And they use the excuse that the reason ratings are down is because Kaepernic doesn't have a job

Discussion in 'Politics' started by crosscreekcooter, Jan 11, 2018.

1. crosscreekcooter

crosscreekcooter Cunning Linguist
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $395
    Ratings:
    +6,265 / -9
    After lousy regular season, NFL's TV ratings worsen in wild-card playoffs

For anyone thinking fan interest would pick up for the start of the NFL playoffs, you are mistaken. The league's worrying TV ratings slid even further during wild-card weekend.

Overnight ratings for the league's four Saturday-Sunday wild-card playoff matchups collectively fell 11.5 percent compared with the same period last year. That's worse than the 9.7 percent ratings drop for the recently completed 2017 regular season.

The wild-card games were marred by lousy quarterback play (Jaguars-Bills) and bad officiating (Titans-Chiefs). The results weren't pretty, according to the overnight Nielsen ratings compiled by Austin Karp of SportsBusiness Daily. All four games suffered double-digit ratings drops. The details:

— Saints vs. Panthers (Fox Sports): Down 15 percent from last year's comparable Giants-Packers telecast.

— Titans vs. Chiefs (ESPN/ABC): Down 11 percent from last year's Texans-Raiders.

— Falcons vs. Rams (NBC Sports): Down 10 percent from last year's Seahawks-Lions.

— Jaguars vs. Bills (CBS Sports): Down 10 percent from last year's Steelers-Dolphins.

There are a number of factors likely driving the downturn for the country's most popular sport. The #BoycottNFL fans are offended that some players protested during the national anthem, so much so that those fans have chose to not watch telecasts, not show up at stadiums and not buy NFL merchandise. There are also over 200,000 fans who have signed a #NoKaepernickNoNFL petition, vowing to boycott games until a team hires unemployed quarterback Colin Kaepernick.
    :bsflag::bsflag::bsflag:I wonder how many of the Kaepernuts are ticket holders.

Moreover, cord-cutting younger consumers are increasingly watching games via illegal pirated streams vs. broadcast or cable TV. And four teams with big national followings — the Cowboys, Giants, Packers and Raiders — are watching these playoffs from the sidelines.

The Steelers and Patriots are the last two teams in the playoffs with true national fan followings. If they don't deliver in this weekend's divisional round games, the NFL and its TV partners will have even more reason for concern.

• deuce

deuce Mentally Challenged
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $625
      Ratings:
      +1,635 / -65
      I don't care or watch anymore...... The "take a knee" was just the last straw not the only reason.

• Captain Sasquatch

Captain Sasquatch Mr. SQ, the Sashole
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $3,598
        Ratings:
        +12,959 / -269
        None of the games were good matchups. Hell, the AFC should have just canceled the playoffs and had the Pats and Steelers play a best of 3 series to make the Super Bowl.

But I bet a bunch of red hat snowflakes didn’t tune in because a bunch of dark men were protesting during the song that their orange leader doesn’t even know half the words to.

• alcoholica

alcoholica Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,187
          Ratings:
          +8,146 / -262
          Even if he had a job in the NFL, he wouldn't be playing in the playoffs

• deuce

deuce Mentally Challenged
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $625
            Ratings:
            +1,635 / -65
            At least The President of the United States of America stood with his hand over his Heart to Honor the Flag and what it stands for.

That was a nice touch, I thought.

• Ancient Reptile

Ancient Reptile Senior Member

Oxbucks:
            $1,646
            Ratings:
            +2,298 / -125
            You don't want to do this, Squatch. You don't do it well. It just comes over as comedy.

• InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $1,715
              Ratings:
              +2,658 / -182
              I think the millionaires protesting that they are ill treated by society does rub the public wrong and has hurt rating. On the other hand if you total up the populations of the metropolitan statistical areas, MSA, of the teams involved and change games compared a bit you get:

1. Falcons+Rams population 19,100,147 v. Giants+Packers population 20,471,870 population down 6.7%
              2. Titan+Chiefs population 3,969,807 v. Texans+Raiders population 11,106,861 population down 64%
              3. Saints+Panthers population 3,743,197 v. Seahawks+Lions population 8,096,519 population down 54%
              4. Jaguars+Bills population 2,611,016 v. Steelers+Dolphins population 8,408,686 population down 69%
              5. Total 2018 population 29,424,167.00 v. Total 2017 population 48,083,936.00 population down 39%

#7 InstiGATOR1, Jan 12, 2018
              Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
              • AugustaGator

AugustaGator Junior Member
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $2,380
                Ratings:
                +4,694 / -95
                The hats are pink not red. They are really nitted cap with ears.

• Slug

Slug I fcuking hate people.
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $1,499
                  Ratings:
                  +2,560 / -33
                  I don't know all the words either, but I know how many states the country has.

• stephenPE

stephenPE Senior Member
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $686
                    Ratings:
                    +6,557 / -412
                    SAS for the Friday morning guffaw................I am still laughing................you are on fire................

• stephenPE

stephenPE Senior Member
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $686
                      Ratings:
                      +6,557 / -412
                      That was funny but there are 57 states. He was in a state of panic (Mississippi) a state of bliss (Hawaii) as state of confussion (Fla and previous elections) a state of disgust (New Jersey) a state of distrust (Missouri) a state of amusement (Calif) a state of bluster (Texas) and a state of sadness (jawja)

• Slug

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $1,499
                      Ratings:
                      +2,560 / -33
                      Ah yes, the typical coach rebuttal. Well done sir.

• TN G8tr

TN G8tr The "Original" TN G8tr
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $1,115
                      Ratings:
                      +2,670 / -11
                      The NFL better get its crap together and yes it is losing popularity. I have season tickets with the Titans and yes, my interest is down due to these overpaid, high priced, and entitled prima-donnas. Now not all of the players are bad, but it's just how the NFL lets crap go and does not deal with it. I took my son to the Titans/Seahawks game back in Sept. During the Anthem the teams stayed in the tunnel during it. But the young lady that sang the NA, took a knee at the "home of the brave". The barrage of insults and flying debris was plentiful. And yes I was one of those. I have been disinterested in the playoffs. If I can watch I will. But it is not a priority anymore. I love Football and would watch powder puff if it was the only game on. But this is where things with the NFL are at a pitiful point. Goodell has got to go. I have workplace policies that have to be enforced and these players need to be accountable as well. I will give it this much. Kaperdick did pour gasoline on an already slow burning fire that is the current NFL.

• diehardg8r

diehardg8r Junior Member

Oxbucks:
                        $727
                        Ratings:
                        +2,603 / -46
                        There is your weekly HJ from coach SAS. Just in time.

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Piehole stuffed douchebag
                          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                          $17,372
                          Ratings:
                          +41,566 / -1,402
                          Yeah, he is a flamer for sure.

• PastyStoole

PastyStoole Senior Member
                            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $434
                            Ratings:
                            +1,994 / -15
                            One reason people immerse themselves into sports fandom is to escape the ubiquitous shrieking about race and equality that's present in everything from beer commercials to children's movies. While the protests themselves are fairly benign, the flooding of everything surrounding it, ESPN, sports radio, etc., is enough to tune out, stop watching games, and do something else. Hopefully the 11.5% who tuned out spent time with their families or did something more fulfilling than watching the concussion league.

#16 PastyStoole, Jan 12, 2018
                            Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
                            • cover2

cover2 I've grown old
                              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $1,230
                              Ratings:
                              +4,162 / -2
                              Just because we all enjoy freedom of speech doesn't mean we can always use it without repercussions. @PastyStoole makes a good point about some of the reasons fans travel to, watch, and spend their money at sporting events. It's reasonable to assume that when certain sports and their leagues are being over-used as vehicles to further agendas that many of those who support them financially aren't in agreement with, support ($) will begin to dwindle. I am far from an economist, but I am remembering that if a company or organization doesn't cultivate, grow, and maintain the demand for their goods or services, eventually they will be forced to close their doors. This seems to be occurring where the NFL is concerned.

• TheDouglas78

TheDouglas78 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                                $2,165
                                Ratings:
                                +5,361 / -62
                                The NFL is on a three year dip in viewership, some of the reasons are the inaccurate ways to calculated the different ways to stream the games. Over staturation is a huge issue, a decade ago it was just Sunday and Monday.... now there is bad football on Thursdays along with Sunday and Monday. The commissioners office has scheduled events that keep the NFL in the news 12 months out of the year. The small percentage of knucklehead players continue to make bad news, and the good players who do the good things don't make the news. The two sides of the protest have made a slight impact as well (last poll I saw has both sides boycotting at the same rate). Also there are more choices.

The NFL isn't alone in the drop in ratings, NCAA football also took a dive this year and I believe it is a multi-year trend as well. With other options and fan fanaticism not being as it was in the past the regular consumer is becoming more apathetic.

• Captain Sasquatch

Captain Sasquatch Mr. SQ, the Sashole
                                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                  $3,598
                                  Ratings:
                                  +12,959 / -269
                                  Surely someone of your advanced intelligence would realize he was exaggerating for comedic effect, right? Ever use hyperbole or exaggerate to make your point?

• Slug

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                  $1,499
                                  Ratings:
                                  +2,560 / -33
                                  Lol, you keep telling yourself that.