an average player takes in the sport and how much of that damage is permanent.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;193035 said:
I am not sure how smart the decision is just because they can't even show how much damage an average player takes in the sport and how much of that damage is permanent.

I think there's empirical evidence that the sport has an issue with concussions. If you are a young person who finds their health much more important than their paycheck then it's a well informed and thought out decision.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I respect this greatly. Every individual is different in how their body reacts to hits, how they play, etc. My only issue might be if a player got a large bonus to sign then did not play out his contract without any issues, a bonus return would fix this.

Playing through a concussion is a mistake, especially today when support for not playing is normal.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n193037 said:
I think there's empirical evidence that the sport has an issue with concussions. If you are a young person who finds their health much more important than their paycheck then it's a well informed and thought out decision.

Yes, there is evidence that there is an issue, just not how severe the issue is. I do think it is a smarter decision to put your health over money.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n193038 said:
I respect this greatly. Every individual is different in how their body reacts to hits, how they play, etc. My only issue might be if a player got a large bonus to sign then did not play out his contract without any issues, a bonus return would fix this.

Playing through a concussion is a mistake, especially today when support for not playing is normal.

The team will be able to get bonus money back if they choose to do so being he didn't fulfill his full contract. Just depends if they choose that route.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
He had a very promising career, so for him to retire his concerns were obviously legit. Will the NFL see this more and more in the future?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If any of them had half a brain, they'd all play about 4-6 years and then retire filthy rich and still be in decent physical shape so they could enjoy the rest of their lives fully.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n193126 said:
He had a very promising career, so for him to retire his concerns were obviously legit. Will the NFL see this more and more in the future?
I think we will see more of this. I don't think it will necessarily be an epidemic but this will be more common imo

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
Stories like this will put a premium on staying in college for 4 years to get your degree.

And that's something that I think everybody can love!

except Law

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jand3k;n193161 said:
Stories like this will put a premium on staying in college for 4 years to get your degree.

Either that, or get out early so you have an extra year of getting paid.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
Well that's always been an option.

However, if they had even one concussion in college and then get only one in the NFL then they'll wish they had their degree to fall back on.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jand3k;n193167 said:
Well that's always been an option.

However, if they had even one concussion in college and then get only one in the NFL then they'll wish they had their degree to fall back on.

You are not looking through the eyes of an athlete who could make millions. They are thinking different. Get money now, worry about future later.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n193128 said:
If any of them had half a brain, they'd all play about 4-6 years and then retire filthy rich and still be in decent physical shape so they could enjoy the rest of their lives fully.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I've had a few concussions from soccer and martial arts. My last came playing basketball last year when a guy hit me in the temple with the palm of his hand. Took me 6 months before all my symptoms were gone. I don't blame these guys one bit for giving up football if they have had a history of concussions or even if they haven't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.