An offseason basketball thread

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
2018-19 SEC Schedule Released:

http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Floridas-2018-19-SEC-basketball-slate-revealed-52977989

Florida's 2018-19 SEC basketball slate revealed
The SEC has announced the conference basketball matchups for the 2017-18 season.

The SEC has announced the league's conference basketball schedule for 2017-18, and Florida will have a difficult road ahead of it.

The Gators will play their normal annual foes twice during the year -- Georgia, Kentucky and Vanderbilt -- but they will also play two other tough opponents twice.

Alabama, expected to be a preseason Top 25 team, and South Carolina, a Final Four program a year ago, will both make appearances on the schedule twice.

Florida will take road trips to Missouri, Ole Miss, Tennessee and Texas A&M without a return trip. You can view Florida's complete 2018-19 SEC basketball schedule below.

Florida's 2017-18 SEC Matchups

Alabama (x2)
Arkansas
Auburn
Georgia (x2)
Kentucky (x2)
LSU
Mississippi State
@ Missouri
@ Ole Miss
South Carolina (x2)
@ Tennessee
@ Texas A&M
Vanderbilt (x2)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Florida to Meet Clemson in Orange Bowl Classic

http://floridagators.com/news/2017/...a-to-meet-clemson-in-orange-bowl-classic.aspx

Another piece of the Gators' non-conference puzzle is in place with Florida set to meet Clemson in the MetroPCS Orange Bowl Classic on Dec. 16 at the BB&T Center in Sunrise.

This will be UF's 19th appearance in the event, holding a 16-2 record in the OBC including seven straight wins. It will be the second time in four years the Gators face an ACC opponent in Sunrise, defeating Wake Forest 63-50 in the 2014 installment.

Last season, Florida had the most dominant performance in Orange Bowl Classic history with an 87-46 win vs. Charlotte, led by Canyon Barry's 16 points and Devin Robinson's 15 points and nine rebounds.

Florida has split the all-time series with Clemson, 9-9, but this will be the first meeting since 1957. Fifteen of the 18 previous meetings came in 1937 or before.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Very bona fide post Insti, giving projections of playing times.

Thanks and maybe then you will like this or maybe it will certify me as having too much time on my hands. Really this is a way not to write what I am suppose to be writing at this moment.

Now that the roster is set, we can guess rotation, minutes and production next year. I see the rotation as:

PG: Chiozza 30 min, Allen 10 min
SG: Allen 15 min, Hudson 25 min
SF: Stone 16 min, Koulechov 24 min
PF: Hayes 24 min, Stone, 8 min, Egbunu 8 min
C: Egbunu 16 min, Gak 24 min

Now last year or in Hudson's case the year before last this group played 163.1 minutes per game, scored 66.9 points, grabbed 31.6 rebounds per game and had 9 assist per game. For comparison the Gators last year scored 78 points per game, grabbed 37 rebounds per game and had 13 assists per game.

A little straight line projection gets UF this for the up coming season:

Chiozza: 9.7 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 5.1 apg
Allen: 12.2 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.3 apg
Hudson: 10.5 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 0.8 apg
Koulechov: 12.7 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 1.5 apg
Stone: 7.1 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 1.0 apg
Hayes: 8.1 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 0.3 apg
Egbunu: 8.4 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 0.3 apg
Gak: 6.8 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 0 apg

Those stats total in 200 minutes, 75.7 points per game, 39.7 rebounds per game and 10.2 assists per game. My thought are the scoring numbers for Stone might be a bit low and there is where UF might make up some of the points drop off from last year. I think the drop off in assists are what you might expect going from playing two pure PGs to one pure PG.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks and maybe then you will like this or maybe it will certify me as having too much time on my hands. Really this is a way not to write what I am suppose to be writing at this moment.

Now that the roster is set, we can guess rotation, minutes and production next year. I see the rotation as:

Now last year or in Hudson's case the year before last this group played 163.1 minutes per game, scored 66.9 points, grabbed 31.6 rebounds per game and had 9 assist per game. For comparison the Gators last year scored 78 points per game, grabbed 37 rebounds per game and had 13 assists per game.

Those stats total in 200 minutes, 75.7 points per game, 39.7 rebounds per game and 10.2 assists per game. My thought are the scoring numbers for Stone might be a bit low and there is where UF might make up some of the points drop off from last year. I think the drop off in assists are what you might expect going from playing two pure PGs to one pure PG.
Good stuff, Insti!
Though the true and RS freshmen may not get a lot of PT this year, I think we'll need to see minutes from a few of them:
  • Okauru will get some time at PG, probably more as the season moves along. I hope he picks up White's system quickly, as I think we're going to need him. He's the most important piece of the 2017 class (with Cheese gone next year, O's gotta get some game experience at the PG position).
  • Egbunu's not going to be available until mid-January (at best), so Bassett will likely get some minutes in the first half of the season, so we'll get a good look at what he brings to the team.
  • Chase Johnson may get some PT as a true Freshman (he's similar to Stone in style (can step out and shoot the 3), but a little lighter, built more like DRob.
  • Ballard may get some minutes as well, spelling Hudson/Egor (Coach White seems pretty high on Ballard).
  • Stokes likely redshirts as he recovers from an injury.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Offense is not my concern, but rather defense. Stone needs to make some strides on D and I am wondering how Hudson and Egor are as defenders.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014

PG: Chiozza (32 min), Okauru (6 min), Allen (2 min)

SG: Allen (28 min), Hudson (8 min), Ballard (4 min)

SF: Hudson (20 min), Koulechov (15 min), Ballard (5 min)

PF: Stone (20 min), Johnson (10 min), Koulechov (5 min), Hayes (5 min)

C: Hayes (25 min), Gak (10 min), Stokes/Bassett (5 min)

***C (When Egbunu is back): Hayes (18 min), Egbunu (15 min), Gak (7 min)

Pts-

Conservative-

Allen: 15
Hudson: 14
Stone: 10
Koulechov: 8
Chiozza: 8
Hayes: 8
Johnson: 6
Gak: 4
Ballard: 3

I really expect this given the playing time I listed-

Hudson- 18
Allen- 18
Koulechov- 12
Stone- 11
Chiozza- 10
Hayes- 8
Johnson: 4
Ballard: 2

(When Egbunu returns he gets 4 and Gak goes down to a little)

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Offense is not my concern, but rather defense. Stone needs to make some strides on D and I am wondering how Hudson and Egor are as defenders.
The playing time of Egor and Hudson will be more related to defense and rebounding that's for sure. Egor will be changing level of competition big time and Hudson needs to focus more on D like Robinson did this last year and he will be a star

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Good stuff, Insti!
Though the true and RS freshmen may not get a lot of PT this year, I think we'll need to see minutes from a few of them:
  • Okauru will get some time at PG, probably more as the season moves along. I hope he picks up White's system quickly, as I think we're going to need him. He's the most important piece of the 2017 class (with Cheese gone next year, O's gotta get some game experience at the PG position).
  • Egbunu's not going to be available until mid-January (at best), so Bassett will likely get some minutes in the first half of the season, so we'll get a good look at what he brings to the team.
  • Chase Johnson may get some PT as a true Freshman (he's similar to Stone in style (can step out and shoot the 3), but a little lighter, built more like DRob.
  • Ballard may get some minutes as well, spelling Hudson/Egor (Coach White seems pretty high on Ballard).
  • Stokes likely redshirts as he recovers from an injury.

Certainly some will get minutes until Egbunu is ready. I was really trying to get at UF's number when the rotation is shortened in late February and March. Also I am certainly out on a limb with UF playing two centers at time.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
PG: Chiozza (32 min), Okauru (6 min), Allen (2 min)

SG: Allen (28 min), Hudson (8 min), Ballard (4 min)

SF: Hudson (20 min), Koulechov (15 min), Ballard (5 min)

PF: Stone (20 min), Johnson (10 min), Koulechov (5 min), Hayes (5 min)

C: Hayes (25 min), Gak (10 min), Stokes/Bassett (5 min)

***C (When Egbunu is back): Hayes (18 min), Egbunu (15 min), Gak (7 min)

Pts-

Conservative-

Allen: 15
Hudson: 14
Stone: 10
Koulechov: 8
Chiozza: 8
Hayes: 8
Johnson: 6
Ballard: 3

I really expect this given the playing time I listed-

Hudson- 18
Allen- 18
Koulechov- 12
Stone- 11
Chiozza- 10
Hayes- 8
Johnson: 4
Ballard: 2

(When Egbunu returns he gets 4 and Gak goes down to a little)

So if Allen plays 30 minute to score 18 points he would need to average .60 points per minute. Last year he averaged .49 points per minutes. I

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
So if Allen plays 30 minute to score 18 points he would need to average .60 points per minute. Last year he averaged .49 points per minutes. I
I realize its a jump but I beieve that overall the offense will be insanely better next season. 3 pt shooting, mid range, inside, passing, spacing, attacking. All of it. I am about as high on the offense as I can be (might be way unrealistic...but I am). Above all, scoring quality and depth at all positions. Teams won't be able to only focus on stopping Allen. Imo Allen really hasn't had a scoring duo/trio that makes other teams have to choose who to focus on/stay on. Barry and Robinson were good but fell off or disappeared for long stretches last year. Now we could have 4-6 options that have to be guarded and no sagging off Hill to help. This can be a CHAMPIONSHIP level offense that we haven't seen since the 04s!!!

We might not see it much but a lineup of

Chiozza
Allen
Hudson
Koulechov
Hayes

might be one of the best scoring lineups in the nation...if they can defend the 3-5 positions and rebound respectfully...crazy good potential.

With all that said we will have to wait and see how the lineups and play turn out. But man am I pumped for the season to start...and it's only June!!!

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Play D or ride the pine - Coach White knows the importance of solid D (it's carried us the last 2 years).
Would be nice to see an uptick in scoring and I'm with Lee43 that it should be improved this season.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We might not see it much but a lineup of

Chiozza
Allen
Hudson
Koulechov
Hayes

might be one of the best scoring lineups in the nation...if they can defend the 3-5 positions and rebound respectfully...crazy good potential.

With all that said we will have to wait and see how the lineups and play turn out. But man am I pumped for the season to start...and it's only June!!!
That's some small ball for sure, but we went up against some teams last year with similar height. Those 5 would match up really well with most any other team that would like to go small on us.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I am assuming Egor is fine on defense considering the rebounding numbers he put up last year. There's a correlation between rebounding and boards, both require good positioning and effort.

Just my 2 cents here. All I know is I can't wait to see what we look like this year!

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
The different lineups could be a headache for many teams. Not sure if Egor has the size to defend the 4, but why not try?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
PRICE RECAPS HIS UNOFFICIAL
VISIT TO FLORIDA GATORS

http://www.gatorcountry.com/florida...ecaps-his-unofficial-visit-to-florida-gators/

Class of 2019 forward Marvin Price has had a great spring for the DC Blue Devils in the UAA circuit. Price has had a busy June as he has taken three unofficial visits all at schools in the state of Florida. His most recent visit was to Gainesville to check out the Gators. GatorCountry.com caught up with Price to talk about his Florida visit.

“The visit was very nice and I liked it a lot,” Price said referring to his Florida visit. “We looked at the dorms, the offices, and the football and basketball arenas. Also we watched some videos on the team and how they run stuff. We shot some shots and played around a little on the practice court.”

The Florida facilities really impressed Price. Price thought the weight room devoted to the basketball teams was a nice touch.

“I liked the environment a lot because it was different and bigger,” he said. “The facilities are very nice and better than the others I have seen. I also like how they have their own weight room for just boys and girls basketball.”

The nutrition building left a big mark on Price. The vision and energy from the coaching staff was another thing that stood out to him.

“Some things that caught my eye are the buildings and how the athletes are separated,” Price said. “Another thing is the nutrition building. I believe it can help your body and give you what you need. That is what stood out the most and second is the energy that Coach [Mike] White and Coach [Darris] Nichols have and how excited they were about the future of the program. They are trying to do things special and keep pushing forward.”

The visit left Price very impressed. The Gators have made a strong impression on the 2019 forward.

“I really love it and I feel as though they are at the top of my list,” he said. “I am excited to hopefully receive an offer from them after they watch me play at the UAA finals.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator