A contrarian view of our new hire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murph265

May 30, 2017
Good morning fellow chatterers. Judging by the propensity of negative comments about our new Head Coach, the world is about to end as far as Gator football is concerned. First, I am glad (ecstatic really) that we didn't get Kelly. No one with character issues should ever be a Gator. Second, Frost wasn't coming here; Nebraska had him at the start. We weren't going to hire Saban either. Dan Mullen is a good coach; he won a Mississippi State for goodness sake. He developed Tebow. He develop Smith. He will win consistently here. Stop whining and count your blessing. Look at 10rc. Look at RKansas. Look at FSU-soon to be jilted by Jimbo. Our AD tried for a "homerun" and whiffed or was rejected. But he had a good backup plan. We have a good coach who will win. Save the criticism for Sundays after the games.
Why can these morons not understand this?

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
I think we're seeing the frustrations of not getting our 1st/2nd choice. Sure, I'm disappointed. But if they didn't want to come, we didn't want the pvssies anyways.

Mullen (and his wife) know the pressure cooker that this job is and wanted to come. So there's that. If we didn't get him then Tenn. was going to, and even pay more.

I don't think we really had a choice at this point.

And didn't we throw a fit about hiring coaches from a lower tier conference and/or not enough coaching experience. I'm actually laughing at the names of unproven coaches being tossed around by some. Oh, the irony.

There were no guarantees that Kelly or Frost would do better than Mullen might.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
OK. I’ve had about a day to process it.

Mullen is light years better than Butters or Shannon.

He’s better than Strong or Taggart.

Kelly and Frost were the 2 alphas that we missed on. And there’s something wrong with Norvell. I don’t know what it is but there is a lot of smoke.

So taking those 3 out - who could have Stricklin hired? The AD went out swinging. It’s not his fault nobody wants to come here. It’s embarrassing that the administration and Foley have damaged our reputation so much. So much – that we had to offer Mullen $7 million a year to even come here.

I think the only reason why programs shy away from Norvell is because he's only in his second year as a head coach and he's in his mid 30's. That's it. If he were older or had more experience as a head coach, more programs would come calling. He's had the most successful season for Memphis in over 50 years. People there love him, he's bringing in the best recruiting classes they've ever had, and he has a fantastic offense. He's the guy I wish they would've turned to. At worst he would do as good as I think Mullen will do at UF, and he would do it at 60% of the price that they are paying Mullen. But I also think he has more upside than Mullen, and I think he'll eventually have more success as a head coach when their careers are said and done.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A realistic view of our new hire

QB dive plays and sideways passing will not win championships. Mullen > butters, but that isn't saying much. Will he win games, yes, can he beat ranked teams and rivals consistently? His record says no.

Chump's leash was too long, butter's was short, Mullen is on a choker
And CraBBY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members