All Time Florida Basketball Starting Five

Gatorup!

Nov 14, 2016
When I was going to school, Bonner and I would ride the same bus line to school.

He was super nice, always said hi to the bus driver. He was also really smart, didn't he graduate with a 3.9 in biochemistry or something really hard.

I think we can all agree that he had more success in the NBA than anticipated.
Being "really smart" can take you a long way.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
My all time starting 5? The 04s... that is it. Period.
Really hard to argue with that. So many great players at their individual positions we could argue about but that was one of the greatest TEAMS to ever play together on the collegiate level. Some great memories from those guys.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
PG Jason Williams
SG Vernon Maxwell
SF Vernon Delancy
PF Al Horford
C Joakim Noah
Vernon Delancy. :lol:
I remember when he broke the backboard on a dunk. It was an early season or preseason game in Tampa if I recall correctly. Students had signs that said "You can't stop VD!"

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jason Williams played in the nba for many years. Wilbekein plays in Australia. It's not even close.

Nor is your comment related well to the OP. Regardless of Williams' wizardry with the ball, a trip to the Final Four as team leader is seen as more important. Besides, Wilbekin played hard on both ends.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
He wouldn't make an all-time best team but I always liked Eugene McDowell. He was very raw, unpolished but powerful. He used to bring the house down with his dunks. Got to know him a bit in the early 80's. Demeanor off the court was very soft spoken. Good dude. Passed away some years ago.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Vernon was the best all-around SG we've ever had - he got some love above, but maybe his tainted history precludes him?
Schintzius and JWs were not the best at their positions though got some mention above. Dynamic characters for sure, but not the best.

I was clerking for a judge in Gainesville, and was present in the courtroom when Vernon's NBA pension was signed over to one of his baby mamas for not paying child support.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
PG Jason Williams
SG Vernon Maxwell
SF Vernon Delancy
PF Al Horford
C Joakim Noah
Vernon was a sky walker.
Andrew Declerq was a big reason we made our first final four. Taurean under rated but was the perfect pg for that great team. btw Barry has not broken Taureans string of FTs yet. Miller has to be out there. I saw Walk play, Almost 20 rpg and 26 pts a game one year. He was player of the year if Kareem is not there. Beal stays 3 years he may be best ever. Calathes same. We had a guard years ago named Tony Miller. Would have been a Humphrey from the three. Saw him score fifty one night. I dont have time right now but will fill in some blanks later

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Nor is your comment related well to the OP. Regardless of Williams' wizardry with the ball, a trip to the Final Four as team leader is seen as more important. Besides, Wilbekin played hard on both ends.
If Jason had played like Scotty he would have been all pro for a few years. Jason had almost Maravich skills. Scotty was just all heart with good skills, He came an eyelash of being the leader of another title team, I think he was injured playing in the final but kept playing through it.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I get that if you are picking a team you need to think about chemistry and guys whose games complement each other's.

I also understand how some might want to put qualifiers on, like playing at least a full season.

But if you're just asking who is the best pg ever to play at Florida there is no question that it's Jason Williams. The dude singlehandedly beat the cats at Rupp. He had 17 assists in a single game. He went on to be the starting pg on an NBA championship team.

I love Wilbekin, but his inability to handle fringe NBA talent Shabazz Napier is a big part of why we lost to uconn twice that year.

gatorgrad'02

Aug 10, 2015
I love Wilbekin, but his inability to handle fringe NBA talent Shabazz Napier is a big part of why we lost to uconn twice that year.

Couldn't agree with you more. Nothing personal against Wilbekin, but he probably single handedly lost us the FF UCONN game with one of the worst games of his college career.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Disagree with both of you. Napier didn't Florida. Florida's putrid shooting beat Florida.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
But if you're just asking who is the best pg ever to play at Florida there is no question that it's Jason Williams. The dude singlehandedly beat the cats at Rupp. He had 17 assists in a single game. He went on to be the starting pg on an NBA championship team.
He had one decent shooter(big white boy that could shoot a three) to kick it out to in that game. AND I think that was a title team for Kentucky. Flat out amazing what the boy did that day.
I get that if you are picking a team you need to think about chemistry and guys whose games complement each other's.
And that was probably the most important part of the 04s and Hump................they didnt care about glory just team success. Hell , Joakim could have been the #1 pick after the UCLA game but stayed. They need hall of fame like the stadium for Noah to be in.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I think the most impressive thing about the 04s was their collective IQ. Each guy understood their role and each others roles perfectly. Even the bench players like "Cliff" Richards and Uncle Moss knew their roles. In fact, Richards and Moss had solid games in the championship games. I remember when they won the team just mobbed Moss in 2006 and Richards in 2007.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Disagree with both of you. Napier didn't Florida. Florida's putrid shooting beat Florida.

Napier definitely hurt us in that Final Four game. I do agree that Scottie was hurt... there was a difference early in the game and then something happened where Scottie lost a step.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Napier definitely hurt us in that Final Four game. I do agree that Scottie was hurt... there was a difference early in the game and then something happened where Scottie lost a step.

If you will recall, Prather suffered a thigh or groin a month or so before the tournament and it made him a lot less explosive. It hurt our scoring and Wilbekin needed to take up the slack. He practically put the team on his back in the tournament. He had some outstanding games shooting. I'm not sure he was hurt for the UConn game, but I do think at minimum he was fatigued from trying to so much on both ends of the floor.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Napier only had about 12 points in that Final Four game, but he had like 6 or 8 assists.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I just read Prather in 78s comment. He was the guy all year. I forgot he had gotten injured earlier. He was not the same guy in the final. Had he and scotty been healthy we have title number three. IF BEAL stays 2 more years I guarantee you we have one more title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.