An offseason basketball thread

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
This is an easy one for me. Mike has more than half the battle won b/c for the most part his kids play very hard, which is a big positive. All Mike needs is to understand that he is not going to have the offensive player that can get his own shot and a good shot at that in desperate times, so he needs to involve everyone, and you can't do that when the team stands around as much as Mike's offenses do especially against zone defenses. Early in the game today the announcer said and I quote "the Gators are just too stagnant on offense". Such a familiar refrain from the entire season. If Mike will just seek some help and come up with both a new motion offense, a better zone offense, and better set plays, he could be a very good coach for a very long time, b/c the fact the guys play hard is a large part of the game,

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Who the **** is buzz Peterson?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I know the NBA highly values "upside" but I am curious as to whether Robinson would be drafted? Are his skills sufficient that a team would take him based on potential or as Insti said, do his skills better translate to the NBA? I just don't see him making a pro roster at this stage.
Robinson is long and bouncy but stiff as a board and disapears in a physical game. He'll never sniff a nba roster. He's also gone too. Does anyone think white is gonna push someone out or pull an offer?

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I think he means Buzz Williams, Buzz Peterson hasn't coached since 2014 when UNCW fired him, the former UNC player coached at Appy State, Tulsa, and Tennessee as well.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm concerned with the number of threads with the title ending in thread.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Stone and Hayes REALLY NEED to bulk up in the offseason. I'm not sure Stone or Hester stick around. They might transfer if Robinson stays. Robinson NOT an NBA player at all really. Maybe D League or overseas. He won't get drafted I don't think.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I am in a show me mode on Hudson. At Va Tech Husdon was a player whose FR and Soph years were:

FR: 16.7 min, 6.9 points, 2.0 rebs, 1.2 assists, 1.6 TOs, 57% on 2s, 28.3% on 3s, 64.4% on FTs, 98.7 offensive rating, 109.0 defensive rating, 16 PER, 20.2 TO%
Soph: 20.0 min, 8.4 points, 2.3 rebs, 0.6 assist, 1.4 TOs, 42.8% on 2s, 34.6% on 3s, 68% on FTs, 96.1 offensive rating, 106.1 defensive rating, 11.8 PER, 14.3 TO%

and you can go on with mediocre advanced stats. I am not sure what this guy is good at. His stats make him appear to be a selfish 2 guard who would be a disaster at UF. No UF player had a defensive rating of over 100 this year. Only Hill and Gak had offensive ratings under 100.

Buzz Williams is a decent coach, if he could not find a role for this guy who I doubt is as good as Allen and Hester, I am not sure what he will do for UF. I like Stone much better at the 3 next year.

Thanks for the thorough explanation "Insti". I'm sure you caught my ignorance about White not giving Hudson some playing time to get him ready for next season. I forgot he was a "sit-out" transfer -- dunce cap for me.

So now, we have Hudson having real-game time under his belt. Also, he's had this year's practice familiarity to be "White-ready" immediately for next year. I hope Hester develops into all 'round ball handler and sharpshooter. Next year maybe we'll be a very efficient high %FG team, scoring over 85/G and be a devil of a defensive team. I think that there are multiple of possibilities containing surprises that can produce a better team than this one.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for the thorough explanation "Insti". I'm sure you caught my ignorance about White not giving Hudson some playing time to get him ready for next season. I forgot he was a "sit-out" transfer -- dunce cap for me.

So now, we have Hudson having real-game time under his belt. Also, he's had this year's practice familiarity to be "White-ready" immediately for next year. I hope Hester develops into all 'round ball handler and sharpshooter. Next year maybe we'll be a very efficient high %FG team, scoring over 85/G and be a devil of a defensive team. I think that there are multiple of possibilities containing surprises that can produce a better team than this one.
Yeah rog, i think you're right. The ceiling is pretty high next season. I'd say we're atleast gonna be a tournament team. Hudson is gonna be a 4th year junior, we've got a quite a bit of experienced players returning. Hopefully egbunu bounces back quickly and is one of em. You have to really like the core of players we have coming back next year. I think chiozza is in for a big year next year.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Stone and Hayes REALLY NEED to bulk up in the offseason. I'm not sure Stone or Hester stick around. They might transfer if Robinson stays. Robinson NOT an NBA player at all really. Maybe D League or overseas. He won't get drafted I don't think.
Well, they're both freshmen and Hester doesn't play DRob's position, so I don't think there's even the slightest chance Stone or Hester transfer if DRob stays. As Lee pointed out, I think our only real transfer potential at this point is Bassett, and we really don't know anything about him or how he's been performing in practices.
Other than that, I agree with your DRob statements - he's too inconsistent from game to game, gets too frustrated when someone can D him up, and doesn't possess the ability to create his own shot on a consistent basis. He's going to have a hard time cracking in NBA roster at this point in his development.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hey, my Thinking out of the box & 4, says our Gorjak Gak goes home and starts working on his brother about us making the Elite Eight, with the nidus of the team coming back even more determined... so much so that his brother changes his commit from Miami to us Gators.? Now, how far did the Canes make it in the Big Dance? So get to persuading Deng, Gorjok. Brag on White, laud loud the team camaraderie, mention the lower mean temperature in Gainesville. Pump the existence of two basket cases of the same mind. GoGak Gators.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Hey, my Thinking out of the box & 4, says our Gorjak Gak goes home and starts working on his brother about us making the Elite Eight, with the nidus of the team coming back even more determined... so much so that his brother changes his commit from Miami to us Gators.? Now, how far did the Canes make it in the Big Dance? So get to persuading Deng, Gorjok. Brag on White, laud loud the team camaraderie, mention the lower mean temperature in Gainesville. Pump the existence of two basket cases of the same mind. GoGak Gators.

Gak better learn how to shoot FTs, (perhaps Barry could help him) and develop some good offensive moves like we saw from our last two opponents. The team needs a way to break down zone defenses, and probably some better options to press opponents. I understand we are already over the limit so more players might not be so good either, unless we are going to be unethical.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

Hayes needs to bulk up, Stone not so much. Stone needs to work on his ball handling and consistency.

And yea, Robinson has no impact on either IMO.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I'm not sure Stone or Hester stick around.

Stone has already redshirted so a transfer costs him a year of playing time. He would be better off taking courses like crazy, playing his 2nd year, 3rd year in school at UF and then seeing where he is. I would be shocked if he transfers.

The Gak brother may have rightly figure out that there is only a spot for one true center at a time in a college basketball program. Certainly stranger things have happened, but I can see why the younger opted to play close to but not with the elder.

As Lee pointed out, I think our only real transfer potential at this point is Bassett, and we really don't know anything about him or how he's been performing in practices..

Bassett might be great for all we know. With Robinson, Leon, Barry, Stone, Egbunu, Hayes, Gak and Rimmer, it was a crowed situation for a big at UF this year. Probably 5 of those guys are gone. I doubt very much that Bassett leaves without playing. Guessing Bassett leaves without playing is like guessing Hudson washes out somehow. That happened with a transfer a few years back but it does not happen with most transfers.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gak needs to work on everything. The good news is that he actually improved game to game in the little bit of playing time he got in the last 2-3 weeks. I really like what I saw, he may have a real upside

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I read on a few sites today the mention that Bassett is possibly taking a medical hardship ending his D1 career...his injury hasn't healed as expected is the reason.

Not sure if this has any basis in reality or just rumor...thought I would let you all know what I have read in multiple places

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator