Another Guitar Thread

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
One of my biggest regrets in life is that I never took up an instrument. I'm working on rectifying that. Just had an old guitar re-strung for a lefty and plan on starting lessons. Should be playing like this guy in a couple months.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
One of my biggest regrets in life is that I never took up an instrument. I'm working on rectifying that. Just had an old guitar re-strung for a lefty and plan on starting lessons. Should be playing like this guy in a couple months.
235456c071a9b04356b1e793c1ba3041.jpg

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Every year there's a Chet Atkins appreciation event in Nashville - highly recommended if you want your mind blown by the talent that gathers there.

And Tommy's occasional jamming partner Doyle Dykes:

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
What kind of guitar do you have? I've been playing for 30 + years. I would be happy to help if you run into some problems.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
What kind of guitar do you have? I've been playing for 30 + years. I would be happy to help if you run into some problems.
That's awesome. I think it would be great to just sit and play by myself. I love all kinds of music and think I have a decent ear but I know nothing at all about reading music or playing. I don't know the name of the guitar but it's a six string that belonged to my wife when she was younger. It's nothing expensive but it sounds pretty good.

Do you think it's better for a beginner to try learning on an electric or an acoustic?

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I would suggest maybe starting out with something inexpensive and a little easier to master that seems to suit your personality like a kazoo. :headbang:
Plus your granchildren would probably enjoy playing along with Grandpa with their rythym sticks.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's awesome. I think it would be great to just sit and play by myself. I love all kinds of music and think I have a decent ear but I know nothing at all about reading music or playing. I don't know the name of the guitar but it's a six string that belonged to my wife when she was younger. It's nothing expensive but it sounds pretty good.

Do you think it's better for a beginner to try learning on an electric or an acoustic?

With scales like that it doesn't matter.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I would suggest maybe starting out with something inexpensive and a little easier to master that seems to suit your personality like a kazoo. :headbang:
Plus your granchildren would probably enjoy playing along with Grandpa with their rythym sticks.
Words hurt.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014

The best guitar / set up is the one that you will play every day. So it really depends on you. I started playing when I was 6 with an old acoustic. My grandparents were musicians and always had guitars laying around. Back then, one had to shell out some serious dough to get a good-playing guitar. That's not the case now days.

The most important thing is how the guitar fits you and the action (distance from fret to string). It's difficult enough to learn without fighting the guitar. You should be able to fret it without too much struggle. Sound is the next thing. I have a few classical guitars (nylon string) and work on classical technique quite a bit. They all have their own sound. My dad wanted to learn to play so he bought one on e bay. I picked it up and just couldn't put it down--and that's really what you want to find. It didn't fret as easy as the other guitars, but the sound more than made up for it. But I was already used to playing. You should probably focus more on the guitar that is most comfortable.

Another thing to consider is that the acoustic is more portable and easier to pick up spontaneously. You can have one sitting next to your couch and just pick it up whenever. And electric guitar you have to fool with plugging it in, buying an amp, probably an effects pedal, then all the noise that goes with it. You have to develop your picking hand technique to control the noise, etc.. Plus if you want to take it with you then you have to fool with hauling all that shyt around.

The best case scenario is to have both. Even better, a steel string acoustic, a nylon string acoustic, and an electric. Classical technique on a nylon string guitar will work wonders with your fretting hand. Plus you are less likely to develop nerve damage or muscle strains due to poor technique. You don't necessarily have to take up the classical discipline; you can just use a pick (plectrum) rather than picking with your fingers. But the thicker nylon strings are great for developing certain techniques.

If you're looking to buy a guitar, Alvarez makes some great playing guitars without breaking the bank. I played an Alvarez AD 30 the other day and it played better than any of my more expensive guitars--sounded good too!. You can pick one up for about $250. I would just make a trip to some music stores and play as many as you can. Learn a couple of chords on the guitar you have if it's not too much struggle. If you're comfortable with the guitar you have then great, but if not you can find some nice playing guitars at a reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.