An offseason basketball thread

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Some people over at swamp gas are saying they think we end up with Dotson. Would be huge for coach white.

Also, he's visiting September 8th. Good sign that he's still visiting after just recently going to Kansas.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Some people over at swamp gas are saying they think we end up with Dotson. Would be huge for coach white.

Also, he's visiting September 8th. Good sign that he's still visiting after just recently going to Kansas.

Very good that he is still visiting after his KU visit.

I will say PG highlight tapes are among the most useless ones. With a PG you really need to see longer stretches of play to see if he is making good decisions.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Very good that he is still visiting after his KU visit.

I will say PG highlight tapes are among the most useless ones. With a PG you really need to see longer stretches of play to see if he is making good decisions.
All of those tapes can be misleading so i agree. I did watch him play a few weeks ago on tv and he looked pretty legit though. Jump shot is the biggest hole in his game at the moment but his shots not terrible.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

Yes please....

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Yes please....

The irony is as skeptical as I am of 6'4" PGs, I would love one of the big PGs if they really are a PG and can handle the ball against the pressure you get in the SEC where many team like have really athletic guards you heard little about in recruiting.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
White should recruit in Senegal. They are genetically tall -- many over 7'. Tako Fall is 7'6" and plays for UCF. He only started playing basketball about 3 years before getting into college. He is learning rapidly, but a guy like that doesn't have to leave the floor to block shots (so not foul-prone).

Taco's 7 year old brother is 5'9" already, and you know, following his brother, he's taken up basketball earlier. Their "adopted" home is about an hour's drive to Gainesville.

One trouble with folks from Senegal is that they are super passive, polite, so have to have it drilled in them to be vigorously competitive -- you know, banging for the rebounds, not get pushed around. Both these boys grew up playing soccer so they run the court better than typical 7-footers. The # of 7'-plus guys from Senegal is increasing in CBB presence. Taco/UCF played against another 7'6" center (from Senegal) from some California college. They're called the Anteaters?? Anyway, they got close to identical stats.

Senegal & Taco's un-little brother is worth looking into.... and other great wingspans from Senegal.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Here are a couple of excerpts from the CBSsports candid coaches series, Which Assistant Is Most Likely To Be A Very Successful Head Coach:

Reid Forgrave said:
T5. Darris Nichols Florida 3.7 percent

Reid Forgrave said:
On Florida's Darris Nichols ...

• "He's a good person. He's a point guard, so he understands the game. Talking to him and watching him operate on the road, talking about recruiting and basketball, he's got a good temperament to be good recruiter and a good coach as far as coaching the game."
Here is the link:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...st-likely-to-be-a-very-successful-head-coach/

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Nesmith has completed his official visit to UF. Here is an excerpt:

One thing that stood out to Nesmith on his visit was the Florida Gator fans. Nesmith got to take in the volleyball team beating #1 ranked Texas. The passion from the Gator faithful was something that caught his attention. Learning more about the academics at Florida also was a great experience for him.

Nesmith has not set up anymore visits at the moment. He is now taking some time to think about his options and what the next step is that he wants to take. Nesmith narrowed his list to seven earlier this month. The list consists of Florida, Vanderbilt, Harvard, South Carolina, Georgetown, Virginia Tech, and Yale.

Here is the link to the entire article:

http://www.gatorcountry.com/florida...-enjoys-his-official-visit-to-florida-gators/

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
White really likes the 6'5" SG/SF type. This kid is another backup plan - I like the way White is recruiting and staying on some of the lesser rated guys just in case we don't land some of the big fish.
Hes also spotted some guys early. Wouldn't be suprised if he could play.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Thanks for posting this. Been pretty busy lately at work and life and have had limited time to check the threads. Probably a good thing given the outcome Saturday.
Dotson can finish, unlike Kasey. He'd be an awesome pickup for Coach White.
Go Gators!
:chomp:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
It appears if the game is on, Dotson will visit UF this weekend:

Evan Daniels at Scout said:
The next step in his recruitment is getting a visit on the books to Florida. The current plan is to visit the Gators this coming weekend, but it’s not finalized due to the weather and the possibility of a second hurricane.

“I’m trying to set one up this weekend if the weather holds up,” Dotson said.

The Gators have been pursuing Dotson since he was a freshman and that’s one of the many reasons he’s strongly considering Mike White’s team.

“Just the relationship,” he said when asked what he liked about Florida. “They’ve been on me since I was 15 or 14 so we have a relationship and trust in the coaching staff. They have been reaching out to me and my entire family, so yeah the relationship.”

Outside of Clemson, Kansas and Florida, Dotson is also considering UCLA and Maryland and he plans to meet with them this week.

“I have in-home visits next week with UCLA, Maryland, Florida, and Kansas,” he said.

Here is a link to the rest:

http://scout.com/college/basketball...sees-Clemson-reworks-visit-schedule-107274204

Interestingly, a guy at Maryland Insider guess in the 247 Chrystal Ball feature that Dotson would pick UF.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Basketball visitors this weekend:

Kevin Brockway Gatorsports said:
Overall, it will be a busy recruiting weekend for the Gators. In addition to Dotson, Florida will be hosting four-star point guard prospect Elijah Weaver and four-star 6-11 forward/center Colin Castleton on official visits. Castleton is from Daytona Beach, while Weaver, an Albany, Ga., native, plays at Oldsmar Christian School in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area.

Click below for the whole article:

http://www.gatorsports.com/2017/09/dotson-visiting-uf-weekend/

Oddly 247 is showing Khavon Moore at UF tomorrow, but he is not mentioned by Brockway:

http://florida.247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/Visits

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.