Game Thread And here I always thought Drew Brees was a pretty smart guy

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/drew-brees-filed-multi-million-170351689.html

"Via TMZ, Brees has sued Vahid Moradi of CJ Charles Jewelry in San Diego. Brees claims that he has purchased roughly $15 million worth of jewelry, and that it was independently appraised at being worth $9 million less than the price Brees paid for the items.

One of the items — a diamond ring for which Brees paid $8.18 million — allegedly appraised for only $3.75 million."

First of all, $15 million on jewelry?!?! Does he think he's a rapper or something? And anyone who buys jewelry expecting it to appreciate or even hold the value you paid for it is an ignoramus.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Athlete who takes hits to the head loses money due to bad decisions. More at 11. He'll be broke like the majority of athletes 10 years after he's done. Smh.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Athlete who takes hits to the head loses money due to bad decisions. More at 11. He'll be broke like the majority of athletes 10 years after he's done. Smh.
Athletes have more money than they would if they weren't playing sports, loses money due to bad decisions.

I'd venture to say the Aikman took way more hits to the head than Brees and he's worth millions. Discuss

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
If you drop $15MM on jewelry, wouldn't you get it appraised 1st. At least for insurance purposes.

If he paid $7MM more than it was worth, that's on him. Freedom to contract, freedom to be a moron.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/drew-brees-filed-multi-million-170351689.html

"Via TMZ, Brees has sued Vahid Moradi of CJ Charles Jewelry in San Diego. Brees claims that he has purchased roughly $15 million worth of jewelry, and that it was independently appraised at being worth $9 million less than the price Brees paid for the items.

One of the items — a diamond ring for which Brees paid $8.18 million — allegedly appraised for only $3.75 million."

First of all, $15 million on jewelry?!?! Does he think he's a rapper or something? And anyone who buys jewelry expecting it to appreciate or even hold the value you paid for it is an ignoramus.

Article also referenced claim he is having “cash flow problems”. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised but WTF?!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Article also referenced claim he is having “cash flow problems”. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised but WTF?!

he was going to retire after his last contract, just signed a new one. Could be a reason why.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He just signed a 2-year, $50 million extension, and took less money in New Orleans than he could have with another team. I find it hard to believe he's strapped.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
He just signed a 2-year, $50 million extension, and took less money in New Orleans than he could have with another team. I find it hard to believe he's strapped.

I do, too, but then again, $15 million dollars, AFTER TAX, is a lot of money to blow on jewelry. I think Brees has about $180m in career earnings. If he netted half that after taxes and agent fees and he has pissed away money on other frivolous items I can see how it could add up pretty quickly and crimp the cash flow.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
After publicly airing the fact that he has that much jewelry, hope he is smart enough to keep a safe deposit box...

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
“From 2010 to 2016, Moradi advised [my wife and I] to allocate funds into an alternative asset class of investment grade diamonds and told us that he would use his connections and expertise to acquire them on our behalf at or below market value,” Brees said, via TMZ. “In an effort to diversify our investment portfolio, we trusted Moradi and invested. Moradi assured us he was being compensated by the sellers for any investment grade diamonds he acquired on our behalf.

“In the end it was all a scam. After thinking long and hard, Brittany and I decided to take this lawsuit on in part because we fear we are not the only ones Moradi has misled and defrauded.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-says-san-diego-jeweler-pulled-a-scam-on-him/

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
“From 2010 to 2016, Moradi advised [my wife and I] to allocate funds into an alternative asset class of investment grade diamonds and told us that he would use his connections and expertise to acquire them on our behalf at or below market value,” Brees said, via TMZ. “In an effort to diversify our investment portfolio, we trusted Moradi and invested. Moradi assured us he was being compensated by the sellers for any investment grade diamonds he acquired on our behalf.

“In the end it was all a scam. After thinking long and hard, Brittany and I decided to take this lawsuit on in part because we fear we are not the only ones Moradi has misled and defrauded.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-says-san-diego-jeweler-pulled-a-scam-on-him/

Ox, it’s obvious to me that Brees is the perfect sucker, er, candidate for some life insurance. Now that you’re in the insurance biz, you should solicit him to buy excessive amounts of VUL or whole life policies. Put him with a junk rated carrier, you can probably get commissions of 120% of first year premiums. You’ll be very rich very quickly. :lmao2:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Ox is now in insurance?? :eek3: :backout:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
If you drop $15MM on jewelry, wouldn't you get it appraised 1st. At least for insurance purposes.

If he paid $7MM more than it was worth, that's on him. Freedom to contract, freedom to be a moron.

Yes. If it's a family friend or a referral...hell no without confirmation. Mrs Rex's family has a "family jeweler in St Thomas"...uhhhh...no thank you. I have much shadier guys here in Tampa. LOL.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
After publicly airing the fact that he has that much jewelry, hope he is smart enough to keep a safe deposit box...

Yeah but apparently it’s a bunch of J colored, SI2 stuff in12 carat gold settings.

If I’m going to the effort of robbing someone, I’m making sure the score is actually worth it. Just how I was raised.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Athletes have more money than they would if they weren't playing sports, loses money due to bad decisions.

I'd venture to say the Aikman took way more hits to the head than Brees and he's worth millions. Discuss
Hes the exception to the rule:

According to a 2009 Sports Illustratedarticle, 78% of National Football League(NFL) players are either bankrupt or are under financial stress within two years of retirement and an estimated 60% of National Basketball Association (NBA) players go bankrupt within five years after leaving their sport.[1] Originally the statement "60% of NBA players go bankrupt within five years after leaving their sport" was released by a representative of the NBA Players' Association in 2008 [2][3] A Fortunemagazine article states, however, that a working paper from the National Bureau of Economic Research found that the percentage of NFL players who go bankrupt after two years is a much smaller 1.9%, climbing to 15.7% after 12 years.[4]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_finances_of_professional_American_athletes

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Hes the exception to the rule:

According to a 2009 Sports Illustratedarticle, 78% of National Football League(NFL) players are either bankrupt or are under financial stress within two years of retirement and an estimated 60% of National Basketball Association (NBA) players go bankrupt within five years after leaving their sport.[1] Originally the statement "60% of NBA players go bankrupt within five years after leaving their sport" was released by a representative of the NBA Players' Association in 2008 [2][3] A Fortunemagazine article states, however, that a working paper from the National Bureau of Economic Research found that the percentage of NFL players who go bankrupt after two years is a much smaller 1.9%, climbing to 15.7% after 12 years.[4]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_finances_of_professional_American_athletes
So.....the research is inconclusive as to how long or what pct of NFL players are bankrupt after retirement and no correlation with concussions?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

Yeah, I always figured you confirmed the value of something BEFORE you made the purchase. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb