All Time Florida Basketball Starting Five

gatorgrad'02

Aug 10, 2015
Wilbekin wasn't right for that game. I don't know if it was an injury or fatigue or a combination of the two, but he wasn't right. And with him off and Prather slowed from leg injuries, we couldn't just expect Frazier to carry us through. We had no go-to guy. We threw up bricks all night.

Injury or no injury, he got beat. I don't understand the need to make excuses for him. I know that he doesn't.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Injury or no injury, he got beat. I don't understand the need to make excuses for him. I know that he doesn't.

There's a difference between fact and opinion. Fact is Wilbekin was injured and it impacted his performance. That's not an excuse, it's reality. You inferred he choked. That's neither fact or reality.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I remember him going up for the NY preseason tourney and being impressive. That Miami Sr team was loaded. Their boys didnt make it here, I heard Ramos and Sloan went at it. I wish Edwards had come here. As for Livingston, when the old UT coach showed up to finish Sloans tenure he was like the opposite of Galen Hall taking over for Pell. It was awful. Livingstons knees were bad and the moron tried to run him to death. What was his name?
Don Devoe

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Don Devoe

Aaaaaaargh, Don DeVoe. We'd been having so much fun, and then this guy gets into the conversation.

Don DeVoe was such a turrble hire ... even under the circumstances ... that I had to Google to confirm which A.D. had hired him. My suspicion/faint memory was right, it was Bill Arnsbarger. Arnsbarger later did better by hiring SOS and Lon Kruger, so I *guess* we can't point too many fingers.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Aaaaaaargh, Don DeVoe. We'd been having so much fun, and then this guy gets into the conversation.

Don DeVoe was such a turrble hire ... even under the circumstances ... that I had to Google to confirm which A.D. had hired him. My suspicion/faint memory was right, it was Bill Arnsbarger. Arnsbarger later did better by hiring SOS and Lon Kruger, so I *guess* we can't point too many fingers.
hqdefault.jpg

I'm pretty sure Schintzius quit the team after they brought this moron in to replace the ousted Sloan. :headslap:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
There's a difference between fact and opinion. Fact is Wilbekin was injured and it impacted his performance. That's not an excuse, it's reality. You inferred he choked. That's neither fact or reality.
You gdmand right. That boy played at a high level all year. They set the record for most wins in a row and was the first gator team to go undefeated in the SEC, AND HE was the PG and leader of that team. He got them to the final game with his leadership and usually guarding the other teams best guard. He was injured and it seriously effected his play. That aint an excuse but a fact and to think less of him or call him out is just Bllsh#t

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The biggest disappointment we've ever had was Orien Green. Dude was a straight Baller.

Great length, speed, and insane athleticism. He just couldn't put it together upstairs. So much talent never brought to fruition.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The biggest disappointment we've ever had was Orien Green. Dude was a straight Baller.

Great length, speed, and insane athleticism. He just couldn't put it together upstairs. So much talent never brought to fruition.

As long as we're talking about players that DON'T belong on the list, I've got a blast from the past for you:

The Thin Finn, Martti Kuisma

and

The Norwegian Collegian, Svein Dyrkolbotn

Lon Kreuger was a Scandinavian recruiting MACHINE baby!

Alex.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
To add about that 2013-2014 team, I'll always have fond memories of that season partially due to the win streak as Insti mentioned and partially because it was the first year my son showed an active interest in the games. The kid knew every player and was especially attached to Will Yeguette and Scottie. To the point where he would wear his socks high and wanted a mohawk to emulate them. He even got a chance to go to one of their practices and got an official game ball and signed poster. The players were all great with him, I even have a video of freshman Kasey Hill blocking my son's attempt at a layup :lol:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
To add about that 2013-2014 team, I'll always have fond memories of that season partially due to the win streak as Insti mentioned and partially because it was the first year my son showed an active interest in the games. The kid knew every player and was especially attached to Will Yeguette and Scottie. To the point where he would wear his socks high and wanted a mohawk to emulate them. He even got a chance to go to one of their practices and got an official game ball and signed poster. The players were all great with him, I even have a video of freshman Kasey Hill blocking my son's attempt at a layup :lol:

Will was a great kid.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Will was a great kid.
And I loved the way he played the game. My son plays now and I always remind him that Will impacted the game in a lot of ways other than scoring and if he (my boy) puts in that kind of effort on defense and rebounding, the rest of it will come

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm late I know. Just want young & old Gators to know about ~ '67 Gator Great Neal Walk :

1) Freshmen ineligible to play. So Neal's first year (6'10" soph) he averaged 11.5 pts & 8.2 rbs.
2) And led UF to a 21-4 season. (IMHO, this shows how superior a really talented center makes a team.)
3) Career vs UK = Walk averaged 24.7 pts & 22.5 rbs. Playing against UK/NBA great Dan Issel.
4) led nation in rebounding his junior year.
5) Walk was UF's 1st AA basketball player. Finished 3 yrs with 1,600 points.
6) UF career average = 20.8 pts & 15.3 rbs.
7) 2nd team AA '67-'68 at ave of 26.5 ppg & 19.8 rbs.
8) 3rd team AA '68-69 at ave of 24 ppg & 19.8 rbs.
9) Still holds UF all-time record for rebounds at 1,181 and career scoring 20.8.??
10) Walk got #2 in the NBA draft because a guy named Lew Alcindor got 1st. (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar)
11) In a '72 game vs Jabbar (center v center) Walk scored 42.
12) in '75-'76 Walk shared playing time with teammate Phil Jackson.
13) Neal Walk is in the Jewish Sports Hall of Fame.

1982 a tumor on his spine compromised his coordination. After surgery Walk lost the use of both legs. A couple of years later President G.W. Bush draped Neal's neck with the medal for Wheelchair Basketball Athlete of the Year.
On one of his last awards gatherings, Neal Walk 6'10" unable to stand, a quiet modest man of few words, spoke: "I'm very satisfied with the life I've lived. I've had tremendous personal success and a great education at the university of Florida." - Neal Walk died Oct. 4, 2015 age 67, much too young.
bilde

Last edited:

gatorgrad'02

Aug 10, 2015

I never he said he choked. Now you're just making stuff up.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I'm late I know. Just want young & old Gators to know about ~ '67 Gator Great Neal Walk :

1) Freshmen ineligible to play. So Neal's first year (6'10" soph) he averaged 11.5 pts & 8.2 rbs.
2) And led UF to a 21-4 season. (IMHO, this shows how superior a really talented center makes a team.)
3) Career vs UK = Walk averaged 24.7 pts & 22.5 rbs. Playing against UK/NBA great Dan Issel.
4) led nation in rebounding his junior year.
5) Walk was UF's 1st AA basketball player. Finished 3 yrs with 1,600 points.
6) UF career average = 20.8 pts & 15.3 rbs.
7) 2nd team AA '67-'68 at ave of 26.5 ppg & 19.8 rbs.
8) 3rd team AA '68-69 at ave of 24 ppg & 19.8 rbs.
9) Still holds UF all-time record for rebounds at 1,181 and career scoring 20.8.??
10) Walk got #2 in the NBA draft because a guy named Lew Alcindor got 1st. (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar)
11) In a '72 game vs Jabbar (center v center) Walk scored 42.
12) in '75-'76 Walk shared playing time with teammate Phil Jackson.
13) Neal Walk is in the Jewish Sports Hall of Fame.

1982 a tumor on his spine compromised his coordination. After surgery Walk lost the use of both legs. A couple of years later President G.W. Bush draped Neal's neck with the medal for Wheelchair Basketball Athlete of the Year.
On one of his last awards gatherings, Neal Walk 6'10" unable to stand, a quiet modest man of few words, spoke: "I'm very satisfied with the life I've lived. I've had tremendous personal success and a great education at the university of Florida." - Neal Walk died Oct. 4, 2015 age 67, much too young.
bilde
great synopsis Rogd............he was a great guy and player.............

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Love Noah, but .....
Noah's UF career = 10.5 ppg ....6.4 rbs/g
Walk's UF career = 20.8 ppg ..... 15.3 rbs/g

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Love Noah, but .....
Noah's UF career = 10.5 ppg ....6.4 rbs/g
Walk's UF career = 20.8 ppg ..... 15.3 rbs/g
No doubt his career numbers are better, but

1) How does the defense compare?
2) How does the minutes played and team distribution compare?
2) How does the overall team talent compare?
3) How does the competition compare?
4) What would happen if they switched teams and eras?

I personally don't know much about Walk, so I am interested in the comparison.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
This thread is fantastic. I really never thought it would be three pages long when I started it. Love hearing about all the older Gators.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
And I loved the way he played the game. My son plays now and I always remind him that Will impacted the game in a lot of ways other than scoring and if he (my boy) puts in that kind of effort on defense and rebounding, the rest of it will come
When Billy signed Will a bunch of my fellow rowdy reptiles and I were a bit puzzled and talked about it before a game.

We were wrong to be puzzled. Will was hurt his sophomore year and didn't play in the tournament. I always thought If he was healthy we would have been in the final four. Then his junior year he missed a lot of games due to bone spurs and was never really healthy in the tournament.

Will was quiet type and a class act. He played with passion. He was smart and even for his size he had no issue guarding guys much larger than him. He could guard 3 or even 4 positions if need be. I loved that team that year. 30 wins in a row! Wow. I felt horrible for them when stanky UCONN beat them for the 2nd time that year. They lost to WI and UCONN twice (napier had a horrible no call double dribble that first game plus Scottie was out the last few minutes). Both final four teams.

The 2014 and the 04s. Great teams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb