All-Time Greatest Athlete

Another in my infamous series of unimaginitive offseason threads. And the nominees are:

• Bo Jackson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Muhammad Ali

• Michael Jordan

• Jim Thorpe

• Pele

• Ham Sammich

• Total voters

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
#42 - Jackie Robinson [h=3]Pasadena Junior College[/h] Robinson attended Pasadena Junior College (PJC), where he continued his athletic career by participating in basketball, football, baseball, and track.[SUP][25][/SUP] On the football team, he played quarterback and safety. He was a shortstop and leadoff hitter for the baseball team, and he broke school broad-jump records held by his brother Mack.[SUP][14][/SUP] As at Muir High School, most of Jackie's teammates were white.[SUP][23][/SUP] While playing football at PJC, Robinson suffered a fractured ankle, complications from which would eventually delay his deployment status while in the military.[SUP][26][/SUP][SUP][27][/SUP] In 1938, he was elected to the All-Southland Junior College Team for baseball and selected as the region's Most Valuable Player.[SUP][21][/SUP]
[h=3]UCLA and afterward[/h]

Robinson in his UCLA track uniform

After graduating from PJC in spring 1939,[SUP][34][/SUP] Robinson transferred to UCLA, where he became the school's first athlete to win varsity letters in four sports: baseball, basketball, football, and track.[SUP][35][/SUP][SUP][36][/SUP]
He was one of four black players on the 1939 UCLA Bruins football team; the others were Woody Strode, Kenny Washington, and Ray Bartlett. Washington, Strode, and Robinson made up three of the team's four backfield players.[SUP][37][/SUP]At a time when only a few black students played mainstream college football, this made UCLA college football's most integrated team.[SUP][38][/SUP][SUP][39][/SUP]
In track and field, Robinson won the 1940 NCAA Men's Track and Field Championships in the Long Jump, jumping 24 ft 10 [SUP]1[/SUP]⁄[SUB]4[/SUB] in (7.58 m).[SUP][40][/SUP] Belying his future career, baseball was Robinson's "worst sport" at UCLA; he hit .097 in his only season, although in his first game he went 4-for-4 and twice stole home.[SUP][41][/SUP]
After the government ceased NYA operations, Robinson traveled to Honolulu in fall 1941 to play football for the semi-professional, racially integrated Honolulu Bears.[SUP][44][/SUP][SUP][46][/SUP] After a short season, Robinson returned to California in December 1941 to pursue a career as running back for the Los Angeles Bulldogs of the Pacific Coast Football League.[SUP][47][/SUP] By that time, however, the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor had taken place, drawing the United States intoWorld War II and ending Robinson's nascent football career.[SUP][44]

Y'all know the rest of the story.
[/SUP]

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n200557]

That's simply not true. He was physically dominant over other players.

wilt_chamberlain-by_hallzzz.png
[/QUOTE]

He was 7'2"/ 240 lbs. as a NBA rookie in 1959. He finally got up to 275 lbs. as a Laker at the end of his career. The idea of his benching 600 is ludicrous. They didn't call him the stilt for nothing. He was not pushed around later in his career because of his leg strength and butt and finally did develop some shoulders. But whatever.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going to throw Arnold Palmer in here. The guy was such a bad ass they made a drink after him. You're welcome

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;200569 said:
I'm going to throw Arnold Palmer in here. The guy was such a bad ass they made a drink after him. You're welcome

thanks...

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Law98gator;n200590 said:
If he can lift half of a Terminator, he has to be strong!
The Terminator was 6'2". He looks like an elf in that picture.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Arnold said Wilt lifted him with one hand, and did so quite easily. Anybody saying Wilt was easily pushed around and didn't have upper body strength has no idea what he's talking about.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Odd choices, but of those I'd go with Jim Thorpe followed by Bo Jackson.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n200566 said:
They didn't call him the stilt for nothing.
They called him that because he was tall but mostly because it rhymed.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Why isn't Michael Phelps on the list? Or Messi? Lance Armstrong?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;203248 said:
Why isn't Michael Phelps on the list? Or Messi? Lance Armstrong?

Armstrong and Phelps are great athletes. But when discussing the Greatest athletes I tend to think of someone who could compete with the best athletes in the world in their sports.

Not just the most dominant in their particular sport. Same reason I wouldn't have Sampras or Federer or Usain Bolt in this discussion.

Not to diminish their excellence and dominance.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The parameters I used were versatility (Jackson, Thorpe) and dominance of one sport. You can make an argument for Phelps just as you can make an argument for Pele, who to the soccer world (a big chunk of the globe) probably was the greatest athlete. Armstrong doesn't fly because he cheated.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
[QUOTE='78;n203263]The parameters I used were versatility (Jackson, Thorpe) and dominance of one sport. You can make an argument for Phelps just as you can make an argument for Pele, who to the soccer world (a big chunk of the globe) probably was the greatest athlete. Armstrong doesn't fly because he got caught cheating amongst an entire field of cheaters.[/QUOTE]

FIFY

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.