All Time Florida Basketball Starting Five

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Really surprised more people don't have Jason Williams as PG I know Wilbekin was a better defender, but I would take Williams overall.

Williams is one of my favorite players of all time. But he could never really play a lick of defense. Williams was just electric with the ball.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
C - Noah
PF - Horford
SF - Brewer
SG - Miller
PG - Green

May be cheating to put Miller at the 2, but I think he could play it. By keeping Brewer in the lineup, he could guard the better of the SF or SG. Green at PG is the only way to go. He was a solid defender, good shooter, really good FT shooter, and the smartest PG we've had. His impact on games went well beyond stats.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I hadn't forgotten about Miller or his extraordinary skills as a passer or perimeter shooter. My choice of Brewer was founded on the feeling that:

a) He was a superior defender. Heck, he was the best defender on the back-to-backs. The '06-'07 teams were arguably one one of the best defensive units of the past 20 or 30 years.
b) His inside-outside game meshed perfectly with Noah and Horford's work in the paint.
c) Miller's defensive play was his soft spot. Loved the guy, but he was anything but a lock-down defender.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Dan Werner, Chris Walker, Jacob Kurtz, Zach Hodskins, and Schuyler MFing RIMMER.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I hadn't forgotten about Miller or his extraordinary skills as a passer or perimeter shooter. My choice of Brewer was founded on the feeling that:

a) He was a superior defender. Heck, he was the best defender on the back-to-backs. The '06-'07 teams were arguably one one of the best defensive units of the past 20 or 30 years.
b) His inside-outside game meshed perfectly with Noah and Horford's work in the paint.
c) Miller's defensive play was his soft spot. Loved the guy, but he was anything but a lock-down defender.

Remember all the talk about UCLA defense leading up to the 2006 championship game? No one talked about UF's D.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Agreed, Matt Bonner should get an honorable mention somewhere

When I was going to school, Bonner and I would ride the same bus line to school.

He was super nice, always said hi to the bus driver. He was also really smart, didn't he graduate with a 3.9 in biochemistry or something really hard.

I think we can all agree that he had more success in the NBA than anticipated.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
When I was going to school, Bonner and I would ride the same bus line to school.

He was super nice, always said hi to the bus driver. He was also really smart, didn't he graduate with a 3.9 in biochemistry or something really hard.

I think we can all agree that he had more success in the NBA than anticipated.
Once he was a pro he was too cheap to buy a car

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
No love for Dwayne Schintzius, Vernon Maxwell or Jason Williams

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No love for Dwayne Schintzius, Vernon Maxwell or Jason Williams
Vernon was the best all-around SG we've ever had - he got some love above, but maybe his tainted history precludes him?
Schintzius and JWs were not the best at their positions though got some mention above. Dynamic characters for sure, but not the best.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Williams is one of my favorite players of all time. But he could never really play a lick of defense. Williams was just electric with the ball.

He was a liability on the defensive side of the ball, but I would take him of Scottie at PG.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Okay, I know we're trying to pick the best in each position, but I have trouble considering anyone outside of the 05-06 and 06-07 national champs. Their team chemistry was more incredible than the top 3's individual NBA talent.

gatorgrad'02

Aug 10, 2015
The only schools that I think could give us fits would be Michigan State, North Carolina, and maybe Kentucky.

I think Uconn and Duke would Round out the top six.

UF in the top six?

HERESY!

You forgot Kansas. Chamberlain, Pierce, Manning, White, Lovellette, among others.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Really surprised more people don't have Jason Williams as PG I know Wilbekin was a better defender, but I would take Williams overall.
Jason Williams played in the nba for many years. Wilbekein plays in Australia. It's not even close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator