An offseason basketball thread

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Some of the latest on Emmitt Williams...the recruit I think we need the most (equal to PG imo)

I have long been in favor of a class of:

PG: Devon Dotson
SF: Khavon Moore
PF: Emmitt Williams

I do agree the number one issue is to get a PG with Emmitt Williams a close second.. I certainly expect Dotson or Lomax to be a PG. I am less sure that Weaver, Devoe etc can be PGs at 6'4" tall. It is not impossible, but often such recruits end up as SGs in college.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014

I do agree the number one issue is to get a PG with Emmitt Williams a close second.. I certainly expect Dotson or Lomax to be a PG. I am less sure that Weaver, Devoe etc can be PGs at 6'4" tall. It is not impossible, but often such recruits end up as SGs in college.
I've also heard rumors that Moore has been told he would be able to run some point guard/point forward

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I've also heard rumors that Moore has been told he would be able to run some point guard/point forward

I am still trying to figure out why Little rose so high in the rankings this Spring and in part understand why Moore fell? The measureables seem to favor Moore and the stats this summer seem to be a wash.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I am still trying to figure out why Little rose so high in the rankings this Spring and in part understand why Moore fell? The measureables seem to favor Moore and the stats this summer seem to be a wash.
Not sure...the last I looked, Moore was more of the sure fire super star while Little was more of a good solid player that could develop into good/great starter after a year or so in college.

It seems like it all changed when Little got the attention of Duke and other ACC schools. Once Duke offered it was like him and Moore flipped spots.

Also, the reason came out why we fell off with Little. Apparently, he is now adamant that he wants to play in the ACC....so once that happened we were out by default. Sucks but I think Moore may be the better player all around...(hopefully the better shooter and ball handler for sure)

Last edited:

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Also...not sure how accurate......but there is a thread on gatorcountry insiders (yeah I know they completely suck) noting that Ballard, Gak, and Hudson have all been extremely impressive in the offseason

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Also...not sure how accurate......but there is a thread on gatorcountry insiders (yeah I know they completely suck) noting that Ballard, Gak, and Hudson have all been extremely impressive in the offseason

I expect Gak to make huge progress this off season. I am really hoping Gak and Egbunu can handle the center spot and Hayes can play PF.

I do not know what to make of the Ballard rumors. He was fairly highly thought of in recruiting, but he needs to be a SG and he is probably blocked by Allen and Hudson for at least this season.

As for Hudson, at VaTech he was a not very efficient offensive player and an indifferent defensive player. I hope he is a different player for UF, but after Rosario and Eli Carter I am a show me guy.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I sure hope not. UF can go small as when Koulechov is at SF or big as when Stone is at SF. I hope never to see a guard like Hudson at SF except maybe running out the clock late in games with the lead.
Isn't Hudson 6'6"? Definitely not too small to play the 3.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

You think 6'4" is too tall to play pg? Do you watch much basketball?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'd be happy with any of the pg's on the board duke ,lomax ,devoe and Dotson. I'd really like to get the moore kid. Anybody heard anything about where emmit Williams is leaning? He looks like a Donnell Harvey type on his highlights.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
http://www.gatorcountry.com/florida...-gators-coach-mike-white-the-guard-whisperer/

Florida Gators coach Mike White: The guard whisperer
By
Brent Mechler
-
August 15, 2017

“Anything for Coach White”.
The sentiment popped up on my Facebook messenger within mere seconds of having sent my inquiry.
“Thanks, Speedy,” I replied.
Another new message – from a new author – soon followed.
“I would be happy to give you some insight on Coach White,” it read.
“Thanks, Raheem,” I typed.
And then a third, this time from a name I knew would be familiar to the Gator Nation.
“It would be an honor,” the message read.
“Thanks, David. I am really interested in hearing your perspective,” I responded.
I was interested in hearing the perspectives of each — Kenneth “Speedy” Smith, Raheem Appleby and David Huertas.

Yes, Gator fans- that David Huertas- the one who transferred from Florida to Ole Miss, and in doing so, became an unlikely connection between Florida’s most legendary coach and the one who would enthusiastically and unflinchingly follow the legend.
“When I played at Ole Miss, Coach White was an assistant,” he explained.
The formerly frustrated Gator turned Rebel would prove much than just a connection or mere footnote. Instead, Huertas would become one of many success stories for a coach who has made habit of developing and transforming guards. It’s a “habit” that helped pave Mike White’s path to Gainesville— where he is doing it again!
“The guard whisperer” — it’s a moniker recently attached to White, but those guard transformations preceded his young tenure at Florida and originated even earlier than his record-setting run at Louisiana Tech.
Just ask Poonie Richardson or Walker Russell, both of whom developed into All-League players under White’s tutelage at Jacksonville State – his first coaching stint.
And it’s a track record that hardly whispers.
“I think I’ve been coaching about 15 years or so – and I would say just about every year we’ve had an all-league point guard,” White revealed at his introductory press conference two years ago.
Of course White made his proclamation in a typically humble tone – almost as if blessed to fall into such talent. But those all-league players are quick to flip that script, and eager to credit a beloved coach.
“Coach White just puts you in position to get better and be better, and when you shine – the light never goes away,” said Kenneth Smith. “He makes you see it, and believe all things are possible”.
The Bulldogs point guard was the face White’s uber-aggressive defense and high octane offense at Louisiana Tech—so much so that White went out of his way to mention his former star-player during that initial press conference in Gainesville.
“The last 4 years I had a very special point guard in Speedy Smith,” White relayed. “I owe him a lot of thanks.”
He was special – or would become special under White’s guidance. Smith became arguably the most prolific athlete in school history, setting records for assists and steals, while gathering hardware such as c-USA Player of the Year and All-American Honorable Mention.
But the beginning didn’t forecast the end.
“My development had a rough start, with me starting 0-20 from 3-point,” he recalled. “But he loved my energy, how hard I worked and how tough I was”.
And Smith would in return love his game’s development, and the coach aiding it.
“I always felt comfortable under his wing,” Smith said. “Coach White is the type of coach you feel is a mentor and a brother. He is a players’ coach for sure — his energy and toughness as a coach. And you just always feel better about things when he is around”.
Smith became more than comfortable. He became confident. And that development became drastically “better with coach around”. Smith credits White for instilling the confidence and improving his game, both of which sent Smith soaring – soaring under his coach’s wing.
“His best attribute is making you feel like you are the greatest. Whatever it is, he builds you up,” Smith recalled. “If you are good at something—he makes you feel great about it. But you’ve gotta play defense”.
The latter part would seem like a non sequitur, but only to those not familiar with White or his philosophy. And while aggressive defense is certainly a cornerstone of White’s approach, it is another attribute Smith points to as key to his own success and that of other guards who have blossomed under ‘The Guard Whisper’.
“I think one of his best philosophies is the freedom you have,” Smith said. “If you can get 30 points- get it. If you want to gamble on a steal – get it. Just do it all with confidence and energy”.
It is a philosophy White has openly acknowledged, but it doesn’t lack accountability – especially for his guards.
“I am a little harder on point guards than the other four spots…. a little more demanding,” White admitted. “I also know how crucial it is to have good point guard play, and I have been around really good ones”.
He has been around really good guards – and will be. This year, explosive, 1st team All-Conference guard Kevaughn Allen will again pair with rapidly ascending Chris Chiozza. The former’s 35-point outburst set stage for the latter’s magical moment – a jaw-dropping buzzer-beater than propelled Florida past Wisconsin and into the Elite 8.
And if you like foreshadowing, you will love Chiozza’s comments a mere week before the shot heard ‘round Gator Nation.
“Coach is always giving me confidence— telling me to shoot the ball more, just giving me freedom to do what I want to do,” he said. “You can’t really ask for much more in a coach than to give you the freedom to do what you do and play your game. My confidence is through the roof right now”.
Sound familiar?
Allen, Chiozza and fellow point-guard Kasey Hill all enjoyed career years last season – another trend familiar to White’s guards.
Poonie Richardson.
Walker Russell.
Chris Warren.
Todd Abernethy.
Terrico White.
Clarence Sanders.
Speedy Smith.
Alex Hamilton.
Raheem Appleby.
Kasey Hill.
Kevaughn Allen.
Chris Chiozza.
The list goes on, and will assuredly continue to do so – as White’s reputation has attracted attention of top national prospects. And though his rapid ascension may be surprising to those initially unfamiliar with Mike White, it is not unexpected to those who know him best. Not to his guards!
“I’m not surprised at all by his early success,” Smith said of White’s rapid reinvigoration of the Florida program. “You can definitely see his imprint on his guys”.
And White’s imprint, as past and present players will attest, is both on and off the court.
White demands ‘his guys’ be men.
“Off the court he is big on taking care of your business, whether that be getting your study hall hours or being to class on time,” said former Louisiana Tech guard, Raheem Appleby. “His number one rule was ‘Be a man’”.
It is a rule White has not been shy about.
“Off the floor we are going to do the things we are supposed to do. We are going to act like men,” he proclaimed at his Gator media debut.
As for Appleby, he was certainly a man on the court- amassing 1,770 career points, gathering countless accolades (yes, including All-Conference Honors) and contributing to program record win totals.
But White was ‘the man’ to Appleby … a family man who served as family, while being a friend to his own.
“I’m not sure what the best part of his coaching is, but my favorite part was the relationship he had with us,” Appleby fondly recalled. “He gets to know you and your family – and vice-versa. That meant a lot to me in my four years”.
David Huertas also found comfort in White’s family approach, and like others, credited his coach with changing his game and mentality.
“He helped me a lot,” said Huertas, a guard who couldn’t find footing at Florida, but excelled as an eventual All-Conference player (noticing a trend?) at Ole Miss. “My ball handling, my shooting… but especially mentally on and off the court”.
His experiences— whether the values of his upbringing or the lessons of a four-year guard in the SEC—White employs them all.
“He always teaches- do the right thing- because somebody is always watching,” interjected Appleby. “And on the court I think having been a point guard himself . . . helped him help us with on-court development”.
Huertas seconded those thoughts.
“He was a guard at Ole Miss for 4 years, and so he knows how to push his players to their maximum potential…. Because of his experiences as a player,” he echoed.
And such experience extends beyond White and into his coaching staff. Assistants Jordan Mincy and Darris Nichols enjoyed stellar careers as point guards at Kent State and West Virginia, respectively.
So perhaps “guard whisperers” is more appropriate. Smith thinks so.
“His assistants are the best,” he said. “Coach May, Coach Mincy and Coach Nichols are guys who will make you better”.
And like Huertas, he too is referring to both on and off the court.
“I look up to those guys,” he revealed. “They are role models to me”.
And not-so-coincidentally, Huertas too found a role model in his assistant coach – Coach White.
“He helped me stay disciplined off the court, with my family and was a good example of how to be a family man,” he said. “It is something I’m sure all of his players learned from him”.
Huertas is right.
White’s players have learned, are learning and will learn — from the guard whisperer.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
You think 6'4" is too tall to play pg? Do you watch much basketball?

What I know is that the vast vast vast majority of 6'4" guards who come to college end up playing SG not PG and that includes plenty listed as PGs coming out of high school. Certainly there are a few big PG in college and the NBA at any point in time. Heck I watched Louis Dunbar play on TV. I just know that any PG about about 6'2" is a show me proposition.

Steve Carlson

Jan 10, 2017
Moore isn't much a shooter. The Moore slide and little rise came from the AAU circuit. While more struggled to find consistency shooting, little's game really came together. AAU circuits at the end of the players junior years really shape the rankings.
It's tough to compete with basketball schools at Florida (even with our success on the court) but this class still has the potential to be REALLY good, though nothing is for sure with any of the top targets.
Another name to look out for is Noah Locke (may have been mentioned previously) great scorer. Similar high school player to kevaughn Allen. Our staff would love to have him.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I expect Gak to make huge progress this off season. I am really hoping Gak and Egbunu can handle the center spot and Hayes can play PF.

I do not know what to make of the Ballard rumors. He was fairly highly thought of in recruiting, but he needs to be a SG and he is probably blocked by Allen and Hudson for at least this season.

As for Hudson, at VaTech he was a not very efficient offensive player and an indifferent defensive player. I hope he is a different player for UF, but after Rosario and Eli Carter I am a show me guy.

Certainly wouldn't hurt to have Ballard in the mix. We may need Allen to play some PG and if Hudson needs a rest having Ballard come in at the SG position for 10-12 minutes a game could be beneficial.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Moore isn't much a shooter. The Moore slide and little rise came from the AAU circuit. While more struggled to find consistency shooting, little's game really came together. AAU circuits at the end of the players junior years really shape the rankings.
It's tough to compete with basketball schools at Florida (even with our success on the court) but this class still has the potential to be REALLY good, though nothing is for sure with any of the top targets.
Another name to look out for is Noah Locke (may have been mentioned previously) great scorer. Similar high school player to kevaughn Allen. Our staff would love to have him.

Well Little shot 14 of 49 or 28.6% from the arc this summer according to Adidas AAU stats. So to my mind he is not much of a shooter either. Of course I see Moore was 1 of 14 from the arc in 7 EYBL games so your point is well taken. I also searched Moore and I suspect his so so wing span of 6'8.5" also hurt his stock.

Locke shot really well in EYBL this summer. He shot 51.8% inside the arc, 73.9% from the FT line and 45.4% from the arc in 21 games. He took 112 shots inside the arc, 46 FTs and 141 shots outside the arc which along with his 34 assists to 36 turnovers gives him a very 2 guard profile. So I would agree he looks on paper a lot like Allen.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Certainly wouldn't hurt to have Ballard in the mix. We may need Allen to play some PG and if Hudson needs a rest having Ballard come in at the SG position for 10-12 minutes a game could be beneficial.

I see the 80 minutes split between the 3 "established" players in Chiozza, Allen and Hudson with little left for anyone else. Also as others have said to me, IF HE CAN PLAY AT ALL UF needs to get Okauru some minutes as he may well have to carry a big part of the ball handling load in a year.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I just looked Locke up and watched some of his videos. He really does look a lot like Allen. Seems to have a better shooting stroke and form than Allen. Looks like he could be our best 3pt shooter and mid range shooter right now. Personally, he reminds me of a cross between Lee Humphrey and Kevaughn Allen. He is good off the dribble but is excellent using screens to get open and using on ball screens to create space for his shot.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
With a somewhat experienced squad I would hope younger players get some time early in the season, after all you have to develop players and depth as well. If you earn your time that should be great.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well Little shot 14 of 49 or 28.6% from the arc this summer according to Adidas AAU stats. So to my mind he is not much of a shooter either. Of course I see Moore was 1 of 14 from the arc in 7 EYBL games so your point is well taken. I also searched Moore and I suspect his so so wing span of 6'8.5" also hurt his stock.

Locke shot really well in EYBL this summer. He shot 51.8% inside the arc, 73.9% from the FT line and 45.4% from the arc in 21 games. He took 112 shots inside the arc, 46 FTs and 141 shots outside the arc which along with his 34 assists to 36 turnovers gives him a very 2 guard profile. So I would agree he looks on paper a lot like Allen.
Lockes tape definitely says 2 guard aswell. What was lockes ppg?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator