Antonneous Clayton must wait his turn behind stacked Gators’ DE group

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
A lot of people been asking about Clayton, but honestly, DE is one area we have a lot of bodies.....and if K. Davis wasn't suspended (and laid up in the hospital) he'd be ahead of Clayton as well.

Former top recruit Antonneous Clayton must wait his turn behind stacked Gators’ DE group

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...ayton-must-wait-his-turn-behind-stacked-group

Fans love recruiting rankings, get fixated on them, expect them to be flawless predictors of a player’s potential and timeline for success.

That’s why the question comes in about every day. What is the deal with Florida sophomore Antonneous Clayton?

He was ranked the No. 2 weakside defensive end in the 2006 signing class, according to the 247Sports composite. Rivals.com, meanwhile, gave him the elite 5-star rating. He was Florida’s top overall recruit in the Class of 2016, but he has yet to emerge as a factor.

And yet, although he totaled just 3 tackles and 3 quarterback hurries in five games last fall and has less tackles (zero) than quarterback Luke Del Rio (1), punter Johnny Townsend (1) and fourth-string running back Adarius Lemons (1) so far this season, he remains among the most asked-about players on the roster.

Which brings us to the latest “Question of the Day” …

Jereld F. asks … “Is Clayton gonna get more playing time? Heard he’s practicing hard.”

The explanation to Clayton’s predicament is simple.

Defensive end has become Florida’s deepest position group with sophomore Jachai Polite emerging as a future star alongside established veterans CeCe Jefferson, Jabari Zuniga and Jordan Sherit.

Clayton is a third-string defensive end right now, not because he isn’t talented or doesn’t still possess plenty of potential, but because there are simply too many proven playmakers ahead of him on the depth chart.

Zuniga, a redshirt sophomore, led the Gators with 5 sacks last season and has 3.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks and 5 quarterback hurries so far in 2017. Sherit, a fifth-year senior, has shown he’s at full strength coming back from a knee injury. He had 5 quarterback hurries last week against Vanderbilt and has 3.5 TFLs, 2 sacks and 7 QBHs overall. Jefferson, a junior with as much star potential as anybody on the Florida defense, has 5 TFLs, 2.5 sacks and 4 QBHs already. And Polite is up to 4 TFLs, 2 sacks, 5 QBHs and a forced fumble.

While the Gators’ defense has shown vulnerability, the pressure generated from the line has been a consistent strength.

So which of those four guys is Clayton supposed to be playing over exactly?

He was very candid this preseason in acknowledging he was behind in the playbook last fall and undersized. He said then that he had added 40 pounds and gained comfort within the defense. He continues to work in practice, which is all he can do.

https://twitter.com/antonneousc/status/907660396424830976
antonneous clayton @antonneousc
Just gotta keep chopping... can't give up
1f624.png
1f624.png
1f611.png

1:41 PM - Sep 12, 2017

He’s no doubt frustrated, but barring injury to the aforementioned guys ahead of him, Clayton has to wait his turn.

Sherit will be gone after this season. Jefferson might be ready to jump to the NFL, as well. Clayton’s opportunity will come.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Jeez, if he was the # 2 weakside DE in the 2006 class, he should be dominant. A 28 year old grown azz man playing against 18 years old kids should have a YUUUUUGE advantage. :)

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Can we have 2 DEs play DT ? About the same weight difference. I vote yes.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think there isn't much difference between him and those other ones. He was giving Taylor all kinds of fits in that spring game.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
jeez, these writers are having to listen to Mac so much that "and yet" is creeping into their writing.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jeez, if he was the # 2 weakside DE in the 2006 class, he should be dominant. A 28 year old grown azz man playing against 18 years old kids should have a YUUUUUGE advantage. :)

SECCountry.com - where mediocre journalists thrive

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
He was ranked the No. 2 weakside defensive end in the 2006 signing class, according to the 247Sports composite. Rivals.com, meanwhile, gave him the elite 5-star rating. He was Florida’s top overall recruit in the Class of 2016, but he has yet to emerge as a factor.

He may be getting more years of eligibility than Debois.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Can he play LB?
No, but we should move all the 240 (or less) pounders like CeCe to linebacker.

Btw, I just noticed that they are listing Polite at 260 again. I hate to say I told you so but..... no I love saying I told you so. He has never been above 255-260 a day in his life.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Btw, I just noticed that they are listing Polite at 260 again. I hate to say I told you so but..... no I love saying I told you so. He has never been above 255-260 a day in his life.

See, didn't I tell you. I told you so -- Swonky can't wait to say I told you so.

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member

It can be done. I seem to recall a player named Lavon Kirkland who played that heavy, and played the position pretty good. Heck most of Sabans guys are that big.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.