Anonymous coaches dish on Dan Mullen at Florida

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Anonymous coaches dish on Dan Mullen at Florida

https://247sports.com/college/flori...nonymous-coaches-dish-on-Dan-Mullen-118456961

How soon will Florida Football return to prominence under Dan Mullen's new regime? Two opposing coaches, who agreed to be interviewed anonymously inside Lindy’s expansive 2018 SEC preview, said the rubber will meet the road quickly for Florida's leading man if things go south early in Gainesville.

"I don't think Florida is as talented as they've been," one opposing coach said. "I think Dan Mullen did a great job at Mississippi State. But the thing about Florida is, it's a pressure cooker and a seven- or eight-win season in The Swamp will get your a** fired. They don't give a damn what the problems are. You better win."

Accumulating victories wasn't an issue early for Jim McElwain, who took home two SEC East titles, but winning big was, evidenced by two disappointing losses to Alabama in the league championship game that didn't sit well with the fanbase. By the middle of Year 3, Florida was spinning out of control at 3-4 and McElwain had lost the trust of his constituents — both on the field and off — who yanked the cord following a 35-point blowout loss to Georgia in Jacksonville.

Florida sees Mullen as one of its own and put him at the top of the pecking order in the coaching search last season. He went 69–46 over nine seasons at Mississippi State and brought the program its first No. 1 overall ranking during that memorable 2014 campaign.

Breathing new life into an anemic offensive scheme is one of the primary reasons Mullen was such a coveted hire. But one opposing coach isn't sure if Florida's quarterback of the future is currently on the Gators' roster. Feleipe Franks is battling Kyle Trask for this season's starting job with heralded freshman Emory Jones not quite there yet as the program's No. 3.

Jones best fits what Mullen wants to do offensively, but has a long way to go before he's ready to lead.

"I don't know if Mullen can fix the quarterback problem," one opposing coach told Lindy's. "He did a helluva job at State with Dak Prescott and Nick Fitzgerald. I'm not betting against him. He'll get better talent at Florida than he had at Mississippi State. What does that equate to in terms of wins and losses? I don't know.

"Florida fans hope he brings back the production they had when Mullen (as OC at Florida) had Tim Tebow. Since Tebow left, Florida hasn't been worth a crap on offense."

Since leading the SEC in total offense during Tebow's senior season in 2009, the Gators haven't finished higher than 10th in the category. No team in the SEC has scored fewer touchdowns than Florida (63) over the last two years. Vegas oddsmakers share a similar mid-tier view on the Gators, setting the over-under for Florida's win total in 2018 at 7.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Who knows, really. But, it is about winning. I am glad Mullen has been here before and knows what to expect, no rose colored glasses. Might have even been a factor in his hiring.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We needed an anonymous coach to make us aware we haven't played worth a crap since Tebow left? We've got Law for that.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Reality can be a Biotch!

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
These coaches' comments fall into the "no $h!t Sherlock" category.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
But, it is about winning.

No it’s not. It’s much more than that. Mac won a lot his 1st two seasons. Chump went 12-2.

It’s about bringing that high octane offense culture back and expecting excellence. Do that and winning will be the byproduct.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
No it’s not. It’s much more than that. Mac won a lot his 1st two seasons. Chump went 12-2.

It’s about bringing that high octane offense culture back and expecting excellence. Do that and winning will be the byproduct.

It’s eye-test, and things that don’t show on the stat sheet. Just looking like the kids know wtf they are doing, even if they have talent problems, and scaring some teams we should lose to would be a success. Just give us hope, Obi-wan.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
But if you don't win, it's all moot.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
We needed an anonymous coach to make us aware we haven't played worth a crap since Tebow left? We've got Law for that.
Hell, Law bashes on the Tebow offenses too. If you talk to him, you'd think our 2009 offense was a total disaster.

The last time Law was even remotely happy with a Gators offense was 2001.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
2 loss (only because you missed the championship game) or 4 loss seasons are not winning a lot.

Eight or nine of the games shouldn't even be competitive.

Last edited:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We haven;t had "The Killer Instinct" in 10 years!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hell, Law bashes on the Tebow offenses too. If you talk to him, you'd think our 2009 offense was a total disaster.

The last time Law was even remotely happy with a Gators offense was 2001.
I was really happy with 2007 and 2008. I'm just not the type guy to celebrate a 90th ranked offense.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
It’s eye-test, and things that don’t show on the stat sheet. Just looking like the kids know wtf they are doing, even if they have talent problems, and scaring some teams we should lose to would be a success. Just give us hope, Obi-wan.

True. Seems like our offense lines up with a “Let’s see if we can run this play correctly” - thinking rather than just playing. Same has been true at times on defense but not so often.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

I think having a 100+ ranked offense is a stat sheet thing. Solve that and McElwain still might be at UF.

There was a bit of an eye-test thing, When the offense mucked around against some nobody and in the post game Del Rio thought it was a high powered performance, I knew he did not get it.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
2 loss (only because you missed the championship game) or 4 loss seasons are not winning a lot.

Eight or nine of the games shouldn't even be competitive.

That’s exactly my point. The win loss record doesn’t tell the whole story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb