A Heart-Tug Story

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
'cause its off-season I thought I'd do an addendumb true tale of my cousin whom I've told one on before.
Not sports, but since this forum houses my highest quota buddies, I intro it here.

This cousin mixes all the albums for Greg Almond and for 38 Special. Cuz Rodney was working in
his basement recording studio in Atlanta, with another music-man of high-caliber (see the tie-in 38 Special).
Rodney mentioned: "There it is again. I've been getting some odd feelings in my chest lately."
Friend: "Rodney, I insist you let me get you an appointment with my heart doctor."
Friend called him right then that night. 8AM next day Rodney sits in Doc's office, all tests run.
They exchange info, learning about each other.( Not gonna let that info cat out the bag just yet.)
Anyway, this is one of the best heart surgeons in the U.S.

Doc says: "Rodney, I fix hearts. Your heart needs me, needs surgery."
Rodney ... "Well, I've got to fly off to mix an album in a couple of days."
Doc rolls up close, "Rodney, I want you to walk with me across that street to my hospital and let me get
you admitted for bypass surgery first thing tomorrow morning."

Next morning, out to anesthesia Rodney gets his heart fixed. Now this is the kicker = This renown heart
surgeon has always performed surgery while the OR PA-system pipes in "Second Chance" by 38 Special !
>has the line "this heart deserves a second chance". Rodney recorded that. Small world ... when you're big.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
in all seriousness, you guys need to check out Forks over Knives. It'll keep you from having to do the whole bypass surgery bit

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I've witnessed and infused enough drugs on CABG patients. Glad your cuz paused so he could keep going and a special thanks to the friend who pulled the trigger with the MD call.
:cool:

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
excellent documentary.
Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead is a good one too. - it's slow moving, but the info is worth it.
It was alright. The more I've researched things, the whole juicing thing is really only good for supplementing. Smoothies are quite a bit better for you because of fiber. Plant Pure Nation is a good one too. Campbell's son is the focus of this one. It's amazing how we've been lied to about nutrition for all these years.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
in all seriousness, you guys need to check out Forks over Knives. It'll keep you from having to do the whole bypass surgery bit

excellent documentary.
Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead is a good one too. - it's slow moving, but the info is worth it.

It was alright. The more I've researched things, the whole juicing thing is really only good for supplementing. Smoothies are quite a bit better for you because of fiber. Plant Pure Nation is a good one too. Campbell's son is the focus of this one. It's amazing how we've been lied to about nutrition for all these years.

Sooo, alkie you're challenging playztrux to a bet on which o' those documentaries are the better ? and
you're saying he's too chikenspit scared to put his money where his mouth is. Aye? Aye?
[sorry guys, just trying to get my thread to go 5 pages]

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sooo, alkie you're challenging playztrux to a bet on which o' those documentaries are the better ? and
you're saying he's too chikenspit scared to put his money where his mouth is. Aye? Aye?
[sorry guys, just trying to get my thread to go 5 pages]
I think it's funny that he and I watch some of the same documentaries. Not to mention we post some of the best chick pics on here.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I quit eating bread for the past year, lost 20 pounds (I didn't really need to lose weight), and cut my cholesterol in half (I've always had high cholesterol - I'm thin and active, so I figured I could eat what I want). My brother had quad-bypass when he was 52. I'm 51 now, so figured I'd better start watching my heart health. Before going on the no bread diet, I had an electron beam tomography (EBT) scan done that measures calcification of the arteries, and while mine weren't as bad as my brothers, the calcification levels above where they should be for my age.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I quit eating bread for the past year, lost 20 pounds (I didn't really need to lose weight), and cut my cholesterol in half (I've always had high cholesterol - I'm thin and active, so I figured I could eat what I want). My brother had quad-bypass when he was 52. I'm 51 now, so figured I'd better start watching my heart health. Before going on the no bread diet, I had an electron beam tomography (EBT) scan done that measures calcification of the arteries, and while mine weren't as bad as my brothers, the calcification levels above where they should be for my age.
I can get pretty in depth with you about nutrition, if you ever want to talk about it. I had to work on some health issues and as a result put on a lot of weight. Started doing some research and found what works and why. Forks over Knives is perfect for preventing heart disease and reversing it. Bread is not a big deal, and carbs have been raped in our perception of nutrition. Most healthy eating vegans have a cholesterol level below 150. If you do your research you'll learn that it's not uncommon for people to have heart attacks with cholesterol under 200. Carbs should be your primary fuel...like 80% of your calories

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I can get pretty in depth with you about nutrition, if you ever want to talk about it. I had to work on some health issues and as a result put on a lot of weight. Started doing some research and found what works and why. Forks over Knives is perfect for preventing heart disease and reversing it. Bread is not a big deal, and carbs have been raped in our perception of nutrition. Most healthy eating vegans have a cholesterol level below 150. If you do your research you'll learn that it's not uncommon for people to have heart attacks with cholesterol under 200. Carbs should be your primary fuel...like 80% of your calories
Oh, I think I still get plenty of carbs (thanks beer!). But seriously, I haven't given up carbs and eat pretty healthy, especially at home, which is two meals out of the day (my wife kind of insists, she's kind of a fitness nut).

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Oh, I think I still get plenty of carbs (thanks beer!). But seriously, I haven't given up carbs and eat pretty healthy, especially at home, which is two meals out of the day (my wife kind of insists, she's kind of a fitness nut).
good deal, the last thing I was researching are the macros and how your body stores them. Pretty amazing the health problems that can occur from over eating protein, which is what everyone says we need so much of.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
good deal, the last thing I was researching are the macros and how your body stores them. Pretty amazing the health problems that can occur from over eating protein, which is what everyone says we need so much of.

alkie, your posts got me searching. I'm just starting into this now. It is intensively complex, so
take a look at what that massive Human Genome Study has led to in relating diet to genes & disease.
Apparently the "usual suspect" foods actually trigger certain genes to express (activate) health subversive "time-bombs" sittin' in us.

Again, thanks for the kick starter.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
alkie, your posts got me searching. I'm just starting into this now. It is intensively complex, so
take a look at what that massive Human Genome Study has led to in relating diet to genes & disease.
Apparently the "usual suspect" foods actually trigger certain genes to express (activate) health subversive "time-bombs" sittin' in us.

Again, thanks for the kick starter.
Yeah I haven't gotten into all that stuff. My belief is that while we may have triggers and such, you have to activate those triggers. For instance, cancer has a difficult time growing in an alkaline environment. So while I may have some predisposition to certain cancers, my food choices may prolong the process or prevent it entirely. My family history is littered with type 2 diabetes and heart disease, but my blood sugar is low and my cholesterol is dropping fast because of food.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.