An offseason basketball thread

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Well as a sophomore Taco won his conference's Defensive Player of the Year? L'il Brother is our target and like Taco he may idolize star soccer players and be running all over local soccer fields. Brother may be playing both; does Soccer season overlap any real sports season?
What do you mean "real sports". :wobble:

Depends on the state. Some boys soccer is fall and some is spring. I'm not sure what season Florida soccer is played.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What do you mean "real sports". :wobble:

Depends on the state. Some boys soccer is fall and some is spring. I'm not sure what season Florida soccer is played.
Soccer is year-round in Seattle, just like Ultimate. But baseball is only in the spring and football only in the fall. :scratchchin:
My 7-year-old can shoot and dribble pretty good, but we haven't tried organized basketball yet - I would assume winter only. :lol:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I think Dotson is all in on Kansas. Might as well try someone else, but it doesn't hurt to shoot for the moon. Any news on Bassett? People were thinking he might call it a career due to injury?

Has there been enough time for reaction to KU taking the entire Memphis roster! Seriously KU is also taking a transfer PG who will be eligible in a year with 3 years left to play.

Edit: It turns out the Cal PG was a Memphis commitment at one time. He scored 12.2 points per game as a true frosh:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4066345/charlie-moore

I can not believe Dotson will be all in on KU once this sinks in.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
You could be right, Midwest, but from videos of real games:
1) He runs (covers) the full court well. His legs churn just like a 6'5" player.
2) The times his own team fast breaks, Taco arrives in perfect timing to rebound the missed shot & slam it home.
3) He rarely brings an offensive rebound downward but when ball-flight makes him catch it low, his grip is iron.
4) He has an 8-foot wingspan and when needed he can drive from a forward's position, avoid contact & still dunk it.
5) His size 22 shoes keep him planted & agile. He has good footwork and coordination.
6) He will get much better over the next 2 years and beyond.
7) He needs Canyon Barry to tutor him on the Granny-style FT shooting. He's like 46% now.
8) Oh, and he's unmoveable at the post. He's 300 lbs as a sophomore.
9) He's only been playing BB 5 years.
10) His jump only needs to be 6", so that lessens the chance of injuries.
11) His coach is Johnny Dawkins (2016-17 his first year) not exactly a slow-go guy.

I just learned that his younger brother is living in Cincinnati. If Bro is 7' you can bet U of Cincy will go for him. And they play "big time" BB up there.

Taco quote: "No more passive. Now I have to play like a big man, be aggressive on the post, and ask for the ball and work on my hook shot."

Sorry to go on so, but after checking, 6'10"-6'11" are most always the best bet towards best help for the team.
I'd just like to see a Gator hand way above defenders calling for the ball.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Oh, somebody should make sure Egor meets UF tennis player, Anna Danelina from Moscow. Their hometowns are only 609 miles apart. So best to phone her at UF. Her BB game attendance might make him play fiercer.?

Koulechov is really from Israel.

RiceOwls.com said:
[Koulechov] Spent two seasons at The Sagemont School in Weston, Fla., but grew up in Israel from the age of seven..

http://www.riceowls.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/egor_koulechov_903682.html

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think Dotson is all in on Kansas. Might as well try someone else, but it doesn't hurt to shoot for the moon. Any news on Bassett? People were thinking he might call it a career due to injury?
Kansas just took a transfer drom cal that isn't eligible until 2018-19. At some point i hope we can get back to landing this caliber of player.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar said:

Oh, somebody should make sure Egor meets UF tennis player, Anna Danelina from Moscow. Their hometowns are only 609 miles apart. So best to phone her at UF. Her BB game attendance might make him play fiercer.?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Insti said:

RiceOwls.com said:
[Koulechov] Spent two seasons at The Sagemont School in Weston, Fla., but grew up in Israel from the age of seven..
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know me Insti, I jumped on the fact that he was born in Volgograd, Russia, on the Volga River. But being a Jew it's a good thing he transferred out. I presented my "false-news" post in red, like red-faced. Thanks for the correct info.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
rogdochar said:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Insti said:

RiceOwls.com said:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know me Insti, I jumped on the fact that he was born in Volgograd, Russia, on the Volga River. But being a Jew it's a good thing he transferred out. I presented my "false-news" post in red, like red-faced. Thanks for the correct info.

It's not really "false-news." He was born in Russia and so he might have something in common with Ms. Danilina. Still you wonder if or how much Russian he speaks?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Kansas just took a transfer drom cal that isn't eligible until 2018-19. At some point i hope we can get back to landing this caliber of player.

And to further answer our questions, the most recent of the "chrystal balls" of Dotson to KU was in August 2016.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I read where the NBA has published its "qualified list" i.e. notified them by letter before deadline, of college kids testing the 'drift'. Of course, DRob was on it, but so was Egbunu. If he's not gonna be fit enough to play CBB for the first half of our season, what value can he be given in the NBA Draft??

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I read where the NBA has published its "qualified list" i.e. notified them by letter before deadline, of college kids testing the 'drift'. Of course, DRob was on it, but so was Egbunu. If he's not gonna be fit enough to play CBB for the first half of our season, what value can he be given in the NBA Draft??

Poor John Egbunu. He had options. He could play at UF next season. He could enter the NBA draft next season and play for money in the NBA or Europe which is closer to his homeland. He was graduating so he could have played elsewhere as a graduate transfer. Then he gets hurt, really what is he to do? What is his value in the NBA draft or to an overseas pro team? What is his value as a graduate transfer? What is his value even to UF's program for half a season? His was possibly the most unfortunate injury that any player has ever had.

As an aside, I was looking at Egbunu's numbers and noticed the name Alex Murphy. I clicked on his name and his stats at Northeastern this year were: 29 games played (out of 31), 32.5 minutes per game, 14.0 points per game, 5.8 rebounds per game. Good season but the shocker to me is that he shot 38.1% from outside the arc! His FT shooting was still suspect, but that is by far the best he has ever shot on 3s in college or international play.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
A few Robinson tidbits from the NBA combine:

si.com said:
Devin Robinson owns one of the better blends of strength and explosiveness in the class, despite just 3.2% body fat.

draftexpress.com said:
Devin Robinson has great size for a small forward at 6'8.25 in shoes with a 7'0.75 wingspan and a 190-pound frame ...

draftexpress.com said:
Florida Junior Robinson showed off his athleticism posting the third best max vertical leap at 41.5 (98th percentile historically), as well as the third best no step vertical at 35.5 (98th percentile historically). The only players in our database over 6'7 to post vertical leaps like that in both categories and go onto play in the NBA are Vince Carter, Glenn Robinson III, Ronald Dupree and Alex Poythress. Another interesting note on the Gator alum is that he posted the 7th lowest body fat percentage in our database history at 3.2%.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
He is quite the specimen. Hope he can make it translate to the NBA.

Well after I posted this I found what scouts can nit pick at. His speed times were very slow. I don't know what to think of that? One of them was the slowest of the group that tested.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well after I posted this I found what scouts can nit pick at. His speed times were very slow. I don't know what to think of that? One of them was the slowest of the group that tested.
He is big for his position, but it's still odd.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That doesn't surprise me. Ive always thought he lacks the quickness to be a 3 and D player in the league.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Odd? I've been saying it forever. Do you have me on ignore? I thought we were boys?
Yes, given his freak athleticism, I think it's odd that he's slow. Can leap out of the gym, just can't leap forward.
I don't have anybody on ignore, I just have short- and long-term memory loss. :bandit:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.