Another UF QB article

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Pressure's on McElwain to find a QB:

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/fl...elwain-must-solve-floridas-qb-problem-year-3/

Pressure’s on: McElwain must solve Florida’s QB problem in Year 3

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – When Jim McElwain took the Florida job in December 2014, he made a joke about having so much confidence in his offense that he could win with his dog at quarterback. At the time, it was good for a few chuckles as a preview of McElwain’s folksy humor. Two seasons of offenses ranked in the triple digits and a 19-8 record later, the joke doesn’t get the same kind of laughs.

Entering his third year on the job, McElwain will be overseeing his third quarterback battle. None have involved his dog, Claire-a-bell – yet.

After two seasons of McElwain coaching quarterbacks he inherited (Will Grier and Treon Harris) and quarterbacks he signed as transfers (Luke Del Rio and Austin Appleby), this could be the year we finally get to see McElwain coach a quarterback he signed out of high school. After Del Rio’s struggles in 2016, all eyes are on redshirt freshmen Feleipe Franks and Kyle Trask.

Franks and Trask took different paths to Florida. Franks was a 4-star recruit out of Wakulla High in Crawfordville, Fla., the No. 5 pro-style quarterback and on the radar of many Power 5 programs, including UF and LSU. The Tigers had Franks’ pledge at the start of the 2015 season, but the uncertainty surrounding Les Miles’ situation along with Florida’s pitch of being closer to home and the possibility of early playing time led him to flip his commitment.

Trask’s recruitment was not nearly as high-profile. The Gators shocked the college football world when they offered Trask, a backup on his own Manvel, Texas, high school team, on July 25. He committed the next day. McElwain and offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier were impressed watching Trask throw in person.

At Florida, we’ve only seen Franks and Trask in game-like situations during the spring game. At that time, Trask appeared to be the one more ready to see the field in the fall, as he was more comfortable with the offense and mechanically sharper. Franks appeared to be overwhelmed by the moment, throwing three interceptions in his first four passing attempts. He looked like the more obvious redshirt candidate of the two, but things changed.

Any time Del Rio was injured this past season, McElwain claimed that Franks was the backup to Appleby. Franks obviously did not get to play in any actual games, but if McElwain was being truthful, just being the backup is a significant sign of the freshman’s progress.

Fans shouldn’t get too excited over Franks’ progress since he did not see the field, but if he was already ahead of Trask in September (Tennessee game when he was Appleby’s backup), it’s an indication he is responding well to McElwain and Nussmeier’s coaching. With his 6-foot-6, 219-pound frame and well-documented arm strength, Franks should have an edge if he proves he can handle the mental aspect of the game.

Still, it might be unfair to give up on Del Rio just yet. He is, after all, someone McElwain first noticed in 8th grade and the only experienced quarterback on the roster.

His stats from this season aren’t impressive (114 of 201, 1,358 yards, 8 TDs, 8 INTs), but it’s worth pointing out that he was injured during two of the six games he played in and might not have been fully healed after his knee injury in Week 3. McElwain said that when Del Rio injured his shoulder against Arkansas, the last game he appeared in, he wasn’t forthcoming about his injury.

Whether it’s Del Rio, Franks or Trask leading the way in 2016, McElwain needs this to be the year it all comes together at the quarterback position. As the Florida defense continues to lose key starters to the NFL Draft, it’s quite clear that it won’t be the same dominant unit able to do the heavy lifting week in, week out in the SEC. The offense will actually have to outscore a few opponents to make the 2017 season a successful one for the Gators.

And that offense has the potential to be good. The Gators will return two established play-makers and solid depth at wide receiver, a feature running back and two complementary ball-carriers, and an offensive line with several multi-year starters. The goal for 2017 is simple for McElwain – make sure the fans stop asking to see Claire-a-bell at quarterback.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
My biggest fear is that McElwain will start Del Rio next year.

I know it is possible that Del Rio beats out Franks/Trask and is really the player we saw against Kentucky last year, but Franks/Trask are the future and one performance against Kentucky doesn't give me hope.

I am debating on going to Dallas for the game against Michigan and I almost want to wait until a starting QB is announced before making that decision... reality is I'll probably go anyway because it isn't often I get to see the Gators play in person anymore.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My biggest fear is that McElwain will start Del Rio next year.

I know it is possible that Del Rio beats out Franks/Trask and is really the player we saw against Kentucky last year, but Franks/Trask are the future and one performance against Kentucky doesn't give me hope.

I am debating on going to Dallas for the game against Michigan and I almost want to wait until a starting QB is announced before making that decision... reality is I'll probably go anyway because it isn't often I get to see the Gators play in person anymore.
shut your mouth. Do not give him any ideas.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
he was already ahead of Trask in September (Tennessee game when he was Appleby’s backup

Trask will be third string at best next year. FF and LDR will battle for the starting job. Not sure who it will be but I would NOT be surprised if it is LDR.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Oh, we're talking about Mac and our Quarterbacks?

eee7dcf9682710ad0a3875718352e5cf.gif

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Franks or Trask.

Del Rio can become a GA and also run our twitter account since he seems to love tweeting so much.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There is no reason for Del Taco to start. Mac has to go with one of the other two guys. I don't care if it is Franks or Trask as long as they win. If Del Rio starts in Dallas, then Mac has sealed his fate.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I am debating on going to Dallas for the game against Michigan and I almost want to wait until a starting QB is announced before making that decision...
Yeah really think we have a chance if we send out a QB who has never taken even a single college snap?

Lol. Its like some of you have never even watched college football.

Last edited:

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
The greatest def basketball player of all time...................Has the rings to prove it.
Won national titles in a college you never heard of.

The Dons of the University of San Francisco. Teammate there and with Celtics...KC Jones.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If LDR is so devoid of what it takes to be a major school's QB, then Franks (trask) has to be able to beat him out.
A few major schools proceeded last year with a freshman QB. Yet Franks & Trask are not stone cold rookie QBs.
Mac better have our QB ready to blow away our opponent, to show QB directorial dominance. That's one thing
these Gators need. Another need is for an OC who can devise an offense and transfer its workings to his athletes: devise an O-scheme that is complex enough to fool opposing defenses, keep them
guessing.

Last edited:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah really think we have a chance if we send out a QB who has never taken even a single college snap?

Lol. Its like some of you have never even watched college football.

It is football there is always a chance. Michigan has lost a lot of starters. If we can take care of the ball and play decent on defense then yes... I think we have a chance. Every QB has to take their first snap sometime. I would have preferred he got some game action last year, but since that isn't the case... I'd rather it be him vs. Del Rio. Even if it means taking lumps.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You're deluding yourself if you think LDR won't be under center in September.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.