An offseason basketball thread

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hoops Scoop
Barry signs to play in Finland
Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 1:49 by Kevin Brockway

After not latching on to an NBA team, former Florida forward Canyon Barry will continue his pro basketball career overseas.

Barry announced on his Instagram account that he’s signed to play for the Vilpas Vikings in based in Salo, Finland. The team is one of 11 in the top-level pro league in Finland (called the Korisliiga) and is part of the FIBA Europe Confederation.

As a grad transfer from College of Charleston, Barry helped the lead the Gators to their fifth Elite Eight appearance in the last seven seasons, earning SEC sixth man of the year honors and finishing second on the Gators in scoring at 11.4 points. Barry shot 88.3 percent from the free-throw line shooting underhanded like his father, Basketball Hall of Famer Rick Barry.

Barry was on the New York Knicks summer league roster but opted to sign overseas rather than try to earn an invite with an NBA team in training camp.

In Finland, Barry will face former Gator forward Alex Murphy, who signed with Joenssuun Kataja of the Finnish Korisliiga pro league over the summer. Murphy transferred from Florida to Northeastern, where he averaged 14 ppg and 5.8 rpg.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
It has been a long time since UF made it past mid August without a commitment in basketball. I just checked back the last few years and one year UF had a commitment in the middle of August, but in most other recent years UF had a commitment in the spring or earlier.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It has been a long time since UF made it past mid August without a commitment in basketball. I just checked back the last few years and one year UF had a commitment in the middle of August, but in most other recent years UF had a commitment in the spring or earlier.
Yeah seems kinda late to me too.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The hope is that the staff isn't settling for 3 stars - we're going after some elite players and have significant interest from a few - could end up being a stellar class in the end. Patience, grasshoppers.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The hope is that the staff isn't settling for 3 stars - we're going after some elite players and have significant interest from a few - could end up being a stellar class in the end. Patience, grasshoppers.

Last year UF had commitments from 2 quality recruits by the middle of August. Actually the year that UF had the latest first commitment other than this year was the class of Hester, Bassett and I think Gak was in it too.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah i think we're after some elite guys and playing the waiting game. Dotson and moore are probably waiting for certain offers from other schools. Doesn't bother me. Looks like everyone we're after (except little)is still on the board.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Probably has little impact either way...just wanting to face better competition is my guess

He was at IMG, I think. He followed his AAU coach to Oak Ridge, but I would think he might not face the competition there he would have at IMG, but I don't know.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
He was at IMG, I think. He followed his AAU coach to Oak Ridge, but I would think he might not face the competition there he would have at IMG, but I don't know.
Could be. I was thinking Oak Ridge usually played more teams from around the country... I could be way wrong though

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
CBS has a column entitled, "The biggest question for each team in our Top 25 (and 1) college basketball rankings"

Here is the UF part:

[URL='https://www.cbssports.com/writers/reid-forgrave/']Reid Forgrave[/URL] of CBS Sports said:

GATORS

Can a talented, experienced backcourt propel Florida to the top of the SEC?

This season is John Calipari's least experienced team at Kentucky (and that's saying something). Florida will be the opposite, especially in the backcourt with senior Chris Chiozza and junior KeVaughn Allenan, an athletic scorer who ought to lead this team in scoring. Egor Koulechov, a graduate transfer from Rice, will provide some much-needed competence from 3-point land. We'll see if Florida's experience can upend Kentucky's talent in a competitive SEC.

Here is the entire article:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...our-top-25-and-1-college-basketball-rankings/

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Visits announced so far:

25 August: Aaron Nesmith
15 September: Khavon Moore
16 September: Elijah Weaver
30 September: Noah Locke
7 October: Michael Devoe
14 October: Ryan Boyce, Colin Castleton

I can not find visit information on Emmitt Williams. Devon Dotson has visited Zona and eliminated them and has an August visit up coming to KU and no visit scheduled for UF yet that I could find. Darius Day did get an offer and has an official visit scheduled to UNC, but still no UF offer from what I can tell. I could not find visit any visit information for David Duke or Alex Lomax Jr. though I think UF is still in the mix for both.

Last edited:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
T-gator insists Day is not coming to UF because UF disrespected him (whatever that means to a kid..who knows). If this is the case, move on and focus on Williams.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
T-gator insists Day is not coming to UF because UF disrespected him (whatever that means to a kid..who knows). If this is the case, move on and focus on Williams.

Despite panic from some recruiting first fans, I have usually found these late offer/visit issues to be an issue of the player providing UF with the information UF needs to make them an offer or invite them on an official visit. I did notice this line:

Days is undecided on where he will take his fifth and final official visit to.

in the article on his visit to UNC, I also take this as some hint that maybe UF thinks they will get Moore and Williams and not have room for Days.

My pecking order of open slots for UF are:

1. PG
2. PF
3. SF
4. then maybe in the spring a SG if someone leaves for any reason positive or negative.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like this guy might be a backup plan if we miss on Williams.
http://scout.com/college/basketball...n-is-down-to-eight-and-sets-three-v-106386249

Scout has him as a 4* PF and he's supposedly a rising player based off his summer performances - he's got offers from some good schools.
http://thespun.com/college-hoops/colin-castleton-2018-4-star-pf-names-final-8

This article says he's a stretch-4 with the ability to shoot from the perimeter.
https://illinois.rivals.com/news/two-visits-set-for-castleton

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Looks like this guy might be a backup plan if we miss on Williams.
http://scout.com/college/basketball...n-is-down-to-eight-and-sets-three-v-106386249

Scout has him as a 4* PF and he's supposedly a rising player based off his summer performances - he's got offers from some good schools.
http://thespun.com/college-hoops/colin-castleton-2018-4-star-pf-names-final-8

This article says he's a stretch-4 with the ability to shoot from the perimeter.
https://illinois.rivals.com/news/two-visits-set-for-castleton

Thanks this is quite interesting. I wondered if Ryan Boyce is also a backup plan guy too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.