Another Coach Thread - My Last

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
chferg;n91769 said:
i

We get 10-11 wins a season I promise you that we would win a couple SECG.

Georgia hasn't done well in that area, realistically outside of Florida no one on the East has. Since Saban's arrival the West has owned that game.

There has been 3 teams in the West that won in recent years. We are the only one from the East to do so. Yes I agree that if we win 10-11 games that it is probable, but I don't think with "I'm a man and I'm 40" will give us that chance of winning a SECC. I believe we will be the Braves of the 90's as him as our HC....same as Dabo....IMHO

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
NCOGator;n91776 said:
There has been 3 teams in the West that won in recent years. We are the only one from the East to do so. Yes I agree that if we win 10-11 games that it is probable, but I don't think with "I'm a man and I'm 40" will give us that chance of winning a SECC. I believe we will be the Braves of the 90's as him as our HC....sam as Dabo....IMHO

I respect that, can I ask who you think would get us over that hump?

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
QueenCityGator;n91630 said:
No way for Gundy. He has done mostly well on the field, but off the field there are too many concerning issues from the past. Say what you want about Muschamp's on field performance, but he has always maintained control off the field (even including recent incidents which were quickly resolved)

SI did an entire five-part (five issue) story on the problems at Okie State last year. Some problems actually occurred under Les Miles' tenure, and others under Gundy. A lot of expose' stuff, a lot of embarrassing stuff. I don't care if Gundy's putting up 100 points a game, not only do I not want him, I don't think Foley even has him on his list for those very reasons.

There have been threads promoting Chip Kelly. Not only do I not think he's leaving Philly, but I believe the NCAA has a "show-cause" hold on him for the NCAA stuff he did at Oregon. No way Foley hires him, either.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
As long as we graduate players and they make the honor roll...winning is just an added bonus.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
SavannahGator;n91792 said:
SI did an entire five-part (five issue) story on the problems at Okie State last year. Some problems actually occurred under Les Miles' tenure, and others under Gundy. A lot of expose' stuff, a lot of embarrassing stuff. I don't care if Gundy's putting up 100 points a game, not only do I not want him, I don't think Foley even has him on his list for those very reasons.

There have been threads promoting Chip Kelly. Not only do I not think he's leaving Philly, but I believe the NCAA has a "show-cause" hold on him for the NCAA stuff he did at Oregon. No way Foley hires him, either.

You do realize that in both cases the NCAA has basically cleared them. Kelly got a show-cause not for what happened but because he didn't see what was happening and as the HC you have too, and NCAA just cleared Okie St on all of the allegations that SI made.

But find me a proven winner with no question marks and I'll gladly take him, I betcha that you can't more than a handful.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
chferg;n91798 said:
You do realize that in both cases the NCAA has basically cleared them. Kelly got a show-cause not for what happened but because he didn't see what was happening and as the HC you have too, and NCAA just cleared Okie St on all of the allegations that SI made.

But find me a proven winner with no question marks and I'll gladly take him, I betcha that you can't more than a handful.

I hear Bigfoot is available...

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
chferg;n91790 said:
I respect that, can I ask who you think would get us over that hump?

That's a great question. The one that would do that is Chip Kelly, but I don't think he will leave Philly. To me it would have to be someone that can get the personnle here in the State are currently leaving and Charley Strong could do that, but he isn't coming either. Of course there is SOS, but he isn't coming either. Therefore I have to think it would have to be a combination of HC and OC that comes in here to get the personnel and coach them. That is why I think as HC Brian Schottienhimer would be a good one. He has experience in the NFL and has shown that he can devlope a QB at the Rams (lets be honest he was never given that chance at the Jets). Now to fire up the base and to get the personnel here in the state to stay I say Kerwin Bell as the OC. He has done a lot with less. I know this isn't what everyone on the board likes, but think about it. If he is successful as HC then Bell could be the "Coach in waiting" if his system is legit. I know a little homer pick, but I think we need a HC and OC that has ties to the Gators or at least LOVE being here.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
williston_gator;n91812 said:
No Shotty for me, please.

Why? No HC experience? I will give you that and that is the one thing that bothers me, but who that has it do you want?

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NCOGator;n91818 said:
Why? No HC experience? I will give you that and that is the one thing that bothers me, but who that has it do you want?

No HC experience, and not only are his offenses just not that good they are notoriously complicated verbiage wise. When they were doing well with Sanchez they had to give him an arm band that was literally red/yellow/green options for him (that could be more on Sanchez though).

I think he needs a lower tiered HC job before he sniffs a major program.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n91775 said:
I think you're taking Patterson's recruiting at TCU a little too seriously. History tells us kids will flock to UF to play for a proven winning coach.
Patterson is exactly that. I have no doubt he would do well here. As for Gundy I think he'd certainly be an upgrade, but I also think it would take him
a few years for us to contend. He is going through a little bit of what Muschamp went through last year with an injury to a starting QB. They just got
beat badly on homecoming against a decent WV squad.

Exactly. NO COACH has recruited well at these crappy schools. cherfg would be complaining about Meyer sucking at recruiting because his classes were in the 90's at Utah. They were probably even lower than that at Bowling Green. Even if he would have stayed there more than 2 years they would have still sucked. All 4 UF coaches over the last 2.5 decades have been good recruiters. I think it is more the school at this point. We need a headcoach though we can evaluate the talent himself as well as the holes on the team. Muschamp has not done that well. Patterson seems to be good at that because he doesn't exactly get the pick of the litter.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I would be OK with Dabo, Patterson or Gundy. I think Dabo would be a slam dunk. Kids already leave UF to okay for him and he has proven he can create NFL talent. Give him SEC caliber and let him go after FSU!

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
williston_gator;n91826 said:
No HC experience, and not only are his offenses just not that good they are notoriously complicated verbiage wise. When they were doing well with Sanchez they had to give him an arm band that was literally red/yellow/green options for him (that could be more on Sanchez though).

I think he needs a lower tiered HC job before he sniffs a major program.

That is true and yes I do think a lot of that was the Dirty Sanchez. However, I think with having an OC in Bell would help that as well. He could decrease that language to soemthing that is more understandable. Plus I would look at him as only being here to get a NFL HC job and he would ensure that the program is turned around.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
G 2;n91827 said:
Exactly. NO COACH has recruited well at these crappy schools. cherfg would be complaining about Meyer sucking at recruiting because his classes were in the 90's at Utah. They were probably even lower than that at Bowling Green. Even if he would have stayed there more than 2 years they would have still sucked. All 4 UF coaches over the last 2.5 decades have been good recruiters. I think it is more the school at this point. We need a headcoach though we can evaluate the talent himself as well as the holes on the team. Muschamp has not done that well. Patterson seems to be good at that because he doesn't exactly get the pick of the litter.

I think the major difference in your logic about how I think is that Utah and BG are not fertile recrutiing grounds. Texas is Texas, tons of athletes, a lot of big time players, yet Patterson hasn't sniffed top recruits in Texas while the other schools around him have.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
chferg;n91833 said:
I think the major difference in your logic about how I think is that Utah and BG are not fertile recrutiing grounds. Texas is Texas, tons of athletes, a lot of big time players, yet Patterson hasn't sniffed top recruits in Texas while the other schools around him have.

You could look at it from the flip side though. He's doing more with less. Their current starting QB was a WR a few years ago, then their QB went to rehab and he got a surprise call to be the QB. The next year the other QB came back and he went back to WR. This year he won the starting job and they are killing it. They also won the Rose Bowl with Andy Dalton....

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
williston_gator;n91840 said:
You could look at it from the flip side though. He's doing more with less. Their current starting QB was a WR a few years ago, then their QB went to rehab and he got a surprise call to be the QB. The next year the other QB came back and he went back to WR. This year he won the starting job and they are killing it. They also won the Rose Bowl with Andy Dalton....

I could go with that line of thinking. I'm not stating that I think Patterson isn't a good coach. I just don't think he's the right man for the job.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
chferg;n91833 said:

Doesn't matter where they are. Nick Saban could goto FIU or FAU and he still wouldn't have the #1 recruiting class despite being in one of the richest recruiting areas in all of Florida.

That isn't how recruiting works.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So we want a guy whose defenses finish ranked around 70th every year?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n91862 said:
So we want a guy whose defenses finish ranked around 70th every year?
You don't think they would rank higher at UF? It's a rather rich recruiting area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator