Another GCMB Poll: Which one is UF's signature position?

Which position is UF best known for?

• Total voters

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
We've got three statues of Heisman quarterbacks, but I'm not sure you can say that's been our main position of strength over the past, say, 40 to 50 years.

Which one is it -- linebacker (Sammy Smith, Scot Brantley, Wilber Marshall, Brandon Spikes)? Wide receiver? Defensive Back U? And why?

Sirius answers only.

Sammy Smith???

I remember an FSU RB #33 named Sammie Smith who was drafted by the Dolphins. Coke head as I recall. Maybe they traded him for Bobby Humphrey from ‘Bama? He might have been with the Broncos.

Anyway.

You mean Sammy Green? Ralph Ortega? Glenn Cameron? David Little? Wilber? Scot?

Alex.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sammy Smith???

I remember an FSU RB #33 named Sammie Smith who was drafted by the Dolphins. Coke head as I recall. Maybe they traded him for Bobby Humphrey from ‘Bama? He might have been with the Broncos.

Anyway.

You mean Sammy Green? Ralph Ortega? Glenn Cameron? David Little? Wilber? Scot?

Alex.
Egregious and unforgivable mistake by the OP. Sammy Green, indeed. Mid-'70s guy. Great LB.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
It really depends on what generation you ask. If you ask the kids coming out of HS right now they will say DB. If you ask someone who is 25+ they might say Qb. If your asking me it's what have you done lately and that DB. I mean we claim to be DBU so how could you choose any other position.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Yes, I am crazy. I hear voices in my head, I have aggressive conversations with myself and I’ve identified 12 different personalities inside of me. Putting that aside, the whole DBU nickname came about a few years back and, as best I remember, was coined by DBs on the team at that time. Those same guys got beat big time in big games. That’s my gripe with the whole DBU nickname.
I get that it was coined recently, but it was in response to LSU claiming to be DBU. As I stated, I know that some of the more recent guys have been more bark than bite, but no way will I ever subscribe to the notion that you're putting out there. We've had some of college football's greatest DBs. I'm not even sure why this is up for debate. Anyone that's watched Florida football over the past 25 years knows that DBs has always been our staple. Defensive line is the only position group that's close to DB in terms of production.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
When you talk about a "u" (as in DBU) it means more than Heismans (since most position groups will NEVER, EVER qualify against its QB/RB bias). To me it means All-Americans and movement on to the next level.

We've had one QB who had decent success at the next level, and he didn't even win The Pose.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Yes, I am crazy. I hear voices in my head, I have aggressive conversations with myself and I’ve identified 12 different personalities inside of me. Putting that aside, the whole DBU nickname came about a few years back and, as best I remember, was coined by DBs on the team at that time. Those same guys got beat big time in big games. That’s my gripe with the whole DBU nickname.
Is that a unanimous opinion?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Battling for "field position" is a LOT more fun than scoring a lot of quick points. I hated the SOS years...

Not.
Foley’s greatest failure. He didn’t understand the fan base and tried to shove his ****ty vision of football down our throats.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
When you talk about a "u" (as in DBU) it means more than Heismans (since most position groups will NEVER, EVER qualify against its QB/RB bias). To me it means All-Americans and movement on to the next level.

We've had one QB who had decent success at the next level, and he didn't even win The Pose.
That's basically the same for every single school.

There are 128 schools who probably graduate a QB every two years on average and only 32 starting NFL QBs, many of whom start for a decade.

The odds are against every team and even against every Heisman QB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator