Alabama vs. FSU breakdown (from Bama perspective)

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Obviously I am an Alabama fan, but the police need to use a bit of judgment sometimes. The guy was asleep in his car in a parking lot and they hit him with DUI? What were they thinking? Surely any judge would throw that out!

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2017/07/report_new_details_on_alabama.html
Nope, this is the law. I had a buddy arrested for the same thing. And he was asleep in the backseat of his sedan specifically because he'd drank too much and wanted to be responsible about it. He had layed down in the back planning on sleeping there and then driving home in the morn. Cop woke him up and cuffed him about 3am.

I believe this was similar to Dunlap in 09 as well. Wasnt he simply sleeping when they found him and arrested him? Bottom line, if you're too drunk to drive, find someplace other than your car to sleep, or just take a cab or an uber. Not worth the risk.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
LOL, Dunlap was "sleeping" in his car at 13th and University in one of the northbound lanes, I think.

Sleeping usually equals passed out. If the guy had his shoes off and was racked out in the back I doubt there would ever be a problem. If you're up front with the keys in your hand or in the ignition and you're passed out on the steering wheel you're going to get a DUI every single time, except maybe if you're football player in Trailerbama.

Last edited:

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Just a thought but maybe have a little bit of self control, if you even think you're going to get plastered like that, stay your arse at home. Otherwise, don't be a lush in public.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree. You do the right thing in a way and still get busted for DUI. I know in Florida just being in or right outside of the car with the keys is enough for them to charge you with a DUI. You have to hide your keys away from the car and not admit to knowing where they are if you get a cop like that in FL.

They don't get thrown out usually in my area- most are reduced to reckless driving charges when you have a decent lawyer and if you don't you get stuck with a DUI even though you were just sleeping - in my area anyway.
Yeah probably a south Florida thing. I heard the did the first offense, first offense, second offense, second offense, then finally felony third offense on the fifth conviction down there also. We never charge bargained.

I had probably 1000 of those. Never lost one. Several thousand other DUIs. After they put cameras in the cars the win rate went to 100%. Video was SO MUCH BETTER than "he was weaving and crossed the line, had slurred speech" etc testimony.

My chief prosecutor both as a student prosecutor and at my first prosecutor job both had no drop policies.

No one ever walked out of our court with a reckless or with less than 24 hours in jail.

It will depend on the jurisdiction.

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
LOL, Dunlap was "sleeping" in his car at 13th and University in one of the northbound lanes, I think.

Sleeping usually equals passed out. If the guy had his shoes off and was racked out in the back I doubt there would ever be a problem. If you're up front with the keys in your hand or in the ignition and you're passed out on the steering wheel you're going to get a DUI every single time, except maybe if you're football player in Trailerbama.
Just relaying info related to the fact that you dont actually have to be driving, or even awake to get a DUI. Xanax my friend...

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Nope, this is the law. I had a buddy arrested for the same thing. And he was asleep in the backseat of his sedan specifically because he'd drank too much and wanted to be responsible about it. He had layed down in the back planning on sleeping there and then driving home in the morn. Cop woke him up and cuffed him about 3am.

I believe this was similar to Dunlap in 09 as well. Wasnt he simply sleeping when they found him and arrested him? Bottom line, if you're too drunk to drive, find someplace other than your car to sleep, or just take a cab or an uber. Not worth the risk.

I prosecuted lots of DUIs in Florida. The law is "actual physical control". It makes sense. What if there is an accident? The drunk driver is no longer actually driving when the cop arrives. So that's the basis for the expanded definition.

It's kind of a sliding scale, but if your guy was asleep in the back seat, even if he had the keys in his pocket, I'd want to let him go. It would depend, however, on other factors. Where was the car parked? Was it halfway between the bar and his house, or was he still parked in the bar parking lot (meaning he didn't move it after leaving the bar). How long after last call was it? How long had he been sleeping? What did he say? Did he admit to driving after he left the bar?

If he's in the driver's seat and the key is in the ignition or in his pocket, if the car is running or maybe the engine is still hot, then it's definitely a DUI.

Alex.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I prosecuted lots of DUIs in Florida. The law is "actual physical control". It makes sense. What if there is an accident? The drunk driver is no longer actually driving when the cop arrives. So that's the basis for the expanded definition.

It's kind of a sliding scale, but if your guy was asleep in the back seat, even if he had the keys in his pocket, I'd want to let him go. It would depend, however, on other factors. Where was the car parked? Was it halfway between the bar and his house, or was he still parked in the bar parking lot (meaning he didn't move it after leaving the bar). How long after last call was it? How long had he been sleeping? What did he say? Did he admit to driving after he left the bar?

If he's in the driver's seat and the key is in the ignition or in his pocket, if the car is running or maybe the engine is still hot, then it's definitely a DUI.

Alex.
It wasn't in florida, was in commifornia. car was in a parking spot near the bar, he was in backseat in possession of keys sound asleep. was around 3am, dont know how late after last call it was though. I'm not advocating that drunk people be allowed a pass while sleeping at the wheel b/c they stopped/crashed long before cops showed up. Just simply providing some info that indicates its better off to simply stay away from your vehicle if you're drunk, and that goes for someone who isn't going to drive as well.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
It wasn't in florida, was in commifornia. car was in a parking spot near the bar, he was in backseat in possession of keys sound asleep. was around 3am, dont know how late after last call it was though. I'm not advocating that drunk people be allowed a pass while sleeping at the wheel b/c they stopped/crashed long before cops showed up. Just simply providing some info that indicates its better off to simply stay away from your vehicle if you're drunk, and that goes for someone who isn't going to drive as well.

Correct. If you have no other choice, consider locking your keys in the trunk (although with these new cars that don't need a key in the ignition to start, not sure if that would protect you from a DUI either.

Uber it is.

Alex.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hide the keys nearby where no one can see them and tell the cops you gave them to someone but can't remember who because you wanted to make sure you couldn't drive your vehicle.

The general public is under the impression the keys have to be in the ignition or the cop saw you driving for you to get a DUI so they think they are safe sleeping it off in the parking lot. It is pretty crappy for a cop to be waking someone up sleeping to give them a DUI for sleeping drunk in their vehicle if it is off the road etc.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It wasn't in florida, was in commifornia. car was in a parking spot near the bar, he was in backseat in possession of keys sound asleep.
Who are we talking about? Hand? It says he was behind the wheel with keys in ignition.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
Hide the keys nearby where no one can see them and tell the cops you gave them to someone but can't remember who because you wanted to make sure you couldn't drive your vehicle.

The general public is under the impression the keys have to be in the ignition or the cop saw you driving for you to get a DUI so they think they are safe sleeping it off in the parking lot. It is pretty crappy for a cop to be waking someone up sleeping to give them a DUI for sleeping drunk in their vehicle if it is off the road etc.
I totally agree. What would motivate a cop to wake someone up who is sleeping in a vehicle in a parking lot anyway?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
My friend wrapped his car around a light pole in front of a 7/11. Totaled it. Cops found him sitting on the sidewalk outside the 7/11. But they didn't give him a DUI because they said they couldn't prove he was driving. :dunno: It was Daytona Beach so that prolly had bigger things to worry about.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is a good write up on Saban and Meyer winning after losing a bowl game:

Why history shows the college football world won't like Nick Saban and Urban Meyer when they're angry

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/saban-meyer-angry-bowl-loss-2017/

When the preseason Coaches Poll Top 25 was released last week, it didn’t come as much of a surprise. You could see it coming from a mile away.

1. Alabama
  2. Ohio State
Nick Saban and Urban Meyer occupying the top two spots of a preseason poll might seem boring to the average college football fan. After all, they won eight of the past 14 national titles. The assumption is that year in, year out, Meyer and Saban are going to coach, recruit and ultimately win at an elite level.

But what happens after the rare occasion that they lose? I’m not talking about finishing outside the top 10 (which Saban hasn’t done since 2007) or something crazy like that. I’m talking about what happens the year after Meyer and Saban lose a bowl game like they did in 2016.

That’s proven to be a scary sight for the rest of the college football world.

It’s no secret that Meyer and Saban fall into the category of “hating losing more than they enjoy winning.” That mindset probably helped fuel national championship runs, especially after disappointing finishes the year before.

The numbers suggest that to be the case.

Starting with Saban, look at how each of his teams performed the year after losing a bowl game since he started at LSU in 2000:

• 2002 (LSU) — Lose Cotton Bowl
    • 2003 (LSU) — Win National Championship
  • 2008 (Alabama) — Lose Sugar Bowl
    • 2009 (Alabama) — Win National Championship
  • 2013 (Alabama) — Lose Sugar Bowl
    • 2014 (Alabama) — Lose Sugar Bowl (Playoff semifinal)
  • 2014 (Alabama) — Lose Sugar Bowl
    • 2015 (Alabama) — Win National Championship
  • 2016 (Alabama) — Lose National Championship
    • 2017 (Alabama) — TBD
By looking at that, one can see that Saban’s teams won titles after three of their four bowl losses. That didn’t include the title that Saban won in 2011, which was after the Tide finished a measly No. 10 in the Associated Press poll in 2010 (they won the Capital One Bowl).

So yes, it’s not hyperbole to say that Saban comes back stronger after a loss. The same could be said about his buddy, Urban.

Actually, Meyer’s post-bowl loss record is even better than Saban’s. Meyer has only lost three bowl games in 15 years as a head coach.

Here’s how that turned out:

• 2007 (Florida) — Lose Capital One Bowl
    • 2008 (Florida) — Win National Championship
  • 2013 (Ohio State) — Lose Orange Bowl
    • 2014 (Ohio State) — Win National Championship
  • 2016 (Ohio State) — Lose Fiesta Bowl (Playoff semifinal)
    • 2017 (Ohio State) — TBD
Basically, get ready for Meyer and Saban to both win national titles in 2017.

Obviously that can’t happen anymore (who misses when national titles could be claimed?), but it suggests something greater. When the best coaches in the country suffer a season-ending loss, they’re pretty darn good the following year.

Besides just managing the Xs and Os, why is this the case? How do they light that fire?

The amazing thing is that while one might assume such a trend exists, the aforementioned numbers aren’t universally known. Not even the guys in Ohio State’s locker room knew about Meyer’s post-bowl loss marks.

I was at B1G Media Days in Chicago, and I asked Ohio State players about that. It was news to them. Despite the fact that they’re sick of talking about the 31-0 loss to Clemson in the Fiesta Bowl, they weren’t aware of that obvious number. All they knew was that Meyer didn’t brush it off like it was no big deal.

“(Meyer) was very angry after that loss,” Ohio State offensive lineman Billy Price said. “Not like tantrum and flipping out type of angry, but there was a lot of accountability that he took on his behalf, and he’ll publicly say that.”

Notice that word. “Accountability.” Saban uses “process” and “culture of accountability” to describe Alabama’s consistency. He uses it to describe shortcomings, too.

Saban on First Take: "I don't think we had the ownership and accountability down the stretch last year that we should have had."

— Charlie Potter (@Charlie_Potter) July 26, 2017

Saban using the expression "don't wanna waste the failure" = the lessons learned, he hopes, from a L & loss of accountability that led to it

— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) July 12, 2017

“Accountability” is all part of Saban’s process. Usually teams that make it to the College Football Playoff look back on that as a successful season. With Alabama and Ohio State, they talk about 2016 like it was a disappointment.

It’s funny. If you put Alabama and Ohio State players in a room and asked them to speak to the media, you wouldn’t be able to tell them apart.

“Ohio State doesn’t lose 31-0 like that,” Price said. “We had some time off after that, so when I came back and walked into the facility, I learned about a bunch of the changes that have been made. You’ve got to put full faith into Coach Meyer and trust in the process.”

Part of “accountability” is understanding the tough personnel decisions that need to be made after coming up short of a national title. The Lane Kiffin breakup was well-documented, as was Meyer’s decision to essentially gut his entire offensive staff. Those assistants didn’t get free passes despite the fact that they each were integral parts of national title teams in the previous two years.

Those were the heavy-hitting changes Meyer and Saban made after bowl losses. They did other little things, too.

Saban tweaked his approach to better motivate the current generation of college football players. He doesn’t tell them to invest in the team anymore. Saban now preaches the importance of players investing in themselves.

“It’s going to benefit us, too. But the individuals make the team what it is,” Saban said via CoachingSearch.com. “This generation responds a lot better to that, because that’s what they want to know. Why am I doing this? When you say you’re doing it for the team, no, you’re not doing it for the team. You do it for yourself.”

Meyer instituted a new motto that’s along those same lines. In March, Ohio State all got red rubber bracelets that say “ONE STRONG” on one side with “MIND,” “HEART” and “BODY” on the other. “One Strong” motto is all about accountability. That includes be accountability for things like one’s weight, academics and social life.

Will a rubber bracelet be the difference in Ohio State winning a national title? Probably not, but at the very least, it serves as a constant reminder to the standard that’s needed to win a national title.

Meyer and Saban know the recipe for winning championships. When they get more time to step back and look back on the year that was, they see the cracks in the foundation.

Winning can sometimes mask bigger issues. Alabama’s defense rarely had to play a full 60 minutes in the regular season and wore down late in the title game. Ohio State had offensive limitations that weren’t exposed until it ran into a well-prepared defense full of future NFL players.

Making adjustments like that can only really happen in the offseason. That’s what separates Meyer and Saban. They don’t need to change who they are after a disappointing end. They do, however, find new ways to get through to their teams so that the same mistakes aren’t repeated the following year.

Interestingly enough, the only time Meyer and Saban ever suffered bowl losses in the same year was in 2013. The following season, they met in the College Football Playoff semifinal game. Ohio State knocked off top-seeded Alabama in a Sugar Bowl matchup that felt like a national championship.

Meyer and Saban have, of course, never faced off for a national title. Many believe 2017 could be the first time that happens.

Maybe we should all see that coming from a mile away.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I am hoping Bama 45 FSU 17 but probably more like Bama 38 FSU 23

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
FSU starting LB Matthew Thomas is suspended for academics...Hearing he won't be eligible this fall. Now Clown U is going into the Bama game without they're starting C/LB and will have a converted DL playing on the OL ;)

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
FSU starting LB Matthew Thomas is suspended for academics...Hearing he won't be eligible this fall. Now Clown U is going into the Bama game without they're starting C/LB and will have a converted DL playing on the OL ;)
I feel so bad for them.
:snicker:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

The WR (Phillips) was a starter also, right? So this is two projected starters out for the year for them? Yes, my heart is breaking over here!!! :nolerape:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator