Another Coach Thread - My Last

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Patterson has 126-45 coaching record and has won 5 conference titles while coaching at TCU. Also lead them to multiple undefeated regular seasons and a few BCS bowls. Yes they struggled some the first two years being in the Big 12, but they are now ranked in the top 10 are in good position to win the conference.

As far as recruiting is concerned, TCU isn't exactly a recruiting hotbed like Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and UF. He's only been in a major conference for less than 3 years, doesn't have the tradition or facilities that bigger schools have (student body is less than 10,000), and yet he still brings in players that win. He can obviously develop talent, but I don't doubt that he could bring in the big recruits at a school like UF.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n91864 said:
You don't think they would rank higher at UF? It's a rather rich recruiting area.

See if his defenses were somewhere in the 30-40 range every year, I could buy that. You figure talent could bridge the gap to the top 10-15 or even higher. But other than an outlier year or two, this guy's defense have by and large been AWFUL. Right now they're 89th in total defense and 77th in scoring defense. That ain't gonna cut it here, not by a long shot.

I'm willing to concede that if he could somehow hire a great defensive staff, those numbers would absolutely improve. However, if you look at his body of work, I wouldn't be terribly optimistic about that.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I've just always felt that the smaller schools generally can't get the top defensive players out of high school, so they feel they don't have any choice but to always try to outscore the opponent. I doubt that a guy like Patterson doesn't care about defense - I think his options are limited there.

Now, if a guy like Patterson HAD a defense, would he become a little more conservative on offense? No way to know.

I do know that UF has almost always had a respectable defense going decades back. Those defenses in the 80's were sick. Spurrier always had loaded defenses. There is talent all over the place and I think Patterson would be licking his chops to finally land some elite defensive talent that he's never had a prayer at before.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n91873 said:
I've just always felt that the smaller schools generally can't get the top defensive players out of high school, so they feel they don't have any choice but to always try to outscore the opponent. I doubt that a guy like Patterson doesn't care about defense - I think his options are limited there.

Now, if a guy like Patterson HAD a defense, would he become a little more conservative on offense? No way to know.

I do know that UF has almost always had a respectable defense going decades back. Those defenses in the 80's were sick. Spurrier always had loaded defenses. There is talent all over the place and I think Patterson would be licking his chops to finally land some elite defensive talent that he's never had a prayer at before.

Patterson almost always has a great defense, he's a former DC. They've taken a slight step back this year, but they still perform much, much better than most Big 12 defenses.

Big difference with Patterson is he's acknowledged the need for improvement by his offense and taken the necessary steps to make it happen.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Foley really should have hired Patterson 4 years ago. Not sure why Muschamp was higher on his list.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n91865 said:
Patterson has 126-45 coaching record and has won 5 conference titles while coaching at TCU. Also lead them to multiple undefeated regular seasons and a few BCS bowls. Yes they struggled some the first two years being in the Big 12, but they are now ranked in the top 10 are in good position to win the conference.

As far as recruiting is concerned, TCU isn't exactly a recruiting hotbed like Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and UF. He's only been in a major conference for less than 3 years, doesn't have the tradition or facilities that bigger schools have (student body is less than 10,000), and yet he still brings in players that win. He can obviously develop talent, but I don't doubt that he could bring in the big recruits at a school like UF.

I like Patterson, too. Any guy that takes a moribund program and turns it into winner, much like Meyer did at Utah, should be at the top of the list. And if Snyder weren't so old every team looking for a new coach would be calling him first. Before he got there, Kansas State was forever considered one of, if not THE, worst team in division one football. Just think what a coach who can turn a perennially crappy team into a winner can do with the keys to a football Ferrari like Florida.

JohnCoctostan

Oct 27, 2014
Dabo would be a bust here. This is the picture of an average coach. He puts a lot of talent in the NFL and yet still struggles to win the pathetic ACC. He consistently does less with more. His record in the ACC is due to a talent advantage over most of the teams he plays.

He has had a ton of elite play makers and still manages to throw up a stinker or two a year. He lost to FSU without Winston, barely beat BC and struggled like hell with the 'Cuse Saturday. Clemson had 3 points at halftime, at HOME! 3-3 record in bowl games, despite having a ton of talent, including a record setting performance against WVU in the Orange Bowl a few years back. First team to give up over 70 pts in a BCS Bowl. Not to mention that he has become the new Ray Goff for SOS. The HBC flat out owns him.

We can and should do better. Guy is an elite recruiter and below average coach. Aside from his recruiting ability, he has shown nothing to lead me to believe that he will be successful in the SEC.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n91892 said:
Foley really should have hired Patterson 4 years ago. Not sure why Muschamp was higher on his list.

In fairness, Patterson was coming off a 13-0 season in which TCU had beaten Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. He wasn't going to leave after that, and I'm pretty sure when his name came up in the media during our coaching search, he flat out said he had no interest in leaving at that point. Hopefully things have changed since then.

Granted, Urban left Utah after an undefeated season, but he was always trying to move up. The one thing I think that really keeps Patterson from leaving is he's been at TCU for like 16 years now. It's pretty tough to get a coach away from a program that he built and has spent basically his entire career at.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
JohnCoctostan;n91895 said:
Dabo would be a bust here. This is the picture of an average coach. He puts a lot of talent in the NFL and yet still struggles to win the pathetic ACC. He consistently does less with more. His record in the ACC is due to a talent advantage over most of the teams he plays.

He has had a ton of elite play makers and still manages to throw up a stinker or two a year. He lost to FSU without Winston, barely beat BC and struggled like hell with the 'Cuse Saturday. Clemson had 3 points at halftime, at HOME! 3-3 record in bowl games, despite having a ton of talent, including a record setting performance against WVU in the Orange Bowl a few years back. First team to give up over 70 pts in a BCS Bowl. Not to mention that he has become the new Ray Goff for SOS. The HBC flat out owns him.

We can and should do better. Guy is an elite recruiter and below average coach. Aside from his recruiting ability, he has shown nothing to lead me to believe that he will be successful in the SEC.

He will not be our next coach.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n91901 said:
In fairness, Patterson was coming off a 13-0 season in which TCU had beaten Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. He wasn't going to leave after that, and I'm pretty sure when his name came up in the media during our coaching search, he flat out said he had no interest in leaving at that point. Hopefully things have changed since then.

Granted, Urban left Utah after an undefeated season, but he was always trying to move up. The one thing I think that really keeps Patterson from leaving is he's been at TCU for like 16 years now. It's pretty tough to get a coach away from a program that he built and has spent basically his entire career at.

From what I've always heard, they've also done all the things he's requested of them in terms of facilities and improvements, and then of course joining a conference that actually gives them the opportunity to reach their highest goals. I like the hire and would be pretty happy with him. But I agree it will be a tough pull.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
JohnCoctostan;n91895 said:

Love the user name, Fletch!
I like Gundy and Patterson. I also like Todd Graham from ASU.
Dabo? No thanks.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n91971 said:
From what I've always heard, they've also done all the things he's requested of them in terms of facilities and improvements, and then of course joining a conference that actually gives them the opportunity to reach their highest goals. I like the hire and would be pretty happy with him. But I agree it will be a tough pull.

I would go through the roof if we landed him. You wanna talk about a guy that does more with less? What would he do with the talent we have and could potentially get in the future?

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n91901 said:

I agree that it would have been tough to get him away from TCU and that's still true today, but I think Foley should have at least tried to hire him. I don't think that was the case.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
chferg;n91643 said:
What issues are you alluding too? The ones that blew up in SI were rumors, NCAA just cleared them of that.

I'm not trying to be an a**, I just honestly don't know what incidents you are pointing to.

Yes, the Sports Illustrated articles.

As it relates to Gundy, usually where there's smoke, there's fire. And those articles released a helluva lot of smoke.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
QueenCityGator;n92196 said:
Yes, the Sports Illustrated articles.

As it relates to Gundy, usually where there's smoke, there's fire. And those articles released a helluva lot of smoke.

Well with that then lets go down a list of "smoke"

1. Treon Deal
2. Alabama paying players
3. FSU
4. Kensucky paying b-ball players + WWW connection
5. etc....

The list could go on..all im saying is that even with smoke sometimes no fire ever gets started, with OSU nothing will happen as the NCAA cleared them of it.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n91980 said:
I would go through the roof if we landed him. You wanna talk about a guy that does more with less? What would he do with the talent we have and could potentially get in the future?

I've yet to hear that Patterson is interested in leaving Texas. Definitely wouldn't hurt to ask.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n91980 said:

The same could be said about Gundy

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator